• Gumball Rally Godfather

Did anyone go to the Shag event on Saturday? Caution: Numerous Photos

I was visiting the Park last weekend with my family (2 adults and 5 kids ages 14-21 PLUS 5 of their friends=12 people), anywho, I attended the release of the new Shag merchandise at Disneyana.
    I bought one of the new aloha shirts, an embroidered pillow, and a small version of Shag's interpretation of Disneyland in 1955.
    The cool thing was that Shag was in the next door in the Main Street Cinema signing his name to purchases made at Disneyana!
    I really liked the map, but the large version was rather pricey at $400 (I think), and framed it was $760(although the framing and matting was very cool)
    Well, they were offering the smaller print for $18 and you could get it framed and matted to look just like the larger version for and additional $70. So I bought my little $18 print, ran it next door and waited in line for about 40 minutes to have it signed (Thanks to Martha Blanding of Merchandise Event Services for allowing me to be the last person to get stuff signed before Shag went to lunch), then I went back to Disneyana and threw down another $70 to have it matted and framed and shipped. What a deal. A signed, matted and framed Shag print for under $100.
    Cool!

Did anyone else go the event on saturday?
    Last edited by Circarama; 11-14-2005 at 06:45 PM. Reason: add photos
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Did anyone go to the Shag event on Saturday?

i did!! i'm too lazy to post all the pix again!
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...highlight=shag
    <o>

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i did!! i'm too lazy to post all the pix again!
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...highlight=shag
    Aw, come on! Move 'em over here!!
    At least the ones of you!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Prefect

Blog Entries

ok...here are a couple.

PC & SorcererMikey

PC & SHAG
    <o>

• Disneyland Goober

I went and holy crap I'm in your pics Circarama! In the 3rd one down, I'm the girl furthest right looking oh so happy! haha That was a long line! I have bright red and black hair if you saw me. I got two of the smaller maps for me and my mom. Here's a lovely moment, in one of the map packagings apparently two pictures were under the matting...total lucky draw I guess. But when the lady took it out for him to sign and realized it she took it away from me. I know technically it was a packaging mistake and I'm only supposed to get one in each, but I can't say I wasn't a little sad/disappointed...I'm a starving artist, $18 is kind of a lot for it. Ah well, I soon got over it, now it's a joke. My aunt got a mug set in a hat box for my parents and a map for herself. It was a nice coincidence he was there when my relatives were visiting and going to Disneyland. I love the Shag merchandise!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Did anyone go to the Shag event on Saturday? Caution: Numerous Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    What a deal. A signed, matted and framed Shag print for under $100.
    Cool!

Did anyone else go the event on saturday?
    Sounds like a deal.. Too bad it wasnt a serigraph print Oh well- still cheap and very nice-looking

I wish I could have gone. I had to work all day Saturday and couldn't afford to get it off since I'm saving up to go to Disneyland for a couple days this New Year's - Disneyland Hotel isn't cheap I went to the other product release though when they released the 5 lands and got myself the petite prints of that set - I got all 5 prints signed by Shag - best I could come to getting the nice $1000 set of serigraph prints!

I wish I had had the money for the $300 big map. I would love to have that on my wall!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• All? NO, ALL!

Nope, the line was too long. I'm pretty sure you can't bring past purchases for him to sign either.

• Merry 2014!

I knew they would have a smaller version of the big map. When I went to DL, the cast member wasn't saying a thing about it. One more shag item I must have; one more twenty to plunk down. I may just have to make a quick trip to get it. LOL
    Congrats those who got their maps signed!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

I thought the event was fine,it was before the park opened that there was a problem .This jerk argued with my wife about being first in line and said he was going to punch her if she didn't let him go first even though she was first in line. Seem he wanted to buy the original picture by Shag and thought if he wasn't first ,he wasn't going to get it. She stood her ground and made him go to another turnstile. Good thing I was in the parking garage or there could have been trouble. Ends up he got the picture anyway for $20,000. If he that type of money he should have stayed at a hotel and got early entry.He also should have offered to buy my stuff and I would have let him go first.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn
    I thought the event was fine,it was before the park opened that there was a problem .This jerk argued with my wife about being first in line and said he was going to punch her if she didn't let him go first even though she was first in line. Seem he wanted to buy the original picture by Shag and thought if he wasn't first ,he wasn't going to get it. She stood her ground and made him go to another turnstile. Good thing I was in the parking garage or there could have been trouble. Ends up he got the picture anyway for $20,000. If he that type of money he should have stayed at a hotel and got early entry.He also should have offered to buy my stuff and I would have let him go first.
    I heard about the guy who purchased the original as being the first one in the store, but I didn't hear about how he got to be the first one in the store.
    With guys like that, ya just wanna pull out the AmEx card and buy the damn thing just to piss them off... then offer it to them for an extra $1000!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Mr. Toad's Wild Tongue

Looksie, it's me in pixie's post! It was nice meeting you PC. My friend didn't get half the things we were talking about :P

Anyhow, I did plunk down a good chunk of change to get the map plus 2 of the small prints (with a friend's help I got 35 percent off!). I saw the dude that got the original print. When we were in line outside of Disneyana, a CM asked the line if there was anyone here to buy the original. He stuck up his hand like 40 feet in the air at about the speed of light. It ends up he was buying it for a friend... must be one good friend for him to threaten punching out a woman.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I was there too, and purchased print #31. Been waiting MONTHS for
    this release. BUT the size of the print was so enormous, but was able
    to fit it in my car. So happy to get one, But the size of the print, even
    unframmed, was SO big, that I ended up returning it. AUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

There were a few things that I did have SHAG sign, a small print of his
    DL map, and the Box with the DL map laminated on top. Also had to
    get one of the shirts. When I asked Shag if any more DL projects were
    on the horizon, he said not for a few years.

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I went and was in line right behind Aladdin. I really enjoyed meeting Shag. I've been a fan of his for a long time, and he was very nice and unaffected. He seemed flattered that people were willing to wait in line to see him and buy his work. I got the carry-all bag - it's sort of an overnighter bag - and I asked him to write something about travel on it, so he wrote "On the go with Shag"! Now when I travel with it, I'll feel like a real jet-setter!

• Mr. Toad's Wild Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    I was there too, and purchased print #31. Been waiting MONTHS for
    this release. BUT the size of the print was so enormous, but was able
    to fit it in my car. So happy to get one, But the size of the print, even
    unframmed, was SO big, that I ended up returning it. AUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

There were a few things that I did have SHAG sign, a small print of his
    DL map, and the Box with the DL map laminated on top. Also had to
    get one of the shirts. When I asked Shag if any more DL projects were
    on the horizon, he said not for a few years.
    Sorry to hear you returned it... sounds like you've been waiting as long as I have! It is a very big print and I'm wondering if I have to borrow someone else's car to fit it in. Should've measured the framed store sample... i'm sure I can fit it in my back seat. I think they felt obligated to supersize the print especially for 400 bucks :P