Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Could Disney make The Haunted Mansion scarier?

Hey guys, as some of you guys may or may not know, my favorite ride in Disneyland is The Haunted Mansion. I've been in the ride enough times to make anyone's head spin.

But what if for next year's halloween celebration instead of doing The Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay, they make "upgrades" to the Haunted Mansion. Now I know what some of you are saying "Why would you ever think of messing with a Disney classic?".

If Space Mountain can be made scary, why can't they rev up the scare for The Haunted Mansion.

I'm talking about:

- The return of The Hatbox Ghost and the addition of new frightning animatronics and ride effects.

- A cast member actually being in the knight during the hallway scene.

- Each doom buggie having a mechanism that randomly spins each one in circles unexpectedly, different configurations for each one.

- Different lighting like instead of just black or grey, maybe putting in red or green. Could you imagine the graveyard scene instead of nighttime having a red overlay?

That's just many ideas and many examples of what I would perceive. Let's give people the actual feelings of terror, dark ambience and just pure fear.

And before this gets out of hand, I LOVE THE HAUNTED MANSION I would never want them to change anything and take the classic feel of the ride away however this is just for opinionative and creative purposes and was not made to criticize the ride, WDI or any of the hardworking people at the park.

It'd just be awesome to get a real scare out of people, why not at the scariest attraction in the whole park?

Also if you agree with this idea, what other stuff could they do to make The Haunted Mansion scarier?
    Last edited by Mr. Gaston; 09-18-2010 at 10:49 AM.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: Could Disney make The Haunted Mansion scarier?

It's a good idea, but you would only hear the sound of little kids crying.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    It's a good idea, but you would only hear the sound of little kids crying.
    They could always add a disclaimer like with Ghost Galaxy that the upgrade may be too frightning for younger children.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, I am not opposed intrinsically to making the attic the "scary scene" it once was, with silent and ominous bride, a new sinister Hatbox Ghost, and the screaming pop up heads...that all has precedent and fits the character of the Mansion being a series of depictions of various things you'd expect to encounter in a haunted house.

Having random loud jump scare noises at times...no, thank you. It's lame in horror movies when just done for a cheap scare, and would be lame here. Make atmosphere and ambiance creepier, sure. I wouldn't mind the Knight returning sometimes, but specifically swinging a prop sword at guests sounds like asking for trouble to me.

They could certainly do more with the ambiant sound and doombuggy systems, say for example the effect of footsteps coming down the endless hallway towards you, ghost unseen, and then a blast of chilled air. There was once a proposed effect of a mirror being hung in the corridor of doors with a HM "maid" or disembodied female spirit trapped inside, banging on the mirror glass, trying to get free: that would certainly be eerier.

I think if the attic skews slightly more towards frightening and ominous once more, the balance will be pretty much perfect between creepy and fun.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Well, I am not opposed intrinsically to making the attic the "scary scene" it once was, with silent and ominous bride, a new sinister Hatbox Ghost, and the screaming pop up heads...that all has precedent and fits the character of the Mansion being a series of depictions of various things you'd expect to encounter in a haunted house.

Having random loud jump scare noises at times...no, thank you. It's lame in horror movies when just done for a cheap scare, and would be lame here. Make atmosphere and ambiance creepier, sure. I wouldn't mind the Knight returning sometimes, but specifically swinging a prop sword at guests sounds like asking for trouble to me.

They could certainly do more with the ambiant sound and doombuggy systems, say for example the effect of footsteps coming down the endless hallway towards you, ghost unseen, and then a blast of chilled air. There was once a proposed effect of a mirror being hung in the corridor of doors with a HM "maid" or disembodied female spirit trapped inside, banging on the mirror glass, trying to get free: that would certainly be eerier.

I think if the attic skews slightly more towards frightening and ominous once more, the balance will be pretty much perfect between creepy and fun.
    That's definitely something I'd want Disney to explore, tons of excellent ideas you have. I guess what I was trying to express was not the idea to make old people have heart attacks (haha) but to make you feel actually terror as your riding the ride, to make you have goosebumps etc.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

This^

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

If you wan't a scarier version of HM just go on Snow White.

I'm serious, that ride freaks me out and is THE most scariest ride I've ever been on. LOL.

• I'm a Lutheran

I've been working on my own refurbishment for the Haunted Mansion (Also my absolute favorite attraction) for quite some time now. My plan includes some new aspects such as:

- The Haunted Mansion remains in its original state for the Halloween season. Come November 1 it will close down until November 17 when it returns as HMH. HMH then lasts through the Christmas season (Which would also start on the 17) until January 5 when the Christmas season ends. On January 20 it would be back in business until November 1. That gives a win-win situation for fans of the classic HM and the wonderfully macabre HMH. That gives HMH about a month and a half of operation which can appeal to as said before fans of the holiday version (Some people don't realize how popular the overlay is). Approximately 51 days of holiday fun. Then you have 32 days of installing and uninstalling HMH. Add 51 and 32 to get 83. Subtract 83 from 365 and you get 282 days of the regular mansion. Definitely a win-win situation for all of us, except those few people who don't like HM or HMH.

My other ideas are kind of hard to explain, lol.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Wanna be Sub Mermaid

Of course they can make it scarier! Should they? Not entirely. I agree that the attic scene would be the most appropriate place for a creepier feel, I REALLY like RegionsBeyond's ghost maid trapped in the mirror idea. That is genius

• We Go On.

^The mirror effect is a good idea, but it's not hers. If you noticed, she mentions that it was once proposed for the corridor of doors.

Yes, make it scarier. Kids can handle it. If some of them cry, so what?

• Down Pluto!

Yes they could - but why? I haven't seen an even half-way decent reason to do so. If you want scary then go to Knotts.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    ^The mirror effect is a good idea, but it's not hers. If you noticed, she mentions that it was once proposed for the corridor of doors.
    Yes, not original on my part..I just like the idea There was concept art published in a few places from Disney for the effect, but it never materialized in the HM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

Add a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Yes they could - but why? I haven't seen an even half-way decent reason to do so. If you want scary then go to Knotts.
    *Because it's called "The Haunted Mansion"
    *Because it's fun to be scared

The least they could do is update the audio and lighting and fix the pop-up ghosts.
    I'd love to see the attic scene become more like the original. And lose that atmosphere-killing Spanish safety warning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast