Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Idea for Location of a Third Gate (extreme blue sky)

One of the bigger complaints about early DCA that I've heard is that it is a relatively small park owing to its location on the former Disneyland 100-acre parking lot. Now if a third park would ever be constructed at the Disneyland resort, where should it be built to avoid that particular criticism? My idea is radical, and most likely impossible, but I think it would ensure that any future park (not a small, exclusive boutique park) would have plenty of room for an efficient layout with plenty of attractions.

My idea is this: Take over the entire Anaheim Convention Center property, including all the hotels and the few blocks of housing at from West St. along Orangewood Ave. to Eugene St. In essence, this is all the land inside the borders of Harbor Blvd., West St. and Orangewood Ave. In this plan, the stretch of Katella Ave. that goes between the backside of DCA and the convention center would be buried in a new tunnel beneath the new facility.

In order to connect the new park with the existing Disneyland Resort Complex there are several options. The monorail could be expanded to the new park's entrance plaza (possibly above the Katella tunnel), or a new peoplemover-style transport could be built around the resort, taking you to the existing hotels, the two existing parks, the parking areas and the new third park. Of course you'd need new parking areas to handle the increased capacity that a new park would bring, but where to build it? How about underground under the new park?

I know this is impossible and it would never happen, but I think that this is the only way that a third gate would even be feasible in the crowded Anaheim area? What do you think? Would anywhere else in Anaheim work for a third gate that's not a tiny, expensive, exclusive park? Let me know what you think!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Re: Idea for Location of a Third Gate (extreme blue sky)

How about the triangle lot east of Harbor and north of katella? Taking out Harbor street. So the entrance of the third land would be part of the central hub. Making it easier for walking for guest.

Imagine walking from Dtown Disney to the central hub. You would see Disneyland on the left, DCA on the right, and the third gate in front of you. IT would kind of look grand too. Walking through the baggage check and tickets you would see three parks to choose from right in front of you.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hi there, BassBone. The cleared property along Harbor Blvd where the last of the strawberry fields was is where Disney has indicated theme park three will go. Mark my words when the time comes, Disney will buy up all the adjacent property that it needs to build a humongous gate.

That said, your idea of buying up the land the convention center and it's surroundings is a wonderful idea as it is already inside Anaheim's entertainment district. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if Disney expands onto both of these areas in the future. Your idea as it relates to becoming a part of the Disneyland Resort demonstrates what a creative aptitude for business that you have. Prospective venture's that are right on the money are most always seemingly impossible to the non-creative followers of conventional wisdom.

Great thread! Great idea!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-18-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Where are the former Strawberry Fields again? Disney has to use that space for more than a parking garage.
    Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 09-18-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Where are the former Strawberry Fields again? Disney has to use that space for more than a parking garage.
    Yeah. It's being paved over as an contengency measure in order to handle any overflow parking capacity problems associated with the potentially highly popular remake of DCA. I hope Disney isn't planning on turning it into a monolithic multi-level parking structure. If it's simply a paved parking lot, then they can easily tear it out to make room for another park.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    If it's simply a paved parking lot, then they can easily tear it out to make room for another park.
    If a 3rd park is built on that parking lot, TDA has to build another parking lot to compensate the loss of parking space.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I thought a new structure was going in the Pumbaa lot?

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    If a 3rd park is built on that parking lot, TDA has to build another parking lot to compensate the loss of parking space.
    They should buy the mobile home property just off Katella where the Suncal housing development was going to be built and build another parking garage there for the third gate. That would be the best location for another parking garage as it's close to the freeway and close to the Toy Story lot. Hopefully the new structure at Pumbaa will be able to handle all the DL and DCA traffic.

Ideally they'd build a People Mover system that went from there to the entry of the third gate and over to the Pumbaa parking structure where the future Anaheim resort monorail system will likely connect with the DLR. Even if they can't get any of the adjacent land Toy Story and the employee K lot are enough for a nice sized gate. If they can buy up more of the housing (or if they already have it and are using local property management firms to rent it out until they're ready to use it,) they could build a very large park on that site. A lot rests on the success of DCA over the next few years.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I thought a new structure was going in the Pumbaa lot?
    There will be, but I don't think that will be enough to make up for the loss of CM parking in the K-lot, and certainly won't be big enough for the guests of a third gate.

• The kid in the back room.

IGNORE THIS... I got confused... :P
    Off to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in 2013!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Met Demi Lovato at DCA on 9/24/2010! <3
    ------------------------------------------------------

• WishICouldBePartofYourWWW

I would be wary of cannibalizing the convention center -- conventions are a big part of Anaheim tourism, too. I know a lot of people go to Anaheim for a convention, but bring the family for a disney vacation. Disney even sells "evening-entrance" discounted tickets for convention goers. And without a convention center, where would the D23 expo be held?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    They should buy the mobile home property just off Katella where the Suncal housing development was going to be built and build another parking garage there for the third gate. That would be the best location for another parking garage as it's close to the freeway and close to the Toy Story lot. Hopefully the new structure at Pumbaa will be able to handle all the DL and DCA traffic.

I do think that they should try to buy that land since it does not seem like the proposed hotels will be built any time soon. That land might be perfect for a new structure but i believe that they have been in negotiations to buy more land next to Pumbaa lot so that the new structure could be built bigger than planned.

The land that SUncal wanted to use would then be perfect for backstage infrustructure for a third gate in the strawberry field.

Doing that would allow them to use more of the strawberry field for actuall park use. They could then build an access tunnel under the street to the previous mobile home property. The street is not very wide and a small tunnel would be a good investment

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OP: Surely you have a concept of money.

Tearing out a convention center and a bunch of high rise hotels to redevelop them as a theme park? Accross the street from an empty field/parking lot that Disney owns? That they paid TOP DOLLAR to finally get?

Did you really think this through?

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    OP: Surely you have a concept of money.

Tearing out a convention center and a bunch of high rise hotels to redevelop them as a theme park? Accross the street from an empty field/parking lot that Disney owns? That they paid TOP DOLLAR to finally get?

Did you really think this through?
    Did you not notice that I said it was impossible and extreme blue sky. This is nothing but fantasy, dude.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by JDN View Post
    I would be wary of cannibalizing the convention center -- conventions are a big part of Anaheim tourism, too. I know a lot of people go to Anaheim for a convention, but bring the family for a disney vacation. Disney even sells "evening-entrance" discounted tickets for convention goers. And without a convention center, where would the D23 expo be held?
    The convention center is old and the layout is inefficient. They might as well relocate that close by, but get it out of the way.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast