Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the deal with the Hat Box Ghost?

As a kid (80s-90s), I was freaked out by that Bride with the faceless face and dress and the red beating heart. "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?" I thought... In fact that was the scariest thing on the ride left in my subconscious, but whats the obsession with the Hat Box Ghost? I guess the story is she cut off his head and the illusion didn't work, but why is everyone bent on bringing it back? I liked it better with just the random scary bride, It FREAKED ME OUT. Now its more of a story thing with the new pretty bride. Not scary. Kind of funny, but not disturbing.

The new effects are cool, but not disturbing like the old bride was.

I think the old random heart beating bride was WAY more scary than the new one. Discuss.

Also Discuss why people are so into hat box ghost. I admit it would be cool to see it in the ride but why the obsession?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Whats the deal with the Hat Box Ghost?

If you read the other 50 billion threads on this, you'll see why a group of people want an effect, that only a few saw, back. As far as a story. Many ideas have been thrown around.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-19-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Forgotten Spirit

As for Constance's story...meh..its okay. I prefer the story about the Sea Captain killing his bride for "cheating" on him with the suitor (who was the HBGhost) and then he kills the suitor and hangs himself. There are TONS of variations on the story...

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I've always liked to think that there's no one story that fits the Haunted Mansion. You experience it, take in all the scenes, and build a story in your mind that fits what you see. No two people will see it in the same way. And that's the best Disney magic possible.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    As for Constance's story...meh..its okay. I prefer the story about the Sea Captain killing his bride for "cheating" on him with the suitor (who was the HBGhost) and then he kills the suitor and hangs himself. There are TONS of variations on the story...
    I like this "story" too.
    Even though I heard (very similar) it sorta differently. Killed himself in despair after he realized he was the tailor doing a final dress fitting. Also helps with the "elevator" spiel ( "there's always my way").
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    i admit it would be cool to see it in the ride but why the obsession?
    <-------Awesome!!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As a kid growing up I had the HM record and storybook which over the years I have lost but made up for it by recently purchasing the CD. Anyway, the HBG was featured somewhat predominantly in this book and was mentioned specifically in the story.

I view his return not as an enhancement to the HM storyline, but more as a nod to traditional Disney. I cannot wait long enough for his hopeful return.

• Minion

the HBG has become the thing of myths and ledgeds at this point. A really cool image and a destiny that never came to be! As much as I hate to say it I almost think Disney will never put him back into the ride as the expectations are so high there is little chance it will be deemed successful if it does get added because it will be so highly inspected for flaws! IMO

• Minion

I guess it's become somewhat legendary among Haunted Mansion fans. It was included when the mansion first opened in August 1969 but taken out after a couple weeks or something, because the effect didn't work right. I also had the record album and listened to it a few times before going into the mansion for the first time in October 1969. I never saw the Hatbox Ghost, but I never tried to look for it until later years. It is mentioned and the effect described in passing on the record, stating that the ghost's head disappeared and reappeared in the hat box. But I don't recall it as being prominent in the story at all. The basic premise of the story on the record is Mike and Karen taking refuge from the rain in an old dark house, and all the things they see when going through the house on an involuntary tour given by the ghost host. Mike and Karen aren't in the attraction though, so there is not that story element. The Hatbox Ghost might have been pictured in the pages included in the record, I can't remember. But it's one of the "lost features" that Haunted Mansion fans mourn for. It was supposed to be in the attic, but I never saw it. I remember the bride with the beating heart, and the pop-up shrieking ghouls. The attic was better back then. There is also discussion about the original hitchhiking ghosts, behind the mirrors. At the time I first went on it, they had not completed that and just used generic "wispy" ghosts. Later they replaced them with the smiling, laughing character ones. I remember thinking on a later trip, on first seeing the smiling ones, "Oh, that's so corny-Disney, why did they put those in?" The Haunted Mansion was cool because it was the opposite of everything that was so corny-happy-Disney. So to add laughing, smiling characters ruined it in my view. But I guess you were supposed to laugh at them and they laughed at you. We always pretended to strangle them.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I guess it's become somewhat legendary among Haunted Mansion fans. It was included when the mansion first opened in August 1969 but taken out after a couple weeks or something, because the effect didn't work right. I also had the record album and listened to it a few times before going into the mansion for the first time in October 1969. I never saw the Hatbox Ghost, but I never tried to look for it until later years. It is mentioned and the effect described in passing on the record, stating that the ghost's head disappeared and reappeared in the hat box. But I don't recall it as being prominent in the story at all. The basic premise of the story on the record is Mike and Karen taking refuge from the rain in an old dark house, and all the things they see when going through the house on an involuntary tour given by the ghost host. Mike and Karen aren't in the attraction though, so there is not that story element. The Hatbox Ghost might have been pictured in the pages included in the record, I can't remember. But it's one of the "lost features" that Haunted Mansion fans mourn for. It was supposed to be in the attic, but I never saw it. I remember the bride with the beating heart, and the pop-up shrieking ghouls. The attic was better back then. There is also discussion about the original hitchhiking ghosts, behind the mirrors. At the time I first went on it, they had not completed that and just used generic "wispy" ghosts. Later they replaced them with the smiling, laughing character ones. I remember thinking on a later trip, on first seeing the smiling ones, "Oh, that's so corny-Disney, why did they put those in?" The Haunted Mansion was cool because it was the opposite of everything that was so corny-happy-Disney. So to add laughing, smiling characters ruined it in my view. But I guess you were supposed to laugh at them and they laughed at you. We always pretended to strangle them.
    He was in the book (one pic).
    Also the attic was better prior to 2005 (agreeing with you)
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Herr Ducktor!

Why do people want the Hatbox Ghost back? Because it's possible.

So much of classic Disneyland is gone forever. We're not going to bring back Mine Train, or the Pirate Ship, or Adventures Through Inner Space. But it's not unthinkable that HBG might find his way back to the Mansion. He wasn't a dud, just an effect that needed tweaking. So we have this rare opportunity: something that uses modern technology, but in a way that fulfills the original vision.

I wasn't aware that he was missing, before I found MiceChat. But now that I'm briefed on him--yeah, I applaud the spirit (no pun intended) of advocating for his return. It isn't nostalgia (since almost no one remembers seeing him), it's a way to have something the creators wanted us to have.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Nostalgia must nest in the plesure center right next to where hard drugs tingle. lol

Its amazing how powerful the joy of the past, or the notion of something old and fantastic can be in working our imaginations on overdrive. This is why I think being an Imagineer would be fun. You get to tap an imagination into working with your sensory queues to create a unique and truely magical experiance for every guest in a way no movie (3D or not!), book or game ever could.

To this end, it is easy to see why the legendary attractions of Disneyland are so enamoring. Expecially to those who actually got to experiance them. Although it is not often explored, imagine how we younger members will feel when some of the rides we grew up loving are gone to Yesterland giving way to new attractions which only allude to what was there in the "good ol' days". Powerful stuff.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

More specifically however. I find that a loose story with no specifics to distract from the million things to look at very fitting for the mansion. It makes my mind want to connect the events in each room and look for more and more things every ride. Now that my friends, is magic.

Have you ever watched a movie 100 times just to see the details in the background without caring one bit about the story? If you have, you probobly a member of a forum about that movie too!

• Larger Than (After)Life

There is a petition AND Twitition circulating to restore yours ghoully to my rightful domain, in all the ghostly spendor that modern attraction technology can conjure. I urge you to sign.

The link for the petition is in my signature, below this message. Also, you can access it via the "Hatbox Ghost: Bring Him Back!" userbar.

The Twitition can be found at: TWITITION: Restore The Hatbox Ghost To Disney's Haunted Mansion Attraction

Thank you.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    So much of classic Disneyland is gone forever. We're not going to bring back Mine Train, or the Pirate Ship, or Adventures Through Inner Space...
    Man, don't wanna derail this thread, but TL is in such desperate need of forward-looking, "edutainment"-type attractions. Why couldn't they bring back a revised Adventure Through Inner Space? I'm not talking about trying to resurrect something from the 60s, I mean a new microscopic journey showing us the wonders and perils of nanotechnology. That would be awesome!! Fun ride, forward-looking, plus it would actually fit the Tomorrowland theme!!

Yeah, I know, where are the Pixar characters, you would ask?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast