Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Bernardino Mountains
    Posts
    1,278

    Talking What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    It took almost ten years for them to realize that making DCA in the cheapest way possible was a huge and costly mistake. Now that they have realized their mistakes and are fixing and improving DCA it makes me wonder what the park would be like had they built it right the first time. So lets use our imagination and picture a vastly improved DCA that opened nearly a decade ago. Imagine if World of Color was there from the beginning. What do you suppose the park would look like today had DCA been a success from day one? Would we be looking at the prospect of a third park by now? Would it be worth an entire days admission? Lets see what my fellow DLR fans think.

    I realize that certain upcoming attractions are based on pixar films that had not been released at the time (Cars for example) but lets just say for pretends sake that Cars was already out by 01 so a "Radiator Springs" area was completely feasible. So besides that little snag, lets hear your thoughts.

  2. #2

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    14,662

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Well, for starters it would have been called Westcot.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  3. #3

    •   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    My name is Peggy
    Posts
    2,020

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?


  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    As awesome as WestCOT would have been, I can see why it never came to be... $3 billion price tag, havig to buy out a lot of property and relocate thousands of people who live in the area, and could imagine the noise and light complaints. Just not feasable at that location.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    490

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Westcot!
    Matthew

  6. #6

    • ironically Otaku
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.
    Posts
    5,102

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    well, i dont think we would have a bugs land, paradise pier or cars land.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

  7. #7

    • With The Brain Of A Bird
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    148

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    It took almost ten years for them to realize that making DCA in the cheapest way possible was a huge and costly mistake. Now that they have realized their mistakes and are fixing and improving DCA it makes me wonder what the park would be like had they built it right the first time. So lets use our imagination and picture a vastly improved DCA that opened nearly a decade ago. Imagine if World of Color was there from the beginning. What do you suppose the park would look like today had DCA been a success from day one? Would we be looking at the prospect of a third park by now? Would it be worth an entire days admission? Lets see what my fellow DLR fans think.

    I realize that certain upcoming attractions are based on pixar films that had not been released at the time (Cars for example) but lets just say for pretends sake that Cars was already out by 01 so a "Radiator Springs" area was completely feasible. So besides that little snag, lets hear your thoughts.
    Hmmm. We must be careful not to disrupt the fabric of the space time continuum. (Or something like that.)
    I'm sure the park would be a lot greener. And I don't mean in a PC kind of recycling way. I mean with lots of grown in trees and plants. And not having todays DCA problems to deal with, perhaps WDI would've created a way to have a people mover system traveling between the two parks for those with park hopper passports. I would still question though whether the place would be worth a $70+ one day/one park admission price if there were still less attractions in the park than Disneyland.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    128

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Well, certainly not a California theme park in California…

    "I DIG A.D.D."

  9. #9

    • Disney Fan & Musician
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,764

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    As awesome as WestCOT would have been, I can see why it never came to be... $3 billion price tag, havig to buy out a lot of property and relocate thousands of people who live in the area, and could imagine the noise and light complaints. Just not feasable at that location.
    Although it's owned by a different company, TDS was $3billion and it got built in the same year. :/
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

  10. #10

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  11. #11

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    ...$3 billion price tag, havig to buy out a lot of property and relocate thousands of people who live in the area, and could imagine the noise and light complaints. Just not feasable at that location.
    Exactly what Michael said at the first budget meeting to discuss DCA.

    It was all downhill from there.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  12. #12

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,517

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    I think for the most part DCA would remain the same as it was when it opened. It would still get cruded on for general criticisms but I think Disney would be too satisfied with park attendance and profit to care. Perhaps there would be a few more attractions in some areas but that has yet to be determined.

    And I for one believe there should only be ONE EPCOT! And hopefully it will stay that way. Epcot is too unique and special a park to duplicate elsewhere.

  13. #13

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Although it's owned by a different company, TDS was $3billion and it got built in the same year. :/
    In a weird way, the company in Tokyo represented the real heart and heritage of Disney -- it was in effect the "real" Disney Company -- while the boys in Burbank were the "different company."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  14. #14

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Not at Disneyland :(
    Posts
    2,474

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?




    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

  15. #15

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What do you think DCA would be like today if it were done right the first time?

    ^
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] So did Halloween scream cancel for the first time today 10/28?
    By SoCalbma in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
  2. Please take some time today and Remember on this Day of Decoration
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
  3. Who just got off vmk? [ today - now July 21st - closing time ]
    By SpectroMagicFan in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
  4. 'Pirates' Premiere a swashbuckling good time - USA TODAY 6/25/06
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •