Sad Not really feeling the Halloween spirit from DLR

I've been going to DLR, and I've noticed that when I go, I haven't been really feeling the spirit from there...anyone else agree?

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Not really feeling the Halloween spirit from DLR

I would probably say I'm feeling it more this year than last.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    I've been going to DLR, and I've noticed that when I go, I haven't been really feeling the spirit from there...anyone else agree?
    1) How many times did you go last year? I sometimes find that if I overdo Christmas one year the following year I don't fall into the Christmas mood until it's almost Christmas Day...could that be what's happening here to you except that it's Halloween not Xmas?

2) Did you experience any Halloween spirit in September last year? I could be wrong here, but I think Disney started the Halloween festivities earlier this year than in years past....perhaps it's just hard to be in the spirit when the daytime high is still in the 90's?

3) Is there something that Disney is doing differently this year(or not doing at all) that has taken away from your enjoyment? I realize that the paries have been moved and the fireworks made exclusive, but those things should not factor in until the actual month of October....could it be something else?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• no flash photography...

It never had it. They only decorate main street and the ranch area. Oh, and the mansion, but that's up until Christmas. I always found it kind of dull.

• We Want The Redhead

I'm not sure what the Halloween Spirit is, but I was out there for a little while this morning and thought things looked very nice. I do think the weather is a bit warm to feel 'autumnal,' but once the old 'frost is on the pumpkin,' I expect everything will be fine. It's the Christmas in September thing out at the mansion that I still get confused by.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Minion

I would have felt more in the spirit if they had more villains out, and put decorations in more then just Main St and Frontierland, although I'm glad I got to see Jack and Sally for the first time this trip
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

No I haven't but I think I could understand. My husband feels like you sometimes. But no worries it is normal and something at Disney may perk you up and you might feel diffrent.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Doesn't help when 80% of guests have basically been denied access to the main event called Halloween Screams, a huge contribution to the Halloween feeling at DLR. As of now the only thing that really gets me into the feeling is Ghost Galaxy at night when the projectors are working. There is nothing else at the park that can fill the void of this fireworks show, they simply have not gone far enough with the decorations and characters to make up for that loss unlike Tokyo and Hong Kong.

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

according to Wikipedia, Knott's Halloween Haunt is responsible for producing half of the theme park's revenue!!!! And universal also makes a tidy sum off there overlays! Disney needs to get serious about Halloween, because even if the ride overlays are a fun change of pace, the park dos truly pale when compared to other parks when it comes to this.
    I say the best way for Disney to become a REAL competitor, in regards to Halloween overlays, could be done in 2 simple steps.
    1. Put some live entertainment out in the park. Add some magic shows on to the streets of all the different lands. You could have a illusionist (like harry houdini) on Main Street, a witch doctor in adventure land, a voodoo magician in new Orleans, a sorcerer in fantasy land, you get the idea! Also, how about this. Unannounced, surprise shows where actors would interact with special effects and the audience. Like here is an example. You’re walking in front of the haunted mansion, when you see some people in the mansions yard in robes who are chanting, then a gust of wind picks up, the gates of the mansion begin to violently slam upon and shut, and then finally a loud bang! A poof of smoke and the robe wearing actors are gone.
    2. Disney can’t do mazes, right, not scary enough, right? What if the force of the maze was deep storytelling, instead of cheap scares? As you progress deeper into the maze, you learn more about the story, and you want to go forward, to find out what happens to the characters? Yep, Disney mazes would be like the great short horror stories, using suspense compelling negative to draw people in.

Well thank you for reading my ideas/rant. If i don't make much sense, sorry about that.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

• wishing upon a star :)

I honestly haven't been feeling it either, but then again...it's still September haha. Hopefully once the weather cools down a bit, I'll start to feel it. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to be able to this year without the fireworks though

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    last year year is where i felt the halloween spirit. this one is okay i guess.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Maybe because it's a month too early

Eh, while I agree with your ideas and kind of like them, in my opinion Disneyland doesn't really need holiday overlays. The reason that Knott's and Universal experience such an uptick in revenue from their Halloween overlays is because their regular attractions and shows aren't good enough to give them year-round revenue... Disney doesn't have that problem . I'd much rather prefer a year-round great park than a park that's average for 10 months and stellar for 2.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I'm not sure what the Halloween Spirit is, but I was out there for a little while this morning and thought things looked very nice. I do think the weather is a bit warm to feel 'autumnal,' but once the old 'frost is on the pumpkin,' I expect everything will be fine. It's the Christmas in September thing out at the mansion that I still get confused by.
    I was there today too. It was decorated nicely, but when it's 100 degrees (literally) outside it's really hard to get into the spirit. Once the Santa Anas start blowing then I know it's October. So far we haven't had any so we will see.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

1. Yeah, starting in September is jumping the gun

2. The Mickey floral is normal, which is ok for anytime of the year, except Christmas and Halloween. Remember the pumpkin Mickey from a couple years ago:

4. And of course with DCA under reconstruction, the Candy Corn entry letters are missing:

5. And all of Candy Corn Acres is completely missing:

6. And no villain meet and great in DCA.

7. No Halloween Fireworks this year for good ol' regular DL Guests

8. Tower of Terror without the bat arch and special lighting fixtures, and without ghost stories

9. Main Street even lost a little streetmosphere, too

10. Golden Screams is also missing, although the show was not very good, Disney did not replace it with anything else in DCA.