Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• ohai

Re: Is John Lasseter a total sell-out?

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    No

Agreed!

I've actually grown to appreciate Lasseter over the past few months. Despite his Pixarfication to DCA. He really worked on getting 2D animation back in the forefront of Disney releases following the Princess & the Frog, and he [thankfully] got rid of straight to DVD sequels.

But I was looking forward to Aladdin 4: Jafar May Need New Glasses: YouTube - family guy - Aladdin IV (Jafar may need glasses)

If it was HIS idea to change Rapunzel to Tangled then his approval rating is back down in my book. I refuse to call that film by that name. I am a little worried about how he'll handle the expansions in Frontierland and Tomorrowland, I pray Woody and Buzz won't be apart of these new attractions or anything Pixar related. I'm not too thrilled about the Nemo Subs either.

Okay, the Nemo upgrade. When I first rode the subs, I was about eight years old. They had just opened, and I was enthralled. I was transported into the world of one of my favorite authors, Jules Verne. Sure it was hokey, but with a little imagination it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Years flow as they do, and the lagoon was left empty. For years. Then along came Nemo. A huge move on the imagineers part. Kudos to their dedication to the dreams of this crop of eight year olds. I love the upgrade, and can't help but wonder how many of it's critics are giving their eight year olds the chance to marvel. Does anyone still read Verne, or Wells, or Stevenson?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by blorgan View Post
    Does anyone still read Verne, or Wells, or Stevenson?
    I do, and have since I was a kid.

The problem with FNSV is that it's aimed squarely at the kiddie crowd. Something that Verne, Wells and Stevenson never did.

Neither did Walt Disney.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids."
    -- Walt Disney

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Blew By You

With so many super powered egos in the entertainment field, John's is quite up there and that's not bad necessarily. He's unabashed Disneyland. He is butting heads against intrenched Eisnerification (new word!). At least, this is my take to his actions. He should not be treated as some hero out to save Disneyland or Disney in general. But he gets my points for getting to put creative muses to work. The sellouts are those holdover Eisner workers.

• Forgotten Spirit

He needs to expand his vocabulary. I can't stand "fantastic", "fun", "fabulous" every 5 seconds

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    The sellouts are those holdover Eisner workers.
    That I can believe.
    A true sellout is one that compromises Walt's dream to benefit themselves.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• All-American

Love, Hate, and JohnLasseter - Blog - Imagineering Disney

I found this article really interesting a while back, and it sheds a lot of light on John Lasseter's role in the decision-making process in WDI.

From the sounds of this article, it seems like Lasseter is as big a fan of original attractions and historic rides as the rest of us - but ultimately, his finger is not the one on the green-light button, and he knows what's going to fly and what won't when it comes time for the pitch to Disney management. Namely, hit franchises - and Pixar movies are the biggest hits right now. We've seen that this can change when a non-Pixar movie does well (Pirates), and I'm betting we can expect it to change again if Tron is a megahit this Christmas.

In a nut shell, the current philosophies of Disney management prevent Lasseter from doing certain things hed love to do. When two ideas are presented- one that completely appeals to nerds like you and me (fixing Journey, Western River Expedition, etc.), and one based on something that recently made $800,000,000 at the box office- you can guess which will win.

So here we have it. John Lasseter loves good-quality Disney. He also likes Pixar stuff in the parks. He also has bosses who like to say no. He also is spread like too little butter over too much toast. He also has a wreck of an animation studio (Walt Disney Animation) to fix and a thriving animation studio (Pixar) to help maintain.
    For proof of my statement about only green-lighting franchise-based attractions, check out this rather disappointing quote from a Fortune interview with Bob Iger:

So if we determine that "Toy Story" is a real franchise for the company, then "Toy Story" should get made. Now, you still have to have a great story and great execution - and in the absence of that, you shouldn't make it. And not everything has to be a franchise. I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks. When you look at "Toy Story," we're making our third film, we're opening two Toy Story Mania attractions at parks this summer, we have a very strong consumer products line, we have a "Toy Story" musical opening on the cruise line, we have a game in development - that's a franchise.
    So there you have it. I think the Pixarification of the parks, while certainly ongoing, is not the decision of John Lasseter, but instead the people he works for.

Mr Wiggans, Who are you? Walt was all about the "kiddies". In all of us. What do you think he had in mind? Adult entertainment? Get a grip, my friend. Disneyland is all about the child in each of us, the wonder, the absolute trust in something wonderful just around the corner. The authors I cited wrote for those of us who could dream. When did you grow up to the point where you lost that ability to dream? What happened to the child in you?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Mr Wiggins has had about 4,000 more posts to get to know the Micechat community, he might ask the same question of you first.

DLFreak: I could live without the self righteousness, all that's bad about WDI is imagineers hired by Eisner, that's a new one.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I do, and have since I was a kid.

The problem with FNSV is that it's aimed squarely at the kiddie crowd.
    The thing you're not taking into consideration is that it's entirely normal for Star Wars or Nemo themed weddings in 2010, they're not just for children's parties anymore. Children refuse to grow up, they just get older, and their parents are paying for it so why take any of it seriously. It's just wedding vows, bro, throw me a beer.

^^^ I guess I need to shut up. Until I have posted enough to have an opinion.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    /\
    Mr Wiggins has had about 4,000 more posts to get to know the Micechat community, he might ask the same question of you first.

DLFreak: I could live without the self righteousness, all that's bad about WDI is imagineers hired by Eisner, that's a new one.
    Not sure where the "self righteous" comment is coming from.
    I agreed with someone
    And then made a general statement (not aimed at anyone)
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-26-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• =)

Blorgan, you're more than welcome to have an opinion, no matter whether you joined yesterday or back in 2005, when MiceChat was launched. That goes for you and everyone else. However, your post was sorta bordering on being a "personal attack", something that's not welcome on MiceChat. If you disagree with Mr Wiggins or someone else...that's great! Let them know, by all means, and tell them exactly why. Diversity of opinions is one of the many great things about a forum. Just don't start criticizing the poster him/herself. It's more fun and more convincing if you just lay out a friendly, logical argument against the position of your "opponent."

Okay, I've nuked the soapbox from beneath my feet. Regarding Mr. Lasseter, I've never met the man, nor do I know enough about what exactly he does at WDI to pass judgment on it. I have enormous respect for what he's done with the fine folks at Pixar, but I haven't seen much to suggest he's been as revolutionary a force in theme park design. Then again, I'm immensely looking forward to Cars Land, and Radiator Springs Racers in particular.

Datameister, thank you for your concern. I was out of line. I am ashamed that I let my feelings run away. Mr Wiggins, I was not hearing you, and owe you an apology. I guess I need to kick back, and listen more carefully. Forgive me for my rant. It was not directed at you personally. Just a knee jerk reaction. Emphasis on jerk.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast