Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Is John Lasseter a total sell-out?

After watching this video about him talking about Toy Story PlayLand, I just have this feeling that unnerves me.

YouTube - John Lasseter about Toy Story Playland at Disneyland Paris

I mean let's think about this for a second...

All three of the Pixar-movie Lands we are getting (or already have) in resorts worldwide are based on films that he himself directed (Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Cars).

For a man who has a deep passion for ensuring that Disney puts out quality films, I think he's kinda blinded to the theme park side of things. Because I find it really hard to believe that he contributed to the creation of those carnival-style story-less attractions in both TSPL and A Bug's Land. At least Cars Land wont be so cheap-(or tacky) looking are far as themes and attractions go but it does kinda bother me because each attraction in a Disney park is suppose to immerse you into a particular story.

The problem with these Pixar movie-theme lands is that the story is that of the whole land itself and is not narrowed into each of the particular attractions. Besides, I'm not all that interested in immersing myself in a single Pixar film. I prefer the Pixarifications of the parks be limited to one attraction per land but to create an entire land for one film kinda creates this cheap imitation feel.

This is probably nothing new but anyway those are my thoughts. John Lasseter seems to be almost going the way of George Lucas...a good and passionate storyteller who sometimes goes a little too overboard than needs to be...

...But I'll look on the bright side...at least Lasseter hasnt put out re-edited versions of Toy Story...yet...

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Is John Lasseter a total sell-out?

Unless it's a show like It's Tough to Be a Bug, I think they should keep John Lasseter out of the parks. Period. Leave the Imagineering up to the actual Imagineers, not someone who was handed the post as a result of his being a film director. Don't get me wrong... I like the guy. I like his storytelling and directing. I just think he needs to stick with what he does best and not try to leave his mark in the parks wherever he can.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

None of those rides are original. Its Knotts, Pixar style.
    I love the justification of not being original (after admitting they weren't).
    I had hope for John, then I rode Nemo.
    Points were won back with TSMM.
    Seeing playland, those points are lost again.

To answer the question: no, I don't think so. He just has pixar on the mind.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-26-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Parking Lot > DCA

No.

I wouldn't say he's a sell-out, I mean, I think he means well, from what I understand, but I guess the Pixarification of DCA could seem kind of self-serving for him, although Cars Land does look like it will be pretty well-done for what it will be. Oh well, at least we have the Little Mermaid ride in the works, based on a classic 2D Disney animated feature(and all the Fab 5 re-theming in Paradise Pier, muddled and controversial as that might be), to help counter all the Pixar stuff.

i have to say that i really do not have the hatred towads these little lands that some people have. They are built to add a little capacity to the parks and in my opinion they work. People are not giving WDI and lassitor the credit for the orignality of theming of these lands which include FFF and TSP. Yes the attrctions have been around for awhile but they work with the theming beautifully.

When FFF was built people had the same hatred towards the land but the fact was that the theming was amazingly perfect from the detail on the concrete to the audio that really surrounds the guests. i have to say that toy story playland has the same level of theming.

The problem with toy story playland i think is that the two major attractions tower over the land but in my opinion does not take away from the fact that the theming and njoyment people get riding them is there. I also beleive that as the landscaping grows it will become even more emersive and will be enjoyed by millions for many years.

As for Lassitor, i think his involvement in the overall effect of these additions is critical. He is making sure that the essence of the movies are carried out into real life. Whether he got involved or not the Walt Disney company would be building these attractions because like it or not they are the Disney movies of the new century and they are the money makers. There is a reason toy story made over a billion dollars this year and it would be ridiculous if Disney did not take advantage of their popularity.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Whether he got involved or not the Walt Disney company would be building these attractions because like it or not they are the Disney movies of the new century and they are the money makers.
    The issue isn't whether or not Disney builds Pixar rides.

The issue is how creative, innovative and Disney quality -- or not -- that they make them.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I had hope for John, then I rode Nemo.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

keep in mind he is not just a director he is one of the managing partners of pixar arguably one of the most successful comapanies of the last 2 decades!

^^^ Agree. Pixar has set the bar for modern animation. Like it or not, Disney will only benefit from his collaboration. As a disclaimer, I am one who is a fan of his work. I was drawn (no pun) back to animation because of his work. I have high hopes for Carsland, and eagerly await it's opening. If he is a "sell-out", it seems to me the only one he "selling" out to is his own creative vision. Good on him.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Is he a sell out? With having too many carnival style rides sometimes - YES! However, with themeing, he is on top of things.

For TS Playland in Paris, from the video, I'll give him a pass on the Slinky Dog/Caterpillar ride. But, then the land needs to be balanced with other attractions that are more substantial. The RC Racer Hot Wheel Track is rather pathetic. Lassester didn't think big enough with that, they needed a longer track that attraction, rather than simply going back and forth. The parachute drop is just not very substantial, either. A land needs bigger experiences. Of course the rumor is that Midway Mania is possible for the future, but that still wouldn't make the parachute, or the current RC Racer big enough attractions.

That is the same type of problem the Bug's Land Flik's Fun Fair in DCA suffers from - too many simplistic carnival rides, some which have been dumbed down so effectively, that it renders the rides useless. Yes, the themeing is great, but the rides are not big enough experiences.

Heimlich's Chew Chew is the star attraction in my opinion, BUT they did not think big enough. The ride has been equated with riding a lawn mower around the garden center at Target. Simply, it's too short and it need some slight change in elevation, going up and down. Casey Jr is more fun in DL, because of the change in elevation. And they could even develope it further by making it a partial dark ride.

Tuck and Rolls Bumperless cars - great themeing again, but rendered useless due to the insipid snail pace movement of the vehicles.

Francis ladybug Boogie - good update to the teacup style ride, with the interweaving of the vehicles. BUT with only 7 vehicles, the newest twist of this attraction (the interweaving vehicles) is practically useless with so few vehicles.

Flik's Flyer's - Again, TOO many carnival style short rides. Something more substantial is needed, and this ride just needs the axe.

Dot's Puddle Park - HATE the water play areas. Take your kids to the swimming pool if they want to get soaked. And there is no reason why there need to be TWO water play areas in the center of this land.

JUST a couple comments about Nemo Subs - John got involved in that makeover, well after things were underway - He insisted on adding additional features. And he was completely right in requesting more. Even now, it needs a LOT more to look at, especially with it being a longer experience, that it was previously. The other thing I have issues with is that it follows the movie too closely. It would have been nice if there were few surprises that were not in the movie. Again, I'm not so sure John had a lot of input in this attraction, since designing the attraction was not under his care, when it began construction.

Radiator Springs looks like it has some potential, and once again the themeing looks great from the models we've seen. Thankfully there is one substantial attraction being constructed in this land.

There is one other thing that does need to be addressed, and that is this idea of using one movie for the basis of an entire Land/District. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! The themes that Walt chose for the various lands were big enough to incorporate a wide variety of ideas, themes and even movies. Adventureland and Fantasyland in particular, and even Tomorrowland have served as a home for so many different characters for various movies over the years. BUT, by locking in a land to ONE specific movie, you just kill those kind of opportunities.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Nemo Subs.

I was excited for this to open and endured the long line.

It was still the same slow claustrophobic and boring ride it used to be, I thought the Nemo overlay was mediocre but everything I hated about the old ride is what I still don't enjoy about the new one.

Re: FFF / TSP

I am not into these 'honey I shrunk the audience' LANDS filled with Carnival amusements, but I have to say, I would rather have the Bugs Land we got than the Toy theme and thrills of the TSP, at least Bugs Land is fairly well themed and it's less tacky of the two. And you never have to go there because it's kind of out of the way.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

No
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Kae-Leah View Post
    I wouldn't say he's a sell-out, I mean, I think he means well, from what I understand, but I guess the Pixarification of DCA could seem kind of self-serving for him, although Cars Land does look like it will be pretty well-done for what it will be. Oh well, at least we have the Little Mermaid ride in the works, based on a classic 2D Disney animated feature(and all the Fab 5 re-theming in Paradise Pier, muddled and controversial as that might be), to help counter all the Pixar stuff.
    Just imagine how much more muddled all of that will be in DCA though once Duffy arrives. "Come to DCA, see Cars Land, The Little Mermaid, Mickey and the gang, The Muppets, and Duffy!" In that regard, it kind of feels like a Paramount park.

I'm all for Pixar rides and attractions, but they should be sprinkled. (The Seas with Nemo and TSMM are great examples)
    Last edited by isny; 09-26-2010 at 06:42 PM.

• Minion

well look at it like this, all the lesser attractions and lands were followed by more impressive ones. After Nemo came TSMM and after TSMM is Cars Land, and who knows, after Cars land Lasseter might get the approval to produce his first non-Pixar themed ride. You might look at his more rudimentary work as merely paying his dues.

• Herr Ducktor!

as I have posted before, I do have qualms about the long-term appeal of Carsland. But no, I don't think Lasseter is a "sell-out". I think he's taking a victory lap, celebrating his clout by making sure his personal projects get a big whomping footprint in the parks. But once that's done, I don't see him thinking he has a formula to repeat, ad infitnitum; that's not how Pixar got to be Pixar.

You know, making attractions out of movies is only half of his job. The next challenge is going to be making original attractions compelling enough to become film franchises themselves, a la POTC. It'll be fun to see how he rises to THAT challenge.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast