Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nerd

Indiana Jones Ride...Whats the problem?

I'm curious if anyone here knows why Indy is down so much. Yesterday it wasn't running for a good part of the day. Everytime we go it seems like its "down" and they don't know when it will be back running. They always getting it going eventually, but really...Why or what breaks down on that ride so much? Anyone???
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Indiana Jones Ride...Whats the problem?

From discussions I've read before, this ride has never been shut down for a major refurb since it opened. Sounds like it needs to go down for an extended amount of time to get it back to normal. They could throw in some more upgrades at the same time.

Actually, on Saturday I was there for the day and we went on Lilly Belle. The conductor in the car actually said the reason Indy is down so much is because the ride runs on a Windows computer and the vehicles themselves run on a Mac. So it's like two operating systems attempting to talk to each other and it doesn't always work. Kind of funny.
    "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

We visited the Park on September 9th, and while Indy was running when we rode it (3times), it was down on several previous visits. I posted a question earlier about the continued reduction of flames and we never came up with an answer. Any new thoughts?

Maybe they've never replaced the 486s (old computers) that control the whole show. You could probably control the whole thing from an iPhone now...

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I'm curious if anyone here knows why Indy is down so much. Yesterday it wasn't running for a good part of the day. Everytime we go it seems like its "down" and they don't know when it will be back running. They always getting it going eventually, but really...Why or what breaks down on that ride so much? Anyone???
    99.9999999% of the time they will never tell you when it will be re-opening unless they're cycling and about to open within the next five minutes. It's 'just in case' something else happens.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

•   

^^^ Uh huh. I dont work indy, but when I'm working an attraction and we have to go 101, honestly we dont know when it's going to be fixed. Maintenance comes and takes care of it. Sometimes they can tell us an estimate once they know what the problem is. But usually you just dont know until they think it's fixed and they test cycle. Like you said. Most downtimes at my rides are for maybe 20 mins, but you just dont know.

Indy is one of the most technically advanced attractions in the park. Think about all the moving pieces that go into the attraction experience:

- synchronized soundtrack that needs to adapt to slow/stopped vehicles
    - synchronized motion that needs to adapt based on location
    - rotating doors for the Chamber of Destiny
    - lighting effects in the Hall of Promise
    - special effects at the Tunnel of Torment, including an AA
    - skeleton and snake effects coming towards the cars
    - bug projection
    - collapsing bridge/smoke/fire/other Cavern special effects
    - dart room effects
    - rolling boulder room that moves around you and includes an AA suspended from the ceiling
    - AA at the end of the attraction

In most attractions, an AA breaking down or a special effect not working right is generally not cause for the attraction to go 101. At Indy, if just 2 or 3 of the effects aren't working quite right, it can ruin the entire show.

That, and this is an attraction where timing is critical. I had an experience on my last trip where my Jeep "stalled" 6 times in the attraction to allow for the Jeeps in front of us to clear out of the next zone. I felt like if the ride didn't shut down to reset the Jeep positions soon that people after us would spend more time "stalling" than moving!

I think it's a combination of all of those pieces that cause Indy to go down so often. Given that the attraction is so technologically advanced, I tend to give it a fair amount of leeway whenever I see that it's down. Though I do agree that the attraction should close down for a period of time to do a thorough refurb. It could really use the TLC.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Actually, on Saturday I was there for the day and we went on Lilly Belle. The conductor in the car actually said the reason Indy is down so much is because the ride runs on a Windows computer and the vehicles themselves run on a Mac. So it's like two operating systems attempting to talk to each other and it doesn't always work. Kind of funny.
    Ah windows that explains it prob has a virus. hahaha

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMenTellNoTalez View Post
    Ah windows that explains it prob has a virus. hahaha
    Exactly! They just need to throw in the Norton Anti-Virus on to the Windows 95 OS they are running on that ride and there shouldn't be any issue.

This ride needs a major refurbish ASAP.

Replace the computers with new ones, fix EVERYTHING.

I'm absolutely tired of Indiana Jones breaking down, I get that it's a very popular ride and it's in high demand, but giving a ride the refurb it deserves will make it better in the long run.

Think about it, could you imagine if NONE of the rides in the park got refurbished?

Sonoma County, Ca. but born in Whittier, Ca.

Seriously, we were there during the "Indiana Jones Summer of Adventure" promotion the same year as the last movie. We were there for five days during the height of the promotion and the attraction was down 3 out of the 5 days! If they had been thinking, they should have shuttered the attraction for several months prior to the promotion launch and refurbed and spiffed it up! They could have debuted the refreshed ride with the launch of the "Summer of Adventure".

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    From discussions I've read before, this ride has never been shut down for a major refurb since it opened. Sounds like it needs to go down for an extended amount of time to get it back to normal. They could throw in some more upgrades at the same time.
    The last major one occured 6 years ago to install the station gates and replace the snake with a new one (from what I know). This is the refurb list for DL from their Jan 26th, 2004 update:

Current Refurbishments and Attraction Closures

Disneyland

• Indiana Jones Adventure closed Jan. 26 to April 2
    • Pinocchio's Daring Journey closed Jan. 26 to Feb. 19
    • Mark Twain Riverboat rehab extended until February 6. (May be extended even further)
    • Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through closed indefinitely
    • Space Mountain closed through 2005
    • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closed through March 4.
    • Tomorrowland Railroad Station closed through February 22.
    • Autopia - Fastpass will be unavailable January 26 through February 22.
    So Indy was down for a good 3 months. And this was the recent major one so far minus the small 4 day refurbs it's been getting.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Indiana Scott

The failure we observed wasn't quite so hi-tech. The vehicles are powered and manuvered by hydraulics and they have a bunch of hyd. lines. One of these lines broke and left a trail of fluid a hundred plus feet long. Poor thing looked like it was bleeding to death.

• Minion

Maybe they should re-theme it to some other movie...(Like maybe a Disney film instead?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast