Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World of Color problems..

Hello everyone,

I am visiting the Disneyland Resort Oct 2nd-6th, and I am taking someone with me that has never been to Disneyland, and has never seen woc. I have seen the show once during opening weekend. Here is my question for those of you that have seen the show recently..

I heard there are problems with the projection domes not working, as well as the music not syncing correctly with the fountains? Just wanted to know if this is true? Also, how damaged is the show? Is it still just as enjoyable with all of the reported techincal problems? Thanks!

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: World of Color problems..

The projection domes have been removed and is sitting backstage.

The fire isn't 100%, sometimes it goes on and off.

I haven't seen a showing with the fountains and music off-sync but thats usully a minor problem.

They have been doing a lot of aggressive maintence work in the past few weeks.

It's still enjoyable and your buddy won't likley notice anything missing from the show (unless he watches the show on youtube that was recorded during the first few weeks)

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Fantasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    The projection domes have been removed and is sitting backstage.
    Are they planning on putting them back into the show?!

• ohai

Quote Originally Posted by cancolby View Post
    Are they planning on putting them back into the show?!
    Yeah, I believe they were having technical trouble (rising and lowering) with them. If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was never a huge fan of the domes anyway. I found them to be a bit somewhat out of place - it's a huge water show and then there were these random globes sticking up projecting stuff. It just didn't make sense to me. I think it's a better show without them.

• Banned User

I agree, the domes are not missed! It's a lot better without them! They were just a distraction. And as of lately, there have been no other problems. Fire has been a go for the last few weeks I've been working, and they've even fixed some glitched fountains(but there still are a few, but not very noticeable)

• =)

I liked them as planets in the WALL-E segment, and they're somewhat necessary for the aliens going "Ooooooh!", but other than that...I can definitely do without them. They looked out of place to me, too. I love the misty, shimmery, atmospheric quality of the water screen projections...but they tend to look less impressive when you're comparing them to the crystal-clear projections on the domes. Not having the domes in play helps me appreciate the rest of the show more.

• Banned User

^Yes and the way they used them in the "So Close" segment was just tacky! Why would you project crystal clear images on domes and then also have the mist screens projecting the exact same thing? That really made no sense to me! And like you said, it really does improve your view of the show. The projections look really magical without having to compare them to the domes.

• hi!

i felt the domes were too distracting and would rather they not come back, IMO. for the part where the aliens say "ooooh" (which i loved with the domes), i think they can get away with projecting the aliens on the side mist screens

as far as some other show effects not working, the last time i watched the show this past Wednesday, the Zurg projection wasn't working.. was it just the show that i saw? or is that 'down'/removed for the moment as well?

there was a thread a while back that was tracking WoC's progress, downtime, and maintenance errors.. i wish that was still around as it would be useful in this situation where i'm not sure if an effect was removed indefinitely or just down for a single show.. instead, that thread was bombarded by people accusing the OP of just making another negative thread to hate on WoC..
    -plagued

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    ^Yes and the way they used them in the "So Close" segment was just tacky! Why would you project crystal clear images on domes and then also have the mist screens projecting the exact same thing? That really made no sense to me! And like you said, it really does improve your view of the show. The projections look really magical without having to compare them to the domes.
    I Agree with everything said about the domes
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

I too am glad the domes are gone. They were too distracting. Be sure they see the other shows as well!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post
    i felt the domes were too distracting and would rather they not come back, IMO. for the part where the aliens say "ooooh" (which i loved with the domes), i think they can get away with projecting the aliens on the side mist screens

as far as some other show effects not working, the last time i watched the show this past Wednesday, the Zurg projection wasn't working.. was it just the show that i saw? or is that 'down'/removed for the moment as well?

there was a thread a while back that was tracking WoC's progress, downtime, and maintenance errors.. i wish that was still around as it would be useful in this situation where i'm not sure if an effect was removed indefinitely or just down for a single show.. instead, that thread was bombarded by people accusing the OP of just making another negative thread to hate on WoC..
    It was just your show. I haven't seen any show without it so it might have been an off day. Also someone on here mentioned that if there are planes flying northeast of DLR, they have to turn off the lasers(which btw is what Zurg is, he's not projection)

I love the domes as planets and the green aliens. Hearing the 'woooah' without them is still funny but a little randon. If they do bring them back I hope it's only for those two instances, otherwise I wouldn't want them used at all.

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    It was just your show. I haven't seen any show without it so it might have been an off day. Also someone on here mentioned that if there are planes flying northeast of DLR, they have to turn off the lasers(which btw is what Zurg is, he's not projection)
    ah, thank you. that makes a lot of sense. i dont know if there were any planes, but at the same time, i wasn't looking. glad to hear mr. zurgman is still in good order.. i like the effect of the lasers going through both layers of the mist screens!
    -plagued

• Zephyr Pilot

The problem with the domes was that when they are rising up, water is supposed to drain from them. But what was happening was that water wasn't draining fast enough, putting extra weight and stress on the supports and the whole WOC platform itself. If you saw them from the sides you could see that they were leaning a bit forward, and that was why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast