Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Time visitor to Disneyland 25Oct for 5days. Which Ride to First?

You guys are the experts, please tell me what my family 2 x adults and 2 x 8 year olds should do when we first hit Disneyland. We are staying at the Grand Californian for 4 nights from 25 Oct. First time visitors.

Which ride should we go on first? Any hot tips that I definitely need to know?

Id love to hear your feedback / Stories ...

Thanks!
    x

• Circle of Ancients

Re: First Time visitor to Disneyland 25Oct for 5days. Which Ride to First?

Well, with 5 days you are most certainly going to be able to do everything in the park, multiple times at a very nice and slow pace.

Option A (if you don't arrive at the park at opening):
    I'm going to suggest you start with the "Grand Circle Tour" on the Disneyland Railroad. Get on at Main Street, ride the train all the way around the park and back to Main Street. It will give you a good layout of the park, you will get to see a lot of the attractions you will get to ride during your trip, etc.

Option B (if you are getting to the park at open or using Extra Magic Hours):
    Head straight up Main Street and into Fantasyland. Ride Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Storybookland, etc. The kids will LOVE Fantasyland and that area of the park does get quite busy later in the day.

As first time visitors, you are going to want to do a LOT the first day, we made this mistake our first time at WDW. You just have to remember that you have a lot of time to see the parks. Also make sure you utilize Fastpass, especially for Space Mountain, Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion (at Disneyland). At DCA, make sure you get FP's for Soarin'.

Have a great first trip, we expect lots of pictures.

• ohai

I'd vote for It's a Small World, as it is a wonderful classic ride!

• Cars Land Rocks!

I would also add getting FastPasses for Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain as well since these rides, and the ones mentioned earlier, will be your longest lines. Not sure if Tower Terror FP is open, but that would be another one for DCA as well as World of Color. You have plenty of time to see everything so it doesn't matter too much what you do first.

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, with 5 days you are most certainly going to be able to do everything in the park, multiple times at a very nice and slow pace.

I'm going to suggest you start with the "Grand Circle Tour" on the Disneyland Railroad. Get on at Main Street, ride the train all the way around the park and back to Main Street. It will give you a good layout of the park, you will get to see a lot of the attractions you will get to ride during your trip, etc.

Head straight up Main Street and into Fantasyland. Ride Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Storybookland, etc. The kids will LOVE Fantasyland and that area of the park does get quite busy later in the day.

As first time visitors, you are going to want to do a LOT the first day, we made this mistake our first time at WDW. You just have to remember that you have a lot of time to see the parks. Also make sure you utilize Fastpass, especially for Space Mountain, Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion (at Disneyland). At DCA, make sure you get FP's for Soarin'.

Exactly this. Great suggestion.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Do try and see the fireworks olthe first night you can. October is Santa Ana wind season, and this is the time of year that the fireworks frequently get cancelled due to "winds at higher elevations".

• Resident Ghost

Upon entering the park, you're going to want to cry. The plethora of rides and attractions can scare some. Be strong. Sit down at a bench and catch your breath, but don't sit too long. People are flooding through the gates. You need to run!

Where do you run to? I would run to either Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Indiana Jones. The train is good too, but only for the dioramas.

• LaTruce

If you get to go to the parks for 5 days, all I can really say is just take your time. A lot of people (including myself) make the mistake of rushing through everything then end up missing "The Magic". You will be tempted to so everything the first day, but it would just be rushed. It's better to just take your time and see everything.. Or not, it's up to you... But I would take note of the show times.. You can't go at your own pace with the scheduled shows - but with the rest od the things like the rides, you can do it however you want.

Fastpass. Use fastpasses when you can on he big rides, but be careful with which rides you choose to use it with, you can only have one at a time. I'm not sure what the specifics are but you can get one per park at a time but after a while you canget another... I hope someone else who is more knowledgeable in this will help out with this.

If you are at the hotel for 5 days, but only have access to the park 2-3 time, or if those 5 days are not all dedicated to Disneyland, I'm sure you'll find MANY things around the area!

Have fun! Take your time, and just let everything sink in!

• I'm not really here

^ Ditto. Take your time. Don't rush around, you'll be dead by day 4. Take it easy. Relax. Enjoy moments sitting on a bench and people watching while you eat a snack. Take in the shows. Watch the flag ceremony. You will have plenty of time to ride everything in the parks and many things multiple times. See the fireworks, see Fantasmic! and World of Color.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Bring back the Keelboats!

If you come in on the Monorail, stop by Finding Nemo Submarines, then Autopia.

If you come in at the Main Entrance, I agree with the Grand Tour on the Train.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do try and see the fireworks olthe first night you can. October is Santa Ana wind season, and this is the time of year that the fireworks frequently get cancelled due to "winds at higher elevations".
    Believe me I know.I still haven't seen Remember because of it being canceled due to high winds twice.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Yes This!Also take your time because you have plenty of it.I cant tell you how many times I've heard someone say"Help It's my first time to DL and I only have one day.What do I do"?If you have never been there I would say make sure you arrive with your tickets already purchased about 40-30 mins before opening lined up.Then get on the DLRR train circling the park,followed by going to FantasyLand experiencing all their attractions.You also dont want to miss the Disney Gallery with Mr.Lincoln.With 5 days something I suggest is too maybe allocate about 3 full days of DL,and about 2 days of DCA.Of course give your family sometime for afternoon breaks either in DownTown Disney or back at the Hotel for a nap or swim.Believe me when I say you will appreciate being reenergizeed for the parks.Try to avoid park hopping too frequently and or milling from one side of the park to the other often.What I mean is lets assume one morning you go to DL and at opening you ride Indy,Jungle Cruise,POTC,HM,SM,Pooh,and BTMR within the first two hours.Thats very good.Another day you could get Fast Pass for Space Mountain,ride Nemo,ride SM,ride Buzz,Ride Autopia,see Jedi Training,Innoventions in the first couple hours then proceed to the Matterhorn.Or in DCA one day you could tour HPB and ride TOT first.Go to the right into Condor Flats and ride Soarin first.
    Or get a WOC FP at Grizzly River Run and proceed directly to Toy Story.This is especially important when you have 2 days but 5 no problem you will be fine.Most importantly though is this:It's your trip.Enjoy at your own pace and stop and smell the roses.Have Fun!

Indy, then Pirates, then Haunted Mansion, then train to Tomorrowland to get a Space Mountain Fastpass, then whatever you want!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Lots of good choices here but let me offer the best one to ride last:

The FAA approved noise abatement procedure out of John Wayne.....best thrill ride in Orange County
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by StarryNight View Post
    You guys are the experts, please tell me what my family 2 x adults and 2 x 8 year olds should do when we first hit Disneyland. We are staying at the Grand Californian for 4 nights from 25 Oct. First time visitors.

Which ride should we go on first? Any hot tips that I definitely need to know?

Id love to hear your feedback / Stories ...

Thanks!
    x
    According to another thread
    Disneyland closes at 6PM on Oct 25
    so pick your rides wisely.

Don't plan on Small World either.
    It's closed.

DL: 8-6
    DCA: 10-8

Ride Closures:
    it's a Small World
    Star Tours (2011)
    Roger Rabbit
    It's Tough to be a Bug
    Mulholland Maddess conversion to Goofy's Sky School

Daily Calendar | Disneyland Resort

P.S.: I know Disney is trying to be high tech
    but the new calendar sucks.
    It works when it wants to.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast