• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Did 1995-1998 kind of kill Space Mountain for you?

For those who fondly remember the original Space Mountain, it lasted quite a while until the mid-1990's. In 1995, FedEx gained sponsorship of the attraction and a small robot was added who would scan FedEx packages, a window was put in the queue to be able to view inside the mountain. Also, television monitors were installed with MTV type programming and would air wierd vignettes with aliens and Charles Fleichser playing a "Crazy Larry" type salesman. In 1996, a soundtrack was added therefore changing the entire experience with a surfur-esque Dick Dale space theme. In 1997, the futuristic speedramp caught fire and was inoperable and taken out after that. Lastly in 1998, in honor of the new tomorrowland, the classic white exteior was changed to a dull goldish bronze color along with the retro marquee to the attraction changing to a more zanier colorful one. So my question to you die hard old school Space Mountain fans is did these changes kind of kill the ride at all for you?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Shubisha

Re: Did 1995-1998 kind of kill Space Mountain for you?

no it made the ride that much more memorable for me to the point that if the audio wasn't working the ride seemed tamer and dull

Space Mtn without music is terrible... I went on the one in Florida for the first time this summer and thought it is a significantly weaker experience without music. Kind of like the Matterhorn in the dark.

Music = makes the ride so much better.

I actually love how Space Mountain is now. It has a much edgier feel to it than it did before. But I do miss the original. Seeing the cars zip by you in the queue, and no music. It was classic, but this version is still quite awesome and exhilarating.

• Disneyland Historian

I'm pretty sure the queue always had windows into the ride area. In fact, prior to the addition of the TVs, they didn't even have glass and were just open. the glass was added to prevent the TV light from entering the ride portion. Also, what's this about a speedramp fire? I don't think it was removed for any fire; I thought that was due to the addition of Cosmic Waves and a HISTA queue.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    Also, television monitors were installed with MTV type programming and would air wierd vignettes with aliens and Charles Fleichser playing a "Crazy Larry" type salesman. In 1996, a soundtrack was added therefore changing the entire experience with a surfur-esque Dick Dale space theme. In 1997, the futuristic speedramp caught fire and was inoperable and taken out after that. Lastly in 1998, in honor of the new tomorrowland, the classic white exteior was changed to a dull goldish bronze color along with the retro marquee to the attraction changing to a more zanier colorful one. So my question to you die hard old school Space Mountain fans is did these changes kind of kill the ride at all for you?
    Let's see...
    Edutainment Adventure thru Inner Space replaced with funny droids in a runaway spaceship...
    Edutainment Voyage thru Liquid Space replaced with an underwater kiddie cartoon video sequel about talking fish...
    Edutainment Mission to Mars replaced with a fast food place...
    Grand-circle-tour-of-Tomorrowland PeopleMover replaced with hip-fast-thrilling Rocket Rods...
    Edutainment Circlevision 360 projection theater replaced with a kid's ride-thru video game...
    Silent-trip-through-the-cosmos Space Mountain hyped with retro surf guitar...
    Yup, that about covers it.

All they need now is one of those Autopia height signs at the Tomorrowland entrance, saying "if you're taller than this sign, don't bother coming in -- you're not in our target demographic."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Let's see...
    Edutainment Adventure thru Inner Space replaced with funny droids in a runaway spaceship...
    Edutainment Voyage thru Liquid Space replaced with an underwater kiddie cartoon video sequel about talking fish...
    Edutainment Mission to Mars replaced with a fast food place...
    Grand-circle-tour-of-Tomorrowland PeopleMover replaced with hip-fast-thrilling Rocket Rods...
    Edutainment Circlevision 360 projection theater replaced with a kid's ride-thru video game...
    Silent-trip-through-the-cosmos Space Mountain hyped with retro surf guitar...
    Yup, that about covers it.

All they need now is one of those Autopia height signs at the Tomorrowland entrance, saying "if you're taller than this sign, don't bother coming in -- you're not in our target demographic."
    In the interest of keeping you honest, Wiggs, I do want to point out that I wouldn't consider Star Tours, fast food, thrill rides, and retro music to be indicative of a very young target demographic. Star Tours certainly has (had! ) elements of kiddie humor in it, but it was no more targeted exclusively at children than was the original Star Wars trilogy. Fast food, sadly enough, is something that people of all ages appreciate, and thrill rides cater the most heavily to the teenage and young adult audiences - they tend to exclude both extremes as far as age goes. As for the retro surf guitar in Space Mountain...if anything, I would think that this would appeal more to adults (who might actually know who Dick Dale was) than to your average five-year-old. That's a personal taste thing, not a maturity thing. Space Mountain is going to be a loud, kinetic, non-educational experience whether there's music or not.

I'm not suggesting that Disney hasn't shifted its attention to a much younger demographic in many of its recent endeavors, but I do disagree with some of the examples you've chosen.
    Last edited by Datameister; 09-29-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: clarity

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the queue always had windows into the ride area. In fact, prior to the addition of the TVs, they didn't even have glass and were just open. the glass was added to prevent the TV light from entering the ride portion. Also, what's this about a speedramp fire? I don't think it was removed for any fire; I thought that was due to the addition of Cosmic Waves and a HISTA queue.
    Correct. You were always able to look into the ride area, although I think it always had glass, but I am also thinking that there may have been just some netting instead. I can't remember. But you were always able to look into the ride.

And this is the first I've heard about a speedramp fire...

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Nope.
    Always been a great ride.

Ps: MC needs to limit number of threads from one person (in a certain time period).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz