Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Are Disneyland execs trending toward the wealthier guests?

This year, Disney is bringing its night trick-or-treat events to Disneyland after staging the parties in Disney California Adventure for about five years. Disneyland hasn’t had Halloween parties since at least the mid 1990s.
    Now called Mickey’s Halloween Party, 10 events are scheduled for Tuesdays and Fridays in October, as well as Halloween on Oct. 31.

But the night parties require separate park tickets, which range from $49 to $59. As of late Wednesday, tickets were still available for all nights, although the events have sold out in the past, said Betsy Sanchez, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. Find out how to buy tickets on Disneyland’s website.

Advance tickets are cheaper than buying them on the day of the event. However, prices have more than doubled since the parties began at Disney California Adventure. See a previous story about Disney Halloween prices.

The Disneyland events will include these features:

* The Halloween Screams fireworks will only be displayed for patrons of the Halloween parties. Last year — the first year of the seasonal fireworks — all general Disneyland visitors could watch the show. Read more about the Halloween Screams fireworks change. While people can see the fireworks outside the park, they will be unable to hear the narration, see special effects and listen to the music.
    Disneyland Halloween night parties begin | disneyland, halloween, night - News - The Orange County Register

Uhm, mean times are still pretty tough for most folks, and while I realize the revival of the parties from the nineties, like it says in the opening. But at DOUBLE the price?!!

What are your thoughts?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• The Original LOST BOY

Re: Is Disneyland execs trending toward the wealthier guests?

:shrug:

let's not forget that Disney is a business first.
    The Original LOST BOY

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Is this discussion specifically about the Halloween party? Because there is a very similar discussion going on in this thread:

Confused about Halloween ticketed event

Or is it about Disney catering to the wealthy in general?

If so, then let me say that it is already happening. Disneyland caters to the rich. If you have enough money, you can get whatever you want. I know some very wealthy people...and trust me, they aren't treated like the rest of us.

The planet we live on has limited resources.

Disney Theme Park Experiences are a limited resource.

When supply is low and demand is high, prices can increase.

There's not much to discuss here unless you want to talk about opening a communist style Disneyland park where every citizen is granted a 1 day ticket each year.

• 387 Miles from Disneyland

I don't think so. They offer payment plans now for so little a month on annual passports. Befrore you had to be able to buy it all at once. As long as people will bear the price the special ticketed events will keep getting more expensive.
    Last edited by Sparkle&shine; 09-30-2010 at 09:42 AM.

• will-o-the-whip

Disney has no choice but to be keep increasing prices in order to keep the crowds manageable. It's either that or a lottery/apportionment system for allocating tickets to random guests. Jacking up the price is the fairest way in my opinion, and I hope they do continue going higher particularly for APs.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Uhm, mean times are still pretty tough for most folks, and while I realize the revival of the parties from the nineties, like it says in the opening. But at DOUBLE the price?!!

What are your thoughts?
    Those folks for whom times are tough need to decide what is important on what to spend their money.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Those folks for whom times are tough need to decide what is important on what to spend their money.
    I agree with this whole heartedly, as someone else put it (not in these exact words), maybe you. Disney isn't a necessity merely a treat, and should be treated as such.

• gadgets & gizmos aplenty

Double the price from when the Halloween party was first held at DL, or double the price compared to the DCA party of years past? Because this year's party is less than the Magic Kingdom party over at WDW. And, the ticket price is comparable to the day-of-event prices at Knott's and Universal. I've yet to read a negative comment about the price for those events.

Making ticket prices reasonably low would be great; Disney parks are already pricey enough. But as many have already pointed out, Disney is a business - there's alot of competition, especially now for Halloween dollars.

• FastPass n00b

Let's face it, rich people are just plain better than the rest of us. It's time that we all started to acknowledge this... then tax them to the hilt so we won't be hit as hard come tax time. I like taxing the rich, it makes me feel good inside.

• Parmageddon Jim

Yes. Yes they is. So is and/or am I.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Embrace the kitsch!

They're not trending toward wealthier guests as much as they are balancing out years of catering to the discount crowd. It remains to be seen whether this is too little, too late as some tourists (a few on this board, as well as my boss and her family) have gone on record as saying they're done w/ DL.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    They're not trending toward wealthier guests as much as they are balancing out years of catering to the discount crowd. It remains to be seen whether this is too little, too late as some tourists (a few on this board, as well as my boss and her family) have gone on record as saying they're done w/ DL.
    ^This...EXACTLY!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I was kinda scratching my head over how the Halloween Party and targeting wealthier guests were even related. I mean if that was really the case the prices of those SoCal Annual Passholder prices wouldnt be so low now would they?

I can relate to the prior post. As someone who comes from far away to vacation in SoCal, and pays a great deal for the experience I am getting pretty tired of the overcrowded feel at Disneyland. Even on slower days it seems to get packed in the evening (AP holders). Evenings used to be an enjoyable time, but now I find it so difficult just getting from point A to B at night there with wall-to-wall people.

I know that AP holders don't want to see it go away and I certainly won't be making any friends on this site (which I'm assuming is mostly APers), but I really believe the APs are far too cheap. If more people were coming to Disney paying a reasonable entrance fee (without the AP program, the general admission could be much cheaper and still be profitable for the company) the experience would be so much more enjoyable for us out of towners (big spenders). I really don't think Disneyland was ever meant to be somewhere that people came to hang out 3 times a week, etc. This program seems to be out of hand (IMO). Now everyone feels "entitled" to go as often as they want, for a very low fee. This is not how the park used to be when I first came (early 80s). The admission was very reasonable then (and I first came in 1982 when they had just gotten rid of the ticket books, so I never experienced those).

I liked someone's idea about instead of APs, they could sell discounted days admission. Say for $300 (I just pulled that figure out of the air) you get in on any 12 days during the year.

I would love to see more of a return to how it used to be run. People - you really don't need to go there daily/weekly/??? It used to be a treat, and I think it should be treated like one.

As for the extra ticketed events - Disney will charge what the market will bear. I have no problem with that, and I don't have to go.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast