Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The Forgotten Train Station.

For anyone who has ridden the DLRR, we all know the amazing detail that went into Main Street's Train Station. Likewise, Toontown Depot is very well done, as is the Frontierland/New Orleans Square Station. Then, we turn our attention to Tomorrowland. Like many other corners of this neglected land, the Tomorrowland Train Station has been tucked in its little corner and forgotten about.

Without even a structure to pretend a story exists here, the loving touches like the morris code of NOS or the packed bags of Mickey and Minnie of Toontown, this station has nothing to look at while you wait for the next historic steamer to roll in.

This got me thinking two things. Why, and whats next? Is the utilitarian future so sterile that this is what will be found? Was it so hard to work a steam train into the future that they placed the station on the back burner untill anything more than a steel bus shelter could be planned?

I am at a loss as far as trying to tie it into the land. My simpler ideas like giving the train a cameo it a "history of transportation" ride similar to how Spaceship Earth explores communication could be used to tie it in, but still leaves something to be desired as far as an actual station.

If a more steam punk Tomorrowland ever debuted at Disneyland some time in the future, the tie would be a little easier, but what would happen if it went the other way as some sort of Space Colony?

Make the queue a time machine and risk the corniness of Dinoland at AK? A museum or back story justifying the use of an old technology in a new age? The DLRR is a legacy to be cared for forever, and I am at a loss. What would you do?

• wishing upon a star :)

Re: The Forgotten Train Station.

While I don't have any ideas for the station, you do bring up a valid point. Tomorrowland Station is incredibly bland compared to the other three. I would really like to see something happen there.

• All-American

I once proposed the idea that if a larger Tomorrowland refurb ever occurred, the Tomorrowland station would be the only structure that would be allowed to be "historical", as if it were there before the rest of the land was built. It would still be built in a futuristic style, but perhaps more in a dated Buck Rogers/1950s look than the rest of the land. There could be travel posters arranged featuring other Tomorrowland travel options (the monorail, the subs, a revived PeopleMover, perhaps a nod to the Skyway) all done in a deliberately dated style. The train would then be a sort of thematic tie between Tomorrowland and the more historic parts of the rest of Disneyland. I also proposed restoring the legendary Mary Blair murals (the one that is still intact, anyway) and relocating it here as a display of Tomorrowland history and to give guests something to look at.

Just some ideas...

• A Weather Eye Open

It's a really good point. It's not really visible from most of tomorrowland. The best thought I have is a more extensive outer structure that is in theme with the white, blue, and silver of the rest of the land (paint on Autopia notwithstanding -.-), and that shields the old-fashioned train from view a little while it's parked.
    Tomorrowland has the beautiful Monorail as a visually integrated transportation, (with any luck, we'll also have the PM back...) so it's not really a loss not to see the train from this land.

For those getting off the train into Tomorrowland... well... gee, I don't know. Something very bland and austere that blocks their view, until they turn a corner and see a scene of streamlined, kinetic modernism unfolding before them? I wish.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Closed Account

An excellent point, Trevor.

The station in Tomorrowland is very much like the old Fantasyland station--a simple, covered platform--nothing more. I'm not sure what the rational was behind such a simple "station."

Interestingly, the station is basically identical to the old "Viewliner" station, which seemed more apt to its surroundings. Perhaps a simple cost-cutting measure to create two identical stations?

As for your "time machine" idea, when Tomorrowland was revamped, a kinetic sign was placed near the station featuring a couple of old attraction posters--one showing the Mark Twain, the other showing the old SF&D "Primeval World" poster. These posters were accompanied by text suggesting that, in fact, the train was a "time machine," and would transport riders to the past. I suspect that sign either no longer fiunctions, or has been removed.

Among train fans, the station once had a feature that beat out all the other stations on the line: It had an observation platform right next to where the engine stops. It was possible then to get so close to the locomotive that you could actually feel the heat radiating from the boiler. Sadly, those days are long gone. While at one time Walt allowed guests to get "up close and pesonal" with his steam trains, now they are put as far away from guests as possible--relegated to the background.

Anyway, I don't think the structure should be changed. It's historic in its own right--a great example of "Googie" architecture. And as the third-oldest on the railroad, I supose it deserves a little respect. Now, if they could just rebuild that observation area!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As always, great info Steve. But that station still leaves some for me to be desired! Thanks for the input. Here's hoping that platform will be back, and maybe even a story to explain the station. (How did I know you'd know so much :P )

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

Without even a structure to pretend a story exists here, the loving touches like the morris code of NOS or the packed bags of Mickey and Minnie of Toontown, this station has nothing to look at while you wait for the next historic steamer to roll in.

No offense, but that would be Morse Code.
    Beginning in 1836, the American artist Samuel F. B. Morse... developed an electrical telegraph system.

Just thought you'd be interested.

If a more steam punk Tomorrowland ever debuted at Disneyland some time in the future...
    Ugh. No.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Not a big steampunk fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post

No offense, but that would be Morse Code.
    Beginning in 1836, the American artist Samuel F. B. Morse... developed an electrical telegraph system.

Just thought you'd be interested.
    Ironically, saying no offense added offense. It (through the complexities of modern grammar) changes the point of the post from a simple correction to a profession of knowledge.

In any case, no offense taken.
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post

As for your "time machine" idea, when Tomorrowland was revamped, a kinetic sign was placed near the station featuring a couple of old attraction posters--one showing the Mark Twain, the other showing the old SF&D "Primeval World" poster. These posters were accompanied by text suggesting that, in fact, the train was a "time machine," and would transport riders to the past. I suspect that sign either no longer fiunctions, or has been removed.
    Still there and working hard, Steve!

I think the station is fine. It doesn't draw attention to itself, which in a land where a steam train is not thematically appropriate, is good.

Not everything has to have a backstory. The only thing I wish they'd do to the station is make the entrance slight more obvious and add way more benches
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    [...]
    Not everything has to have a backstory.

[...]
    I disagree.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Since the ToonTown station is a toon version of the New Orleans station, it would be fun if a Tomorrowland version could be built which is also based upon the New Orleans station but with a major future twist. Like seeing the station in the present, future, and animation.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I think the station is fine. It doesn't draw attention to itself, which in a land where a steam train is not thematically appropriate, is good.
    I am inclined to agree with Eric on this one.

Although, Dusty does present an interesting idea:

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Since the ToonTown station is a toon version of the New Orleans station, it would be fun if a Tomorrowland version could be built which is also based upon the New Orleans station but with a major future twist. Like seeing the station in the present, future, and animation.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Johnny and Me!

Not a big steaming fan either.

Ironically, saying no offense added offense. It (through the complexities of modern grammar) changes the point of the post from a simple correction to a profession of knowledge.

In any case, no offense taken.
    That was unnecessary. You know what was meant.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Great idea!

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast