Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• M's mommy

Re: Who is going to Mickey's Halloween Party tonight 10/01?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    That's just gotta feel really awkward for both park patrons and cast members. I don't know. To me, it seems pretty low class. Disney should have never created a situation like this, in the first place especially not at Disneyland.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't care all that much for or about California Adventure. To me, if Disneyland is a 10, DCA is a 3 or 4. After seeing some illustrations for WestCOT recently, I'd rather have that not that it has anything to do with this thread. But I guess that's why I've never given much thought to the Halloween party taking place there, until now. And I don't think that Disney should've closed all of DCA (or Disneyland) for the Halloween party, not with general admission and an event overlapping like that.

Lately, Disney doesn't seem to give much thought at all to people's feelings, only their wallets. I don't even like the sound of the term, "sweeping people." People are not dirt to be brushed away. For a company that likes to throw around the word "guest" to describe a paying customer, "sweeping" sure isn't very hospitable. It's sort of like being shown the door with a kick in the pants, after having done nothing to deserve it.

I know, I know. Complain, complain, complain....
    Quote Originally Posted by E.P. Ripley View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure how this is awkward for the park guests and cast members. Disney hosts quite a number of private parties that utilize the wristband system. The cast members slowly sweep the park of anyone not wearing wristbands. This has happened to me several times at Disneyland when I have been there on the night of a private party. It really is not that big of a deal.
    I feel they handled it well, like previous people said they checked for wristbands, and when they welcomed guests for Mickey's Halloween Party they thanked regular guests and also invited them to purchase tickets for the party. To me it felt like they were inviting and considerate for those guests who might not know of special events, and offered the opportunity to attend.

Rides were quick, and the candy stations were "expanded" so when you went to a station you actually went through 4-5 at one time. Made it easier to get enough candies and not have to run around.

One sad thing was that they still didn't have the ghost mickey popcorn bucket. The cm I talked to said middle of the month.......maybe.

The park overall felt pretty vacant, the hot spots were candy stations, meet and greets, and the dance sections with characters......my favorite was in tomorrow land with Buzz.

• We Want The Redhead

Thanks for the first hand updates fellow MCers. I'm looking forward to a couple of full blown trip reports.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

We had a great time last night. We had 11 kids (4 months to 10 yrs old) with us and 10 adults, and were there mainly for the trick or treating and some characters (it's the only time all the cousins could get together in their costumes and for grandparents to see them all, as 12 drove up from san diego).

Candy quality was great, kids had a blast seeing characters they dressed up as, and the parade was probably the best since the 50th's. There was no street dancing, but it was a true parade. Family was not so hyped to see the firework show, as the kids didn't want to stop trick or treating, but we were able to find a great spot to see them and no one was disappointed.

We did break the group up twice to so older kids could do space mountain, matterhorn and indiana jones, but it worked out ok. We only hit 5 of the 8 trick or treat areas, but we have more than enough candy. We did notice that they turned the cafe orleans (the one across from the HM) into Skellington's Club, and they moved all the tables out and had a dj, so it was a dance area. Very good idea, and quite a lot of people in there dancing around 11pm. I didn't see any areas for people to dance with characters, like in CA in previous years. However, there were characters galore throughout the park for picture opportunities. Lucky for them, the weather was great.

Was it worth it? I wish the ticket admission price was still comparable to last year's 33, but we did get fireworks and a parade. It didn't sell out this year, but I don't think Disney is hurting.

• With The Brain Of A Bird

Thank you for the inside info guys. I'm glad it went over well for everyone there. My family and I will be there on the 12th and plan on taking advantage of the 3 hour early entry into the park before the party. My understanding is that party guests are allowed to wear their costumes during those hours but I'm not sure if I want to wear my costume or carry it in a bag and then dive into a men's room 20 minutes before the party and put it on. Were a lot of people dressed in their costumes during the early entry hours? Thanks
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

People are not dirt to be brushed away. ....

Actually, people who don't leave when asked to could be called worse things

Quote Originally Posted by E.P. Ripley View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure how this is awkward for the park guests and cast members. Disney hosts quite a number of private parties that utilize the wristband system. The cast members slowly sweep the park of anyone not wearing wristbands. This has happened to me several times at Disneyland when I have been there on the night of a private party. It really is not that big of a deal.
    Well said!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Went to Disneyland last night to walk around before going somewhere else (like a true APer).

Didn't know Disneyland closed at 7 for the party, but no real big loss. We decided we would go walk through DCA to see the construction and such.

This is when I knew that Disney management was flat out WRONG to do things the way they have. We were only there for an hour, but, the crowds in DCA were insane... for no other reason than MOST of DCA is closed either due to construction or due to the WoC show. So, many people filed out of Disneyland and winded up in DCA, but DCA only had a few major rides going (Tower, Soarin, Rapids, and I guess you'd have to call MM a big ride at this point). And that's it. For a weekend crowd, this made the place packed.

Add to that all of the construction walls, and I'd feel bad for any CM near FFF that night. It was a disaster.

Dear Disney: This is NOT the year to begin experimenting with shutting down Disneyland at 7pm on a weekend. Do this on weekdays when less people go to the park as it is (this would increase attendance on those weaker days).

If I was a traveling guest from out of town, I would be reading Disney the riot act for essentially shutting down BOTH parks by 8pm on a weekend.

I know you purist and defenders will say, "You could've looked at a calendar" and "I'd do everything perfect if I was traveling there." But, still, this night was pretty insane, and it really showed how Disney has lost a step lately.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Sp0tted View Post
    Went to Disneyland last night to walk around before going somewhere else (like a true APer).

Didn't know Disneyland closed at 7 for the party, but no real big loss. We decided we would go walk through DCA to see the construction and such.

This is when I knew that Disney management was flat out WRONG to do things the way they have. We were only there for an hour, but, the crowds in DCA were insane... for no other reason than MOST of DCA is closed either due to construction or due to the WoC show. So, many people filed out of Disneyland and winded up in DCA, but DCA only had a few major rides going (Tower, Soarin, Rapids, and I guess you'd have to call MM a big ride at this point). And that's it. For a weekend crowd, this made the place packed.

Add to that all of the construction walls, and I'd feel bad for any CM near FFF that night. It was a disaster.

Dear Disney: This is NOT the year to begin experimenting with shutting down Disneyland at 7pm on a weekend. Do this on weekdays when less people go to the park as it is (this would increase attendance on those weaker days).

If I was a traveling guest from out of town, I would be reading Disney the riot act for essentially shutting down BOTH parks by 8pm on a weekend.

I know you purist and defenders will say, "You could've looked at a calendar" and "I'd do everything perfect if I was traveling there." But, still, this night was pretty insane, and it really showed how Disney has lost a step lately.
    Nice to hear the other side (non party)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by littlepixie View Post
    they thanked regular guests and also invited them to purchase tickets for the party. To me it felt like they were inviting and considerate for those guests who might not know of special events, and offered the opportunity to attend.
    Glad to hear they thanked people (then again, they are kicking you out)
    The " invite" to purchase tickets was just a last ditch effort to make it a sold out party, but if it came off as a good will gesture, that was smart on their part.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Cool Re: Who is going to Mickey's Halloween Party tonight 10/01?

Quote Originally Posted by piglet770 View Post
    Candy quality was great, kids had a blast seeing characters they dressed up as, and the parade was probably the best since the 50th's.

We did notice that they turned the cafe orleans (the one across from the HM) into Skellington's Club, and they moved all the tables out and had a dj, so it was a dance area.

Was it worth it? I wish the ticket admission price was still comparable to last year's 33, but we did get fireworks and a parade. It didn't sell out this year, but I don't think Disney is hurting.
    Good to hear. Thanks for the report
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

They had an annoucemant around 6:30 saying they were closing for the party at 7, tickets were still available. They had a lot of longer lines the last hour the park was open to everyone, I'm assuming to encourage people to leave and to have staff to prepare for the party. as we left the park, they had most of the area in front of the castle completely blocked off and cleared, guessing they didn't want anyone trying to camp out there. Had a good amount of CM's checking for wristbands. DCA was crowded, much more so than usual, plenty of CM's around. Still had fastpasses for the 11:15 showing of World of Color past 8pm. And watching Halloween Screams from the entry plaza wasn't any more crowded than a typical night of fireworks.
    Sleeping on Disney sheets...zzz

http://imagineartony.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse Wizard View Post
    They had an annoucemant around 6:30 saying they were closing for the party at 7, tickets were still available. They had a lot of longer lines the last hour the park was open to everyone, I'm assuming to encourage people to leave and to have staff to prepare for the party. as we left the park, they had most of the area in front of the castle completely blocked off and cleared, guessing they didn't want anyone trying to camp out there. Had a good amount of CM's checking for wristbands. DCA was crowded, much more so than usual, plenty of CM's around. Still had fastpasses for the 11:15 showing of World of Color past 8pm. And watching Halloween Screams from the entry plaza wasn't any more crowded than a typical night of fireworks.
    Good to hear......sounds like things went reasonably well

• Minion

any videos besides the parade but fireworks ?

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sp0tted View Post

WOW! I hadn't even considered all the construction going on at DCA and, apparently, Disney hasn't either until now, perhaps. (As I wrote earlier, I don't give the park much thought although, I do like "Soaring.") It sounds to me like, once event ticket holders arrive, they become the center of attention and everyone else is an afterthought.

Also, I didn't know that you can see the fireworks from the entrance plaza. Probably only the high ones, I imagine. Where else around the park's perimeter can they be seen? Are they visible from Downtown Disney? Just wondering.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Also, I didn't know that you can see the fireworks from the entrance plaza.
    shhhhh....you may want to keep that information on the down low; lest Disney attempt to charge an "entrance plaza fee"

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Actually, people who don't leave when asked to could be called worse things
    Well, let the name-calling begin. I rode Big Thunder right at park closing, then wandered around NOS, Frontierland and Adventureland. Made a phone call to a friend in Orlando to tell him about the differences I was seeing between the two parties, and was eventually approached by security to politely ask if I had a wrist-band. I said no, and was directed towards Main Street. I don't recall being told that I had to leave the park. I was aware that I would not be able to ride any attractions, and as I wandered the park after having dinner at the Plaza Inn, I avoided choke points where I would have been asked to show a wrist-band. I watched the cavalcade (seems generous to call it a parade) from iasw, and made my way back to Main Street to watch the fireworks. After the fireworks I went home.

I was asked, at one point, for my e-mail address so I could be asked about my experience at the party. I was not asked, at that point, whether or not I had a wrist-band. If they do contact me, I'll certainly be honest about that. I feel that allowing guests to remain in the park unhindered after the closing announcements, and allowed to dine, shop, and watch the entertainment offerings, would be fine. If you have no wrist-band, then you get no attractions, trick-or-treating, or character meet-n-greets. Simple as that. It would ease the crowd control craziness that seems to plague the DL resort lately. Interestingly, I just visited WDW for the first time, and didn't see a single CM waving a flashlight. They seemed to handle their mix-in Halloween party just fine, thank you very much! (I paid for that one, and took full advantage of the attractions, treats, and meet-n-greets. They also have a fantastic and elaborate parade, and a fireworks show that would give the AQMD a case of the vapors.)

The internet being the internet, and Mice-chat being a very special corner of the internet, I know full well that there will be people who will not hesitate to share their opinions about my post. Go ahead, if you need to get it out of your system. I'm wearing my flame-proof underwear. Being the internet, that's all I'm wearing, but it's flame-proof all the same.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast