Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Major Fantasyland Expansion

I have been thinking about this for a while and have come up with an all new expansion plan that immerses guests in an all new experience for fantasyland. The expansion area would occupy former park areas of the fantasyland theater and toontown (sorry i dont like the area at all, hopefully those who disagree will hopefully learn to like my concept better lol).Toontown is just so cheap looking and doesnt keep up with the pristine quality of the rest of the park The expansion is inspired by the environments from classic disney films. Srry for the long post...I have been working a long time on all this...bear with me

General overview: The area formerly toontown has now become a spacious forest (don't worry, its different than wdw's) featuring two all new e ticket attractions, an eating area, meet n greet area, and sitting area.Guests will be enter surrounded in the world of this wild and wonderful forest where the monstrous trees sweep up skyward above you as the light of the sun pierces through amongst flowing streams. (some trees would be real but others would be man made to fit the style). Look below for an idea of the look of the forest

Entrance:
    Guests would enter the area under the old toontown bridge which has been rethemed to the fallen bridge from sleeping beauty.

Fantasyland train station
    formerly the toontown station would be relocated to the opposite side of the tracks to be in the new area and would be themed to the woodcutters cottage from sleeping beauty. Guests enter the cottage they can hear aurora singing from the second floor.

Attractions:

Wrath of the Firebird
    -A thrilling rollercoaster adventure with the spring sprite as she encounters the monstrous firebird from fantasia 2000.

-ride marquee I sketched

Overview
    -A thrilling rollercoaster adventure with the spring sprite as she encounters the monstrous firebird from fantasia 2000. The queue would center around a natural setting and would show very little human influence. The queue winds through towering trees and over babbling brooks. In the queue the guests encounter the mighty stag. They enter a cave( taking them under the train tracks and to the showbuilding that occupies the former fantasyland theater) and encounter a few show scenes of the spring sprite creating flowers and other nature of the forest as scene in the clip below at 2:02 and 2:14. Music from those moments would play throughout the peaceful queue.The loading station displays a style where the forest atmosphere is still prominent, but as you board the vehicles (painted green with the spring sprite figurehead carved on the front of the train) you pass the large volcanic rock that is the egg of the firebird (3:00 in the video). The coaster train slowly glides off as you fly with the sprite into vast darkness. The train comes to a halt in the dead silence. All of a sudden, (3:08 in the video), the fiery eyes of the firebird appear with the startling music. The vehicle dashes forward into the main ride building interior that glows red and orange. Flame thrower whips shoot off and on madly as you speed by through twists and turns trying to escape the monstrous firebird that has appeared (the firebird appears mostly projected on the walls). It appears there is no escape like in the video at 4:30, but you rise up and shoot down into the outdoor section of the coaster featuring the forest (this area would not be seen by people not on the ride). The music from 9:08 to the end plays as you soar amongst the trees). As the dramatic soundtrack finishes the last stretch of the coaster sweeps you past the gallant stag.

YouTube - Disney's Fantasia 2000 - Firebird Suite

Beauty And the Beast

-A brand new state of the art e ticket attraction taking you through the magical story of one of disney's most beloved films.

Facade:
    - heres is the facade i sketched. This is where the forest of the area would open up to reveal this marvelous french chateau that will house the attraction. Note: to help with sightlines, rockwork mountains would be added with forced perspective.

Queue:
    The first part of the queue of the ride is modeled after the interiors of the castle from the film.

Then the next part is inspired by preshow segments like the haunted mansion stretching room and the tower of tower video film. Guests enter an octagonal room with a towering ceiling. On the side of each wall are large curtains obscuring things from view. Music of the prologue slowly plays as the room slowly grows dark. The narrator is heard telling the prologue. As he speaks the each curtain unveils in the dark displaying projection that creates the illusion of stained glass windows. Curtains revealing of each image coincides with the narrrator's words to reveal the story of the spoiled prince and how he became a beast. The music and narrator would sound exactly as it does in the video below. The stain glass windows would be the same as well. As the narrator speaks at 2:00 lightning would flash and thunder would roll. As the dialogue in the video concludes, the lights would slowly come back on and a door would slide open.
    YouTube - Beauty and The Beast Prologue (English)

Guests would then find themselves in the final part of the queue modeled after the west wing. music from the video below would play

YouTube - Beauty And The Beast Soundtrack ~ West Wing

Art for the queue to give you an idea:

guests encounter the rose, magic mirror, and the beasts slashed protrait here before the board the trackless ride system

they would basically see what bell sees in the video below starting at 0:36

YouTube - Beauty and the Beast Music - The West Wing by Alan Menken

-Guests board the vehicles that journey out the window and down to the town village to begin the ride.

Examples of a few of the show scenes that take you through the classic story:

guests exit the ride and pass through and indoor garden with white marble pillars and the stain glass window similar to the scene below

Eatery

The Snuggly Duckling

The pub from tangled that offers chicken, beef, soups, and salad. It is a pub that has been overgrown by the monstrous trees of the forest. Inside roots stretch up through the floorboards and act as barstools, etc. It would appear exactly as it does below. There would also be a tangled meet n greet here for flynn and rapunzel.

Sitting area

The Old Mill
    - a sitting area situated around the pond area of the old mill. Guests can sit and rest here. Every 30 minutes animatronic animals including frogs, fireflies, ducks, and more come sing together as in the cartoon short. At night the rainstorm is re-inacted from the short. Lily pad flowers light up with led lighting and shine on and off choreographed with the music. Lighting flashed and rain is projected as the old mill swirls around and around.

YouTube - Walt Disney's The Old Mill (1937)

I would love something like this expansion to replace toontown. I just feel this expansion would change fantasyland for the better, make it even more memorable and make it appealing to all ages including teens and adults. I know they will probably never tear down toontown but whatever lol. Let me know what you guys think, I always appreciate your comments!!!
    Last edited by hawk671; 10-04-2010 at 12:36 PM.

• Minion

Re: Major Fantasyland Expansion

Some really good ideas there. As much as I like ToonTown I would be happy to see it go for this.

• I'm not really here

Agreed. I actually really enjoy Toon Town, but a proper expansion of Fantasyland with really well thought out attractions and proper, way over the top themeing would be welcome. The space is underutilized as Toon Town, as cute and fun as it can be.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'd rather be @ D-land

You have been thinking about this for a long time!! What beautiful ideas and I am really impressed by your sketches.

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

I love the idea for the entrance!! Gorgeous ideas
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• Banned User

This is a great idea! I feel that ToonTown could be fixed, and plussed, but if they take it out, and add onto Fantasyland, I'd vote for something like this to be greenlit.

• Nutty guy from Canada

Nicely done.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Banned User

Some good ideas, but I'm way against getting rid of an entire land to do it. If they can expand into the Festival Arena, then maybe this could be done.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Doesn't anyone like ToonTown?! I at least want one of the American parks to have that land.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• I'm not really here

I said I liked Toon Town...

But I further stated that I think the Toon Town idea is far too under-utilized. It could be so much more and they haven't touched it since it opened. If they aren't going to pay attention to it, then why bother? Especially with so many ideas for Fantasyland... so many dark rides that could be made. They don't seem all the interested in working with the Toon theme.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I just don't think toontown represents classic disney like adventureland, tommorrowland, main street, frontierland, new orleans square, and fantasyland do. It doesn't fit in the with rest of the park's elegant style.

• long time listener

First of all, GREAT work!! Thanks for putting in so much time and energy.

In response to a few posts ago, I am one that likes Toontown but it certainly is not a "must do" on each visit.

And IF Toontown was a sacred cow, perhaps this newly proposed area could repurpose Motor Boat Cruise, Fantasyland theater, FL Skyway, Festival of Fools... There's a lot of room to play with in FL.
    Last edited by ScienceProject; 10-04-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: multiple typos. ugh

I really like the general concept - Toontown leaves me cold........

RRCS really belongs in DCA's Hollywood Pictures Backlot - especially with the re-theming of BVS - it fits perfectly and the size of RRCS doesn't present a problem with "fitting" an attraction into HPBL...........

Toon Town should go away, RRCS can go to DCA, where it fits better thematically, and the rest of Fantasyland can be expanded north.......

Whether or not such an expansion should use the Festival of Fools area which was previously discussed belonging to an expansion of Frontierland is another matter altogether.

However, with the removal of RRCS to DCA, Toon Town and Festival of Fools arena (combined with the former Motor Boat Cruise area - which I hope will include the Beaty and the Beast dark ride) will expand Fantasyland northwards into a thematically consistent concept.......

But these are really great ideas........ a "thrill" coaster combined with a B&TB dark ride will enhance Fantasyland tremendously!

• Banned User

I don't get the way people treat Toon Town like it's not a legit land. It's a permanent fixture people. No one would suggest getting rid of the castle or the river. You just don't get rid of an entire land. I'm not a big fan of certain things in the park, but they all have a place and I appreciate that. Toon Town has been and remains one of the best designed and themed lands in all of the parks, and that quality has lead it to being created in several other parks. Because it's become a staple. I think the reason some people feel this way about it is because some of us remember when it opened, and so we still think of it as a baby land, but it's established now folks. As far as I'm concerned Fantasyland doesn't get an inch more room until it adequately uses the space it has. Here's looking at you Fantasyland Theatre.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    You just don't get rid of an entire land.
    It has been done before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast