• Creative Director

Management Re-organization for Parks and Resorts!!!

Has anyone here heard of the mangament re-organization that Jay Rasulo has put into place for the global management of Disney Parks and Resorts?

I don't remember exactly everything, but you can go to Laughingplace.com for Jay Rasulo's letter to the company in their section called the Latest. There is also a thread at another board with the perspective of someone who works in TDA and how this is going to affect the whole Disneyland operation. Seems like Matt Ouimet doesn't have the control he use to, basically, they made it seem like he lost it. There is a whole new executive committee that the resorts have to answer to (basically so Jay can have more control), and Al Weiss of WDW is now in charge of all operations for parks worldwide. No longer, does it seem, that each individual park will really control itself and itself alone. I hear our facilities dept. at disneyland now has to answer to walt disney world.

that is not the whole story, and there are lots of opinions on this, but from the one perspective of the person who works in TDA, this seems to not be good at all.
    what do you guys think?

• Creative Director

Re: Management Re-organization for Parks and Resorts!!!

oh, and now all future and most current projects for Disneyland Resort are back on the table. and not so much in a good way.
    Let's hope they stay!

• out & about

If they mess up the good stuff they had going Im gonna...
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Mr. Weiss isn't in control of all the parks. He's on a committee of 6 that is. If anything, it buffers Mr. Weiss from the parks and muffles his power. This committee is just trying to streamline activities b/t the different resorts, which needs to happen. Mr. Ouimet never had the power to make these decisions regarding the painting or new attractions--he always had to persuade those above him. His power comes from the fact that he has the guts to demand change.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Mr. Weiss isn't in control of all the parks. He's on a committee of 6 that is. If anything, it buffers Mr. Weiss from the parks and muffles his power. This committee is just trying to streamline activities b/t the different resorts, which needs to happen. Mr. Ouimet never had the power to make these decisions regarding the painting or new attractions--he always had to persuade those above him. His power comes from the fact that he has the guts to demand change.
    Not true.

Al Weiss was recently promoted to be an extra layer of management between Jay Rasulo and all the Presidents of all the Disney theme parks, like Matt Ouimet. His new title will be President of Worldwide Operations.

Those individuals will no longer report directly to Rasulo; they will report directly to Weiss:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...news-headlines

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Not true.

Al Weiss was recently promoted to be an extra layer of management between Jay Rasulo and all the Presidents of all the Disney theme parks, like Matt Ouimet. His new title will be President of Worldwide Operations.

Those individuals will no longer report directly to Rasulo; they will report directly to Weiss:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...news-headlines
    I don't see anywhere in that article what President, Worldwide Operations means. I do see, however, the fact that 6 people will be in charge of all of the parks, not just Al Weiss. This will dilute Mr. Weiss's voice. What do you think the other 5 people on the committee are in charge of? Popcorn production?
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I really hope they don't wdwize the disneyland resort!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I don't see anywhere in that article what President, Worldwide Operations means. I do see, however, the fact that 6 people will be in charge of all of the parks, not just Al Weiss. This will dilute Mr. Weiss's voice. What do you think the other 5 people on the committee are in charge of? Popcorn production?
    The "eight-member executive committee" which includes Weiss and Rasulo was created to "develop strategy" for the parks and resorts:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...4445025_newsml

This committee will not be involved in the day-to-day operations. That will be Weiss' new job as President of Worldwide Operations.

Rasulo promoted Weiss so that he would no longer have to deal directly with the Presidents of all the parks/resorts. Weiss' promotion adds an extra layer of management between executives like Matt Ouimet and Jay Rasulo.

Now when Matt wants to add something new to DL or DCA, he calls on Al initially, and not Jay.

From that link, it looks like he will report to Don Goodman, Jim Hunt, and Al Weiss to push new projects...again, diluting Al's opinions.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Rock Star Minion

The new parks structure is aimed at letting the group rapidly roll out new projects and increase consistency of business practices throughout the unit, Disney said.
    I don't know how much more consistent the business practices at the various Disney-run parks can be. If anything, they'll discover that the parks require different business practices.

I see Al having more power and responsibility than CM Matt in this new structure. Al is on the committee AND President of Worldwide Operations. It's committees like this that decide to change POTC into a marketing device for the POTC movie sequels.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Blog Entries

as you say, it'll require different buisness practises. WDW is a tourist destination, Disneyland is a Local's Destination!

~

• Creative Director

From someone in TDA, they say that Matt is losing power with this new setup.

Blog Entries

No! That can't happen! Matt's doing an amazing job!!!

~

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    as you say, it'll require different buisness practises. WDW is a tourist destination, Disneyland is a Local's Destination!
    But the hope is to make the DLR a tourist destination.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!