Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ElecTRONica Opening with HD Video!

I went to ElecTRONica on Friday night for the opening and I've gotta tell you it was amazing! This was a themed experience with WDI flexing their creative muscle to do exactly what they do best - immerse us in themed environments and take us on adventures. The main dance event catered towards an 18+ crowd, but there was something there for everyone of all ages to enjoy, and I will further illustrate that with the videos that I've posted. The first video will focus on the opening pre-show, and the others will focus on other aspects of the event. I have a ton of great footage and I can't wait to show you what I've seen.

I will say that for the first time today I thought that the Disney California Adventure Park felt really crowded. I'm not sure if that was because of the new event, that the Halloween Party closed Disneyland early, or a combination of both, but DCA was definitely kickin:

Granted this is right after World of Color, but still...this is like rush hour on the 405

Here are some photos taken during the day before ElecTRONica:

Muppet Vision 3D Closes at 5:00pm for ElecTRONica:

The colorful paint tubes are gone and the Muppet Space Ship remains:

and now for the video trip report from ElecTRONica:

PART 1: Pre-Show

ElecTRONica kicks off with a Pre-Show choreographed by Josh Horner. The show begins in the 80s paying tribute to the original Tron movie released in 1982. As the panels on the stage turn and the players are transformed into programs as we are told that the game has evolved. The programs battle with their identity disks in a very cool dance sequence, and then we meet Ekert. Ekert is our emcee for ElecTRONica and he invites us to count down 'til the opening of the portal. Then, he invites us to step into the grid.

Part 1: Pre-Show

PART 2: The Portal: Into the Grid

Once the portal is open, everyone makes their way down Hollywood Blvd. towards Tron City. Projection mapping technology transforms the buildings into an electric blue tunnel of light. Periodically there is a power surge and electricity shoots across the buildings. Children and adults are invited to play a glowing frisbee game along the streets as they make their way towards the dance party that lies ahead.

Part 2: Portal: Into the Grid

PART 3: TRON City

The mood is festive in Tron City. A DJ spins tunes in a centralized outdoor dance floor under a grid of blue pulsing light. Programs are on the dance floor raising their identity disks in the air and waving them like they just don't care. Futuristic gogo dancers tower over the crowd on glowing white platforms. Lasers dance across the sky and buildings come alive with video projections that seem to dance to the rhythm of the music. Food and drinks (including glowing alcoholic beverages) are available. Guests are invited to preview TRON 3D and witness many other forms of entertainment including another dance performance choreographed by Josh Horner. Up next: Laser Man.

Part 3: TRON City

Part 4: LaserMan

Ekert from the pre-show reappears and invites us to enjoy LaserMan whom he promises will amaze us, and the show doesn't disappoint. It's so cool that I just decided to record the whole show and upload it in its entirety. This is such an original concept for a performance - a combination of mime and technology synced to an audio track. I'm glad that Disney is supporting this artist by having him perform at ElecTRONica - from my understanding he developed the act himself and was brought in because it really fit the TRON theme they were going for. At the time when I was at ElecTRONica LaserMan was performing starting at 7:30 and every hour thereafter on the :30.

Part 4: LaserMan

Part 5: Flynn's Arcade

Towards the back of Tron City, is Flynn's Arcade. A neon sign on the side of a building glows warmly welcomes you in the open doors beneath. Inside you discover an authentic looking 80s arcade complete with vintage video games including TRON. Periodically, the lights flicker and a light behind the Tron game illuminates a door frame and we hear dialogue from the movie trailer that indicates that Flynn is still alive. If 80s games aren't your style, you're free to play in a tournament outside the arcade where you can race on the new Tron Evolution game for Nintendo Wii. Outside you will also find projection mapping used again to simulate the facade of Flynn's arcade. Periodically the facade projection moves away and is replaced with animation of Tron City or a short movie trailer.

Part 5: Flynn's Arcade

Overall, I have to say I'm really impressed with what Walt Disney Imagineering was able to create in the backlot. Its always nice to see that special attention to detail that you can get at Disney - even for temporary attractions like this one. It looks like this will be a very successful event for DCA and one that will be fun for a wide range of guests. Its nice to actually have something new and worth experiencing in the Hollywood Pictures backlot too. I don't think the building where Flynn's is located has been open to regular park guests since Hollywood & Dine closed within the first year DCA was open. I also noticed that park guests were taking short breaks from the party atmosphere to ride on Monsters Inc. a ride that is often just a "walk on" attraction.

To wrap up my trip report, here are a few more photos from ElecTRONica:

Last edited by DisneyContinent; 10-12-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Update: Added Video Trip Report Part 5 and Edited TR

• Metal Head loves Disney

Re: ElecTRONica Opening with HD Video!

DCA WAS overcrowded! I sneaked out of the party like atmosphere to take a quick ride on ToT, but I walked back dissipointed after finding out that I would have to wait 90 minutes to board the attraction. Can't wait for that TR, lets see if I come out in the video.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

• Banned User

It was crazy busy tonight. And I had to work it! We sold out of the discs SOOOOOO fast! As soon as I'd bring more out ppl would grab them from me! It was insane! Wow today was tiring! It was definately a long day! Can't wait to read your trip report!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyContinent View Post
    Well, I better get to editing video if I'm going to have this trip report up in all its glory tomorrow morning. Please do check back soon! I'll have more video and details for you as soon as possible!
    So, I woke up to that lovely message this morning: my computer is TOO full of video from ElecTRONica to save my final edit. Sorry guys! I promise to have something up very soon. I need to buy a new external hard drive and transfer lots of files off of my main computer. What I've got is well worth the wait tho, I'm editing a multi-angle video that really captures the experience of ElecTRONica!

• film975

I was there last night too. And yes, WDI did a great job with this. I was really impressed with the extended trailer. Granted, it was the same one shown at ComicCon earlier this year. But it was shown in 3D... true 3D! Has anyone notice Al's editor's note? To me, the only answer is both. I got a feeling that TRON: LEGACY is gonna be a huge hit.

Fry's has insanely low prices on half terrabyte and terrabyte external hard drives.
    Worth the investment esp. if you do a lot of videos.

• Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    It was crazy busy tonight. And I had to work it! We sold out of the discs SOOOOOO fast! As soon as I'd bring more out ppl would grab them from me! It was insane! Wow today was tiring! It was definately a long day! Can't wait to read your trip report!!!
    Oh! So you guys were selling those light discs somewhere! I saw tons of them waving around in the air, but I couldn't find em. I so wanna buy one!

• Metal Head loves Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    Oh! So you guys were selling those light discs somewhere! I saw tons of them waving around in the air, but I couldn't find em. I so wanna buy one!
    One next to the Muppet Theater, one across from Award Wieners, and I think toy store next to Bakers Field Bakery sold them as well.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

Update: After I got an external drive, my computer still wasn't responding - had to take it to the Apple store and they said my RAM had worked its way loose. They fixed everything. The videos are coming very soon I promise - I've just had to deal with these unexpected setbacks. I'm also having to edit these in iMovie - I miss having access to Final Cut Pro like I did in college.

To hold you over while while we wait for the video to render, here are a few more photos from my visit:

The demolition of the "Worlds Largest Tile Mural" has begun:

Muppet Vision 3D Closes at 5:00pm for ElecTRONica:

The colorful paint tubes are gone and the Muppet Space Ship remains:

While World of Color will be shown every day of the week, ElecTRONica is only scheduled on weekends.

• Banned User

Found this nice HD footage of ElecTROnica, nice to hear there playing some real good dance music (at the 4:40ish mark - Dj is spinning 'At Night [Accapella]' by Shakedown)
    YouTube - Disney's ElecTRONica! Opening Night!

• Vroom, vroom!

I could swear in that video I can hear the MCP talking, something about unauthorized Users in the area. Or am I mistaken?
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• film975

I wish I could have gotten one of those disc toys. those are gonna be even more popular when the movie comes out in December. The latest episode of my YouTube series is now online. Which features my HD footage of opening night if anyone wishes to see it.

YouTube - Disneyland Insider - The Never Completed Parks
    Last edited by film975; 10-11-2010 at 01:28 AM.

UPDATE!
    The original post now has video for Part 1: Pre-Show

Up Next: Into the Grid

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I wish I could have gotten one of those disc toys. those are gonna be even more popular when the movie comes out in December. The latest episode of my YouTube series is now online. Which features my HD footage of opening night if anyone wishes to see it.

YouTube - Disneyland Insider - The Never Completed Parks
    i like how you combined everything going on in the parks into one report - good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyContinent View Post
    I went to ElecTRONica tonight for the big opening and I've gotta tell you it was amazing! This was a themed experience with WDI flexing their creative muscle to do exactly what they do best - immerse us in creative environments and take us on adventures. I will say that the main dance event catered towards an 18+ crowd, but there was something there for everyone of all ages to enjoy, and I will further illustrate that with the videos that I'm currently editing. The first video will focus on the opening pre-show, and the others will focus on other aspects of the event. I have a ton of great footage and I can't wait to show you what I've seen.

I will say that for the first time today I thought that the Disney California Adventure Park felt really crowded. I'm not sure if that was because of the new event, that the Halloween Party closed Disneyland early, or a combination of both, but DCA was definitely kickin.

Granted this is right after World of Color, but still...this is like rush hour on the 405

Well, I better get to editing video if I'm going to have this trip report up in all its glory tomorrow morning. Please do check back soon! I'll have more video and details for you as soon as possible!

All updates will be posted here and noted in the thread as soon as they are available!

PART 1: Pre-Show

ElecTRONica kicks off with a Pre-Show choreographed by Josh Horner. The show begins in the 80s paying tribute to the original Tron movie released in 1982. As the panels on the stage turn and the players are transformed into programs as we are told that the game has evolved. The programs battle with their identity disks in a very cool dance sequence, and then we meet Ekert. Ekert is our emcee for ElecTRONica and he invites us to count down 'til the opening of the portal. Then, he invites us to step into the grid.

Part 1: Pre-Show

PART 2: The Portal: Into the Grid

Once the portal is open, everyone makes their way down Hollywood Blvd. towards Tron City. Projection mapping technology transforms the buildings into an electric blue tunnel of light. Periodically there is a power surge and electricity shoots across the buildings. Children and adults are invited to play a glowing frisbee game along the streets as they make their way towards the dance party that lies ahead.

Part 2: Portal: Into the Grid
    UPDATE! Part 2 is up! More to come when I get back from work tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast