Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    So, about that fort wilderness: is it ever going to re-open? I've managed to miss it every time I've been to the park before, and now it's closed. I reeeeeeeally want to explore it. Are they really going to keep it closed for good?
    Pretty darn sure! The island is one lawsuit after another waiting to happen. They are taking a page from the Redwood play area in DCA and retrofitting the island so they can avoid litigious minded individuals with small children and bruised knees.

I like the Big Thunder Idea, however how would that effect Fantasmic? My understanding of Fantasmic in Florida is that it sucks. Basically one night during crowd control, I ran into a high ranking manager from WDW and she and her family were watching our Fantasmic for the first time and she loved it way more, because it felt organic and fresh and brought the park to life.

So go ahead move Thunder as long as it don't mess with Fantasmic.

• Reaver of Souls

As long as they build behind the staging area for Fantasmic!, I wouldn't think it would effect it at all. The only area really used by the show is the stage. The island at DLP is pretty small, so I'd think they could just clone it on the back 2/3 of our island. The biggest logistical problem is getting to and from the island. You couldn't load from the "mainland" as they do in Paris without going under the river, which would mean draining the river to build the tunnel (and maybe fix the gas line to the burning cabin at the same time!), and that would mean no Fantasmic!, no Twain, no canoes, nothing, until construction was completed on the tunnel.

They can't build it self-contained on the island and use the pontoons, because they'd never be able to run them fast enough, and then what happens when Fantasmic! runs? You'd be stuck on the island while they prep the pontoons for the show, run the show, and strike afterwards. I'd say maybe a large drawbridge of some kind (which wouldn't be out of place with the feel of the area), but while that would solve the load issie, the bridge would still need to be raised during Fantasmic!

Lot's of little logitical issues, but I know the Imagineers could deal with them, if allowed to...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

[QUOTE=ah schucks]Pretty darn sure! The island is one lawsuit after another waiting to happen. They are taking a page from the Redwood play area in DCA and retrofitting the island so they can avoid litigious minded individuals with small children and bruised knees.

, I ran into a high ranking manager from WDW and she and her family were watching our Fantasmic for the first time and she loved it way more, because it felt organic and fresh and brought the park to life.
    QUOTE]

Lawsuits a plenty for sure - especially with some crazies o nthe pontoon bridge :devil:

And Organic is good - just makes me feel closer to nature by saying it Everyone - O R G A N I C ! !

Now take a deep breath and cough!

whay not just use the island as a launching point for the nightly firework show and be done with it- then they would not have to close som man y attractions an hour before the fireworks and it would not harm or alter Fantasmic.

WDI

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

The renovation of TSI was funded during Harris' regime. So, because she didn't care about DL and it's rides she didn't fund a renovation of the fort. Now that we have a competent mgmt team in place running DL there is hope the fort will be renovated and reopened in the future. Currently, the fort is used as a staging area for the Fantasmic cast. The structure itself is heavily damaged by wood rot and termites. Not safe for guests to go crawling through.

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

I had mentioned on another thread something similar to the idea of a BTRR on the back half of TSI. Although I'd said something to the effect of a Rockin Rollercoaster meets DLP's Indiana Jones. Being that it could be a gold rush themed mine car out of control. I'd think that still goes with the surrounding theme.

The idea I thought of to manage the queue was to build a hydraulic bridge under water. The center of the bridge could incorporate part of the Columbia and Mark Twain track so that when lowered the boats could effectively operate. When the bridge is lifted railings would come up and the track could lower and be covered by something so quests couldn't trip or mess with the track. Guests could traverse the bridge over to the main queue/show building on TSI. Virtually you could build a queue, forgive me cause I wasn't around when this attraction was, where that abandonded mine shaft is and rail car across from BTMRR. The bridge could come up behind the ships as they load passengers turn-styles would count the number of guests sent over to ride the new attraction.

How long does it take the Mark Twain and Columbia to circle the island and on days the two are operating simultaneously whats the time difference between the two.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• Minion

To be honest, please no one yell....Maybe Tom Sawyer Island should be scrapped and something new put there...There is nothing there but mud and the fort is closed.

• Tour Ship Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by jmuboy
    The renovation of TSI was funded during Harris' regime. So, because she didn't care about DL and it's rides she didn't fund a renovation of the fort. Now that we have a competent mgmt team in place running DL there is hope the fort will be renovated and reopened in the future. Currently, the fort is used as a staging area for the Fantasmic cast. The structure itself is heavily damaged by wood rot and termites. Not safe for guests to go crawling through.

from what I was told by a CM the only reason Ft wilderness is still standing is because the entertainment division took claim of it from attractions to use it for Fantasmic. Had they not made the move the fort would have gone the way of Cascade Peak and only be a memory
    REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT

• I Hug My Tapirs

I would love to see TSI return to its former glory. I'm a 6-year-old stuck in the body of a 22-year-old, and I have way too much fun romping around that island. It's a great place for a big game of hide and seek!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RX-24
    from what I was told by a CM the only reason Ft wilderness is still standing is because the entertainment division took claim of it from attractions to use it for Fantasmic. Had they not made the move the fort would have gone the way of Cascade Peak and only be a memory
    Well, hopefully the speculation is accurate and the current leadership isn't as enamored of Entertainment as the old guard. Not that I want TSI or even its fort to go away. But every time certain topics get brought up, the response always seems to be "Entertainment owns that." How big is that division, and more importantly, WHY?

I think it would be nice to open up a bit more of TSI near the fort, open up the snack stand with some cold sandwhiches and drinks, and create a little picnic area so people can just sit down on the grass, wave at the river traffic, and enjoy the scenery.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

The last time I was at the park, Tom Sawyer Island was "open." Why did I put quotes around the word open you might ask? Read on.
    Apparently, Disneyland has been suffering from a recent economic slump. Now, this tremor is being felt throughout the entire company, yet for some reason our very own Disneyland Resort has taken it upon themselves to "rent" out some room inside the gates of the Magic Kingdom!
    As I was making my way around the Island as I usually do on wednesdays, sort of a ritual, I noticed a strange sound. Now either they had moved Brear Bears cave over to Tom Sawyer Island and it was his recorded snore I was hearing, or someone was sleeping in the nearby bushes! Startled as anyone would be, and equally curious, I approached the congested shrub. I was only meters away when all of the sudden two figures sprang from my right and left and tackled me to the ground, my popped corn spilling every where!
    I lied there for a few seconds, perplexed as to what had just happened. I finally opened eyes and couldn't believe what I was seeing! An army of bums had descended upon my scattered popcorn kernels and were gobbling them up like birds! I then looked around in my peripheral and realized I was surrounded by sleeping bags, broken lawn chairs, empty beer cans, and dirty magazines. All posessions of these Island dwellers. I first pointed a finger and asserted that these characters had no right to be setting up camp at Disneyland, but was taken aback when the leader, Harry the Bottle, explained to me their situation. "We were picked up from our corners outside the park by some suites and taken into a room where we were offered a campground free of dangers and government sanction. The only thang (stipulation) was, we have to shave, get a haircut, dress in fine suits, and attend some board meetings where we are given a list of things to vote on. It's not a real vote, kinda like Iraq in a way, just a list of stuff (referendum) and we have only one option."
    It all made sense. These bums were the board members responsible for all the terrible descions made within the company for the past decade and a half. I was blown away, but only to a certain degree.
    As for the Island, it is open. As for the bushes, if you happen to hear some snoring coming from the far corners, don't investigate any further. It's not what you want to see.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    I would love to see TSI return to its former glory. I'm a 6-year-old stuck in the body of a 22-year-old, and I have way too much fun romping around that island. It's a great place for a big game of hide and seek!
    If you make a trip to WDW, you can play at Tom's Sawyers Island to your heart's content. You can even "shoot" the guns! They've rencently (within the past couple of years) added a playground to the island as well and can eat a snack at Aunt Polly's. The mroe I read on these boards the less I like Disneyland! I used to go once a year with my family and have fond memories but haven't been to DL in 15 years.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Sters
    If you make a trip to WDW, you can play at Tom's Sawyers Island to your heart's content. You can even "shoot" the guns! They've rencently (within the past couple of years) added a playground to the island as well and can eat a snack at Aunt Polly's. The mroe I read on these boards the less I like Disneyland! I used to go once a year with my family and have fond memories but haven't been to DL in 15 years.
    Thats too bad. I can see how the Pressler administration scared off good folks like you but it would take far more than a bad run for someone to ruin the magic of the original.

Wait 5 years and keep an eye on the original, I suspect you'll see renovations, new rides and improvements worth breaking your 15 year stretch.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    My two cents, if they're going to dumb down the island (which they've already started to do with the closure of Wilderness), I say we scrap the whole concept, take a page from DLP, and rebuild Big Thunder on the island. That kills two birds with one stone - a) It gives us a new, updated (and safer!) Big Thunder and b) Doesn't require shutting down the old one while the new one is being built. Big Thunder on the island in Paris is a Blast! It adds a new feel to the ride...

Then they'll also have a huge area where the old Big Thunder is to put in something new. Or maybe another picnic area...
    I love this idea! the only downside is that the attraction would probably have to close at night for fantasmic since so much of the staging is done behind TSI- but that is the kind of creative thinking the frontierland need.

Plus the canoes would be more fun
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Sters
    I actually was a WDW CM for awhile, but I rarely went over to TSI. I'm not really sure why. The trails and caves didn't feel nearly as extensive, and there was no treehouse.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    I actually was a WDW CM for awhile, but I rarely went over to TSI. I'm not really sure why. The trails and caves didn't feel nearly as extensive, and there was no treehouse.
    One thing I didn't like when I was there. It seemed like, to get to the back half of the island, you have to cross a one-way-at-a-time bridge. Or at least, the way people were crossing it, you couldn't fit two-way traffic across it.

What I think might be cool is to turn TSI into a penninsula of sorts. But the ships are so tall, I don't think it'd be functional.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast