• Banned User

Possible New Motion Simulator Technology used for Future Rides?

While I was doing some fooling around on YouTube, I came across this ad that I found very interesting.

YouTube - 2010 Lexus Commercial: "The Next Big Thing" (long)

I think this could definitely be used potentially more realistic motion simulator attractions for either Disney or Universal. This could open up a new era of realistic ride simulators. Any ideas on what this could be used? How could this be used effectively? Share your thoughts.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Re: Possible New Motion Simulator Technology used for Future Rides?

That definitely looks like it would make for some very radical ride! However, unfortunately, Disney will probably never implement a motion simulator that actually takes up that much physical space. Perhaps they might use something like that but with just half as much space for travel along both the x and y horizontal axis.

Besides the space considerations, I think that the other problem with this capable of a simulator would be a much larger percentage of people not being able to ride without suffering some serious motion sickness.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• I'm not really here

Not really all that new either. NASA has a 6 degrees of freedom simulator (this one only has 5) that they use for training pilots.

I had a ride idea a while back that used a 6DOF simulator on a much smaller scale. People ended up liking the queue more than the ride

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Why does it go forward like that? I mean it's got to stop going forward sometime. Does this mean that your going to feel yourself going forward for six seconds?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Why does it go forward like that? I mean it's got to stop going forward sometime. Does this mean that your going to feel yourself going forward for six seconds?
    Yes. It gives a much more realistic feeling of lateral acceleration. Yawing (tipping) the simulator is ok as far as it goes, but your inner ear can generally tell the difference. So lateral motion can really add a lot to a simulation. In the case of this video, a car. Combining lateral accelerations with yawing motions can make you fell like you are taking a turn in a car at 50mph very realistically.

This is NASA's Vertical Motion Simulator:
    A wild ride on NASA's massive flight simulator | Geek Gestalt - CNET News

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Doesn't Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey use something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

That is awesome! I love technology like that. It would be really neat seeing that become the next motion simulator. But unfortunately I don't think it will go into DL, but instead put in WDW since they kinda have more room to build it.
    I designed a similar idea, but original in it's own way. Stick the theater on a roller coaster track so that you feel the actual movements you see..

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Yes. It gives a much more realistic feeling of lateral acceleration. Yawing (tipping) the simulator is ok as far as it goes, but your inner ear can generally tell the difference. So lateral motion can really add a lot to a simulation. In the case of this video, a car. Combining lateral accelerations with yawing motions can make you fell like you are taking a turn in a car at 50mph very realistically.

This is NASA's Vertical Motion Simulator:
    A wild ride on NASA's massive flight simulator | Geek Gestalt - CNET News
    I'm pretty sure the same principles are in effect in Mission: SPACE at Epcot, no? They make us feel completely weightless by simply laying us on our backs and spinning the cabin in place at a slow speed. Whatever it was, it was sure convincing!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Doesn't Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey use something like that?
    Kinda, they use those robotic KUKA arms on a track.