Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Hunchback of Notre Dame show

I visited once as a young kid with my family and LOVED Festival of Fools! That and the Pocahontas show!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Always loved the old Festival of Fools and thought it was a shame they canned it in favor of nothing. Hunchback isn't too popular, I know, but it stinks that they only use it for functions. Doesn't hurt that i love the film dearly either.

Der Glockner is rather incredible from what I've seen. The soundtrack is amazing.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe as much as I think many Disney movies would be great shows, DLR needs shows like Aladdin that have a character that can inprob jokes. I think the Genie is about 90% of why the show is still so loved today after 8 years, thats a LONG time for a show at Disneyland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Maybe as much as I think many Disney movies would be great shows, DLR needs shows like Aladdin that have a character that can inprob jokes. I think the Genie is about 90% of why the show is still so loved today after 8 years, thats a LONG time for a show at Disneyland.
    If you're looking for a Hunchback character that can improv and make pop culture references like Genie does you don't have to look further than the gargoyles Hugo, Victor, and Laverne.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I think so too! Just add a new number, a struggle number for Esmeralda(much like what they did for Aladdin @ DCA.)

Timekeeper
    I think "God Help the Outcasts" would qualify as a struggle number.

• ...and Disney. =)

It was really a great show. Brings back great memories from my first and only Disneyland trip with my whole family.. Thanks for posting the Youtube video, Sparky. =) =) =)

• My turn

Aw I remember that show. Saw it many times but never fully grasped it, or the movie for that matter, because I was too young to unerstand the full story. Now I'm older, understand the movie, and wish that I could see the show again.

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

As much as I love Hunchback, I never got to go to the Festival of Fools I think I was satisfied with the meet and greet with Quasi. When I saw him in Fantasyland, I was ecstatic haha.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Looking for Heavens Light

I have also been thinking about this concept for a while. Whenever I step into the Hyperion I imagine the theatre as different shows. I think Hunchback is an amazing choice here because it also gives something to those people in the upper balcony. I saw Aladdin a few times from this view and the show is lacking. Granted those who view Aladdin from the balcony have the shortest wait time, it should not affect the quality of the show and IMHO, Aladdin is a bummer from the balcony.

Now imagine Quazi singing "Out There" near the ceiling and it brings tears to my eyes. This show may also push Disney Entertainment to new arenas in terms of special effects. (How do you burn Esmeralda? Similar to the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough perhaps? Scrims and projections? Just lighting effects? Cut the scene because it is just too complex and scary??)

• Disneyland Goober

I LOVED the "Festival of Fools" show! I love the music from that movie anyway, so to have a live action show going on all around you was amazing! Sadly these days, I know several kids who've never even seen this movie so have no point of reference (it's kind of a serious, scary movie to some!). I wish they'd use that space for something!

Add this to my list of retired shows/parades I liked which include the Pocahontas show and the Mulan parade. Oh, and Aladdin's Oasis was neat too, although right now the highlights were the genie punch and the delicious dark chocolate lamp filled with chocolate mousse and raspberry sauce on the side! Mmmmm!

Oh, I loved that show! I only saw it one time. I don't think it ran that long.

I loved the Festival of Fools!! It was a good show, my daughter used to beg me to go to Disneyland just to watch it.

Ah yes i remember that show as well and I think it is one of the most colorful and immersive shows that they have produced!

I know that the stage was used a long, long time ago to host marching/concert band events for middle schools and high schools. I went to one in the 90's where there were like 3 bands performing together and we had a closing ceremony type of thing there where mickey and his broomsticks from fantasia came out and danced around on the stage to fantasia music. Dont know if they still do that today though...

• Misses WDW

Hunchback was a great show. It was also a time where the entertainment schedule was typically full for a summer day/night. If I recall correctly (using 1997), the front of the guide was usually packed with:

Hunchback Show
    Pocahontas Show
    Billy Hill
    Light Magic
    Fantasmic
    Fantasy in the Sky
    Lion King Parade
    College all star band
    Magic Kingdom Core
    TLT Band

Lots of great and plentiful entertainment offerings!

There was a live "Hunchback" show at (what is now called) Disney's Hollywood Studios, which ran during the original release of the movie in 1996. I heard that the choice to base the stage musical in Berlin had something to do with the movie doing well there at the box-office. It's definitly the "Disney" version, with elements that were created for the film(i.e., I don't think Lon Chaney of Charles Laughton ever had gargoyles talking BACK to them. That's an example of something that was unique to the Disney version).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast