• former CM

Post Frontierland option

How about a hotel like Disneyland Paris' Hotel Cheyenne with its own park entrance behind Frontierland? The Hotel Cheyenne is a great place to hang out. It's so spread out that a resort like it could offer Disneyland guests a nice respite from the crowded park. International guests on short visits to America might like to experience more of our western culture, even if it were of the artificial Disney variety.

And maybe there could be a Buffalo Bill-type show, campfires, hay rides, and a small, free exhibit from the Gene Autry museum. Perhaps some of the horses could be kept there to improve the atmosphere. Robert A.M. Stern's group could contribute their usual fantastic designs.

There could also be an exit from the new Frontierland area that would be a shortcut to the Mickey and Friends parking lot. This would thin out the sometimes miserable crush of people exiting the park after the fireworks.

I wouldn't have it be an additional park entrance though--except for people staying at the Frontierland Hotel--because the wonderful trip down Main Street should be the way most guests enter. Hotel guests could still have Walt's red carpet entrance experience by passing through a western/Virginia City-like Main Street.

I also wrote a shorter version of this under the comments to Al Lutz's Oct. 19 forum.
    Forgive the dupe.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-19-2010 at 12:05 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: Frontierland option

It's a nice idea, I know a few others have suggested similar ideas, but I don't think there is enough space. DL really needs all the land it can get for future park expansion.

• former CM

Dear JCruise86:

We love all of your ideas and we'll break ground on them in December of this year! Please send us your real name and address; we'd like to send you a certificate good for a complimentary churro.

See ya real soon!
    Bob Iger,
    Steve Jobs,
    John Lasseter,
    Thomas Staggs,
    and George Kalogridis

(In voice of Martin Short's Ed Grimley: Oh yeah, like that could happen!)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-19-2010 at 12:13 PM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

That reminds me....whatever happened to the Conestoga Hotel? Was it ripped out for the Parking Structure?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    It's a nice idea, I know a few others have suggested similar ideas, but I don't think there is enough space. DL really needs all the land it can get for future park expansion.
    Thanks, Uncle Bob.

An entrance could be between the Pooh exit and the candy shop where the waterfalls now are--isn't there there is a lot of backstage land back there. Critter Country has a wilderness theme so the transition wouldn't be too jarring.

Or an entrance could lead through what is now the BBQ/petting zoo area.

When I worked at Disneyland, everyone seemed to like to work on the West side of the park. It was seen as more laid back with its trees and without the (thankfully now gone) Autopia and Submarine fumes. As Disneyland improves it is likely to attract greater crowds, so there will be more need for nature-themed/Western serenity.

• Disney Fan & Musician

No, there's much better use of that space.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

this type of an idea is already floating around. Even going back to when they were thinking of having a Boutique ToT hotel. The idea is somewhat interesting, but I don't think it's practical, when considering the space it would take, not to mention parking considerations for guests of the hotel and all the other needs. Then consider that this location would be cut off from all of DTD and from DCA. Nothing would be within walking distance, except the Frontierland Back door. The space would much be better used to expand the capacity of DL.

• Disneyland's the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Dear JCruise86:

We love all of your ideas and we'll break ground on them in December of this year! Please send us your real name and address; we'd like to send you a certificate good for a complimentary churro.

See ya real soon!
    Bob Iger,
    Steve Jobs,
    John Lasseter,
    Thomas Staggs,
    and George Kalogridis

(In voice of Martin Short's Ed Grimley: Oh yeah, like that could happen!)
    That's really funny! Hahaha!
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I think it's a nice idea, but, as Uncle Bob said, DL will need all the land it can get for Park Expansion; and as Matterhorn J said, No, there's much better use of that space. My say in this, I think the land can be better used for what DL and WDI have up their sleeves. (though, don't abandon that Idea, I think that could be useful in ether HKDL or the upcoming Shanghai Disneyland!)

Timekeeper

• former CM

but, Tom, the free churro isn't all, you may stay for one nt. at a 15% discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    . . . this location would be cut off from all of DTD and from DCA. Nothing would be within walking distance, except the Frontierland Back door. . .
    Good point, Al, but we always walk from the Mickey & Friends parking to the parks and that's a slightly greater distance than this hotel would be to Downtown Disney and DCA. The N/S road (Disneyland Way? Disneyland Drive?)
    --that Mickey & Friends and the Disneyland Hotel are both on--
    is a nice walk, and of course there could be shuttles. Just look at how far apart everything at Walt Disney World is.

I just looked at an aerial photo of the Disneyland Resort
    (Google satellite maps are an extraordinary invention!)
    to see if there is room for a Hotel Cheyenne and for park expansion.
    As the roads are now, no, there isn't room.
    But
    there is a lot of barely used space
    to the west of Disneyland Drive
    in-between Mickey & Friends and the Disneyland Hotels.
    Currently it is just used for street-level only parking lots.
    Disneyland Way could could swing out much further west to make room for a hotel which could have a park entrance in Critter Country or at the Big Thunder Ranch/Petting zoo area and continue toward the Disneyland Hotel.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-19-2010 at 09:10 PM.

• former CM

Update: They went with hip-hop Mickey rather than this hotel.
    I personally don't see any relationship between the two.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-29-2010 at 07:16 PM.