Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• (Not a) New User

Disneyland Haunt!

I attended the Behind-the-Screams tour at Knotts a few weeks ago. Everyone in my family agreed we are so doing it next year as well if they're going to repeat the event. Anyway, going to this event gave me an idea- instead of having a MHP sort of event, how about they make mazes based off of Disney Villains and rides. This event would be ticketed separately. Mazes would include:

*Pirates of the Carribean maze- on TSI, the maze would go throughout the Pirate's Den, parts od Smuggler's Cove, and Dead Man's Grotto. Pirates would be hidden throughout the caves, digging for treasure in the shadows and then would appear out of nowhere and scare people.

*Miner's Revenge- located in Big Thunder Ranch, the ghosts of miners are still trapped in the old mine, and now you are, too!

*Alien Encounter: The Ride- An overlay for BLAB. Sort of like the MIB ride at Universal Orlando, but more futuristic. You're stuck on a planet full of brain-sucking aliens. Your only option is to fight your way out.

*Castle Walkthrough- and updated, high-tech, scarier version of the SBCWT. Maleficent is more prevalent in this version. Some of Maleficent's goons will be walking around the castle to scare people.

There would be, of course, scare zones as well.

*Main Street Zone- Main street is completely covered with fog. You can't even see the castle. Monsters and Disney Villains will be hiding in the mist to scare you.

*Frontierland Zone- Scarecrows and Miners walk around in the dark to pop out and surprise you.

*Tomorrowland Zone- Aliens will scare you.

Just some ideas. What do you think?

Discuss!

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Disneyland Haunt!

They could do a lot with theming the park to be scarier or have walk-throughs, a la Hong Kong Disneyland, but don't expect ever to see monsters and actors there jumping out or startling guests at a stateside Disney park. My own likes and desires apart, as well as them being able to do a top-notch event if they wanted, this simply will not happen on Disney property, especially Disneyland. Scares and their perceived marketing audience don't mix.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

15 minutes from the park that started it all

I mean I love disney, and the haunts at knotts and stuff like that..
    But even if we want it, disney would never do that
    although I am not a big fan of it, its just not their style and marketing position
    They're more for hte kids, not the teens and adults in this matter.

• (Not a) New User

That's why this would be a separately-ticketed event. If would happen after the park closes. It would run late and there would be warnings before you buy that the event is recommended for people 13+. I mean, MHP is oriented more towards kids, right? At least, that's how I felt when I went to the Trick or Treat On the Street thing at DCA a few years ago. Why not let older kids and adults have their fun?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    That's why this would be a separately-ticketed event. If would happen after the park closes. It would run late and there would be warnings before you buy that the event is recommended for people 13+. I mean, MHP is oriented more towards kids, right? At least, that's how I felt when I went to the Trick or Treat On the Street thing at DCA a few years ago. Why not let older kids and adults have their fun?
    Yes, but even with separate tickets, Disney is run these days by a marketing type approach geared towards children. The name is synonymous with family entertainment. I agree they could do a lot with making a "scarier" event but simply put, no way would current management stateside associate the Disneyland brand with a haunt event featuring scaring the guests deliberately. Simply won't happen, even though I'd like to see something more in that direction.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Halloween 2011

Even with a separate ticket, some of your suggestions (specifically the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters one) would impact daytime operations at the park since an attraction can't be repurposed that quickly for a nighttime event. So a child-friendly ride would definitely not be child-friendly during the day, not be themed to the child-friendly character as described in all park literature, or not be open at all - impacting overall capacity at the park.

I mean, think about your tour at Knotts: the haunts physically intrude upon the park as a whole and impact the operations of some of the attractions. Or if you want to keep it Disney, think about ElecTRONica at DCA with its ugly black dance floors, bars, and overhead beams intruding upon the Hollywood Backlot experience.

• The Study of Wumbo

It is my understanding that Disneyland accepts that they aren't going to compete with Knott's and Halloween Horror Nights so they specifically go after families and young children for their Halloween festivities. At the scariest, you'll see Ghost Galaxy.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• ITS A TRAP

I was thinking more of using DCA instead, but this is just for fun because disney would never actually do it but.

I know its a old map but

mazes:
    1. Black Dahlia
    2. Arachnophobia
    3. Indiana Jones: Temple of DOOM
    4. Camp Hatchet
    5. Bozo's Funhouse

scarezones: (got lazy and just did what hhn did this year with the "z" at the end)
    1. Creaturez
    2. Horrorwood
    3. Creepy Crawlerz
    4. The Woodz
    5. Circuz
    6. The gauntlet
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

I have and always will be against having scary Halloween events in Disneyland? Why? If someone wants scary, they should go to HHN or Knotts. Disneyland should tackle the kids/family market.

Disneyland is close to meeting my Halloween needs. All they need is some more decorations in the Hub/Main Street area, and a lavish parade. Eliminate the Halloween Party and make the fireworks for all and Disneyland has a great Halloween event. I don't want any more Halloween overlays as I still think Disneyland during Halloween should still be Disneyland.

• no flash photography...

Halloween is not all monsters and scary to everyone. I think disney is doing it the right way. There are enough scary monster mazes in southern California to satisfy those who want it.

• "The Musical Quil"

I attended the Behind-the-Screams tour at Knotts a few weeks ago. Everyone in my family agreed we are so doing it next year as well if they're going to repeat the event. Anyway, going to this event gave me an idea- instead of having a MHP sort of event, how about they make mazes based off of Disney Villains and rides. This event would be ticketed separately. Mazes would include:

*Pirates of the Carribean maze- on TSI, the maze would go throughout the Pirate's Den, parts od Smuggler's Cove, and Dead Man's Grotto. Pirates would be hidden throughout the caves, digging for treasure in the shadows and then would appear out of nowhere and scare people.

*Miner's Revenge- located in Big Thunder Ranch, the ghosts of miners are still trapped in the old mine, and now you are, too!

*Alien Encounter: The Ride- An overlay for BLAB. Sort of like the MIB ride at Universal Orlando, but more futuristic. You're stuck on a planet full of brain-sucking aliens. Your only option is to fight your way out.

*Castle Walkthrough- and updated, high-tech, scarier version of the SBCWT. Maleficent is more prevalent in this version. Some of Maleficent's goons will be walking around the castle to scare people.

There would be, of course, scare zones as well.

*Main Street Zone- Main street is completely covered with fog. You can't even see the castle. Monsters and Disney Villains will be hiding in the mist to scare you.

*Frontierland Zone- Scarecrows and Miners walk around in the dark to pop out and surprise you.

*Tomorrowland Zone- Aliens will scare you.

Just some ideas. What do you think?

Discuss!

I LOVE your ideas!

http://www.thehauntingaz.com/

THIS haunt in Arizona has several mazes based on Disney Attractions/Movies. They were originally from the Rocky Point Haunted House in Utah. They were sold and put back together to their original glory in Arizona after the Utah show retired.

I'd love to see Disney get there hands on these, repurpous them to fit they're needs to do what you've described.

OR contact their original creator to produce an entirely NEW haunt(s) for their parks. Their original creator is the contractor responsible for the Haunted Hotel in DLHK, so I know they've done this before.

- Just sayin'
    Last edited by 10/6; 11-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Functional & Decorative

They all sound like fun idea for the teens and adults, but it is completely at odds with the idea of Disney as a family park. I have to agree that there are plenty of other places to go for such things. Even though I personally have never been to MNSSH or whatever it's called, it's probably the way to go for families.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Who doesn't love NAPs?

Did anyone go to the Villain's Victory Party??? I need to do that trip report, but I've been so busy recently! Anywho, they had the haunted voyage of the Mark Twain, which was pretty darn cool IMHO, but far from scary.

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

i posted my ideas about what Disney could do for Halloween awhile back, and if you don't mind i would like to share them again.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking
    according to Wikipedia, Knott's Halloween Haunt is responsible for producing half of the theme park's revenue!!!! And universal also makes a tidy sum off there overlays! Disney needs to get serious about Halloween, because even if the ride overlays are a fun change of pace, the park dos truly pale when compared to other parks when it comes to this.
    I say the best way for Disney to become a REAL competitor, in regards to Halloween overlays, could be done in 2 simple steps.
    1. Put some live entertainment out in the park. Add some magic shows on to the streets of all the different lands. You could have a illusionist (like harry houdini) on Main Street, a witch doctor in adventure land, a voodoo magician in new Orleans, a sorcerer in fantasy land, you get the idea! Also, how about this. Unannounced, surprise shows where actors would interact with special effects and the audience. Like here is an example. You’re walking in front of the haunted mansion, when you see some people in the mansions yard in robes who are chanting, then a gust of wind picks up, the gates of the mansion begin to violently slam upon and shut, and then finally a loud bang! A poof of smoke and the robe wearing actors are gone.
    2. Disney can’t do mazes, right, not scary enough, right? What if the force of the maze was deep storytelling, instead of cheap scares? As you progress deeper into the maze, you learn more about the story, and you want to go forward, to find out what happens to the characters? Yep, Disney mazes would be like the great short horror stories, using suspense compelling negative to draw people in.

Well thank you for reading my ideas/rant. If i don't make much sense, sorry about that.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

Disneyland Haunt!

I have had some ideas myself about DLR throwing a halloween event like this, but instead of DL I would have it at DCA, and would keep Mickey's halloween party at DL. I would have them happen on different nights so there was always one park open late for general admissions, while another was having a halloween event.

My Haunt at DCA though wouldn't be about gore and deaths, but showcasing Disney's darkest villains in scare zones and mazes. I would make sunshine plaza Nightmare Land after the Nightmare Before Christmas, where Jack would invite to see what he has created in DCA where all his friends (the villains) have come and gather to celebrate Halloween. This area would be a scare zone, but not so heavy on the scares, but creating a fun halloween environment from the movie. This would also allow the event to have a central theme uniting the different villains throughout the park. I would also like to change it up every year, and would want to do monster's inc one year where the theme would be sunshine plaza is Monster Inc's world and from there you would walk through "doors" into the lands/scare zones and into the mazes.

Some of the maze ideas I have had that would play off of disney movies and be gore free with immersive environments our...
    Dragon Run: A wall to Wall tour of Maleficent's castle, with a fiery finally (Bucky makes a return!)
    Shark Bite: Bruce and his friends have been clean of fish so far, but no one said humans were off limits. (The sharks wouldn't eat anyone, just chase people around like they did Dory and Merlon)
    Dark Forest: A maze showcasing classic villains in an outdoor setting by Grizzly Peak.
    Elephants on Parade: Wonder around through a fun house of the mad, as the pink elephants try to get you. (The fun house Paradise Pier has never had)

These are just a few of the ideas I have had about this kind of event that I hope some day happens for DCA, and as you can see, these mazes are all about taking people to these worlds from the movies, and thrilling theme. Not grossing them out with blood and guts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast