Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

Quote Originally Posted by M3wThr33 View Post
    Took a while to read.

Things to consider:
    Mr. Toad's at WDW was wildly different and actually had two different tracks so it was like two rides.
    Snow White is short because it was done from HER perspective, like a lot of the original Fantasyland rides. Yeah, you can tell that doesn't make sense.
    Matterhorn has no elves, but the snowman's name is Harold.

And sadly, you got the crappy fireworks show. Remember...Dreams Come True is the better one.
    I don't have much time right now so I will hold off on responding to the other comments until tomorrow, but I wanted to address the 'elves' thing now since I've had another message about this.

I didn't really think there were elves on the Matterhorn. It was an (obviously poor) attempt at humor. Can't win 'em all!

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    I don't have much time right now so I will hold off on responding to the other comments until tomorrow, but I wanted to address the 'elves' thing now since I've had another message about this.

I didn't really think there were elves on the Matterhorn. It was an (obviously poor) attempt at humor. Can't win 'em all!
    I half figured it was a joke, but part of me just imagined you on Matterhorn, looking out, despondent, not seeing any tiny elven animatronics.

I was skeptical to read this being your "home park" is WDW and there is always some sort of "my horse is bigger than your horse" rivalry. I literally read every word and looked at every picture and I am glad I did so. I was pleasantly surprised to see what you loved about DLR are some of this things I love most. I'll admit at some parts I felt my blood boil (especially in regards to Sleeping Beauty Castle), but I can also see your side. At one point you said you like ___ ride and couldn't explain why. Perhaps its Walt's magic left behind since his passing. Seeing as how he never stepped foot in a completed WDW it would only make sense to me

Bottom line: Pics are spectacular and I am glad you enjoyed yourself.
    I walked with you once upon a dream...

I read the whole thing too. Very fascinating. Of course, I just spent the last hour at work getting nothing done!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

great report!!

I do wanna say that reading some of the comments, it's almost as if you took many of the online chatter about disneyland and multiplied them by 10. And by that I mean, you thought Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was terrible and couldn't fathom how so many purists love it. A lot of the things in Disneyland have been since 1955 and I think that holds a lot of weight with people. I'm not saying things should never be updated, but certain things are just how they are. You found Toad to be embarrassingly bad and I think for disneylanders... that's just how it is and always was.

Same with the castle. It is puny compared to Florida but you know, that's just how it is. Would it be better if it was bigger? Sure but.. it wouldn't serve any purpose than to silence the WDW veterans. It would STILL be smaller than florida's so there really is no point in taking away the most iconic castle of the Disney company. It was the first and there's importance in remembering it that way. Bash on Hong Kong all you want though; that was a dumb move.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves overall!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Great read and a-mazing pictures! One of the best trip reports I've read. I was at too skeptical but you seem to love and appreciate the DLR and don't lean at all towards a biased hater. You're probably one of the most objective voices I've ever heard comparing the two resorts and on your perspective of both DL and DCA. Of course a lot of us here including myself will always defend our little castle and nostalgic, simple rides of FL but everything you said is true. Toad's has always been IMO one of the WORSE executed rides in the resort(it honestly is mostly cardboard cut outs) but I still love it, nostalgia. You're more outside perspective of the DLR is so refreshing. Great to hear how good the good we have is, how some things many here and elsewhere love to hate(Nemo, Monsters ride, etc...) are actually pretty great, and where the resorts faults are. I would love to see another trip report from you in 2012 once we have Carsland, RSR, BVS, and everything else.

• Minion

Fabulous trip report. I know that took a lot of time to do, so thank you for sharing it with us.

I go to Disneyland at least once a month and have probably 10,000 photos but it still amazes me how someone with your photographic ability can capture images that I haven't even imagined yet, on your first try. Damn you! Totally wonderful photos.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Great Great trip report! Agreed on some things but not on others. Totally agreed on that alot of purists hold nostalgia to things! For example they'll hate something new because it will get rid of an attraction they grew up with even though its in bad condition!

And about the Castle, yes it is small.. but I think it fits. If it were any taller it would make the matterhorn look small. And hey to my little sister she still thinks its huge and thinks WDW and DL are "both big n pretty!" (her words shes 5) :]

But last! Awesome pics! You need to do trip reports in the WDW forums when you go and you need to visit disneyland during christmas once in your life!

once we have Carsland, RSR, BVS, and everything else.[/QUOTE]

What's rsr and bvs?

• Metal Head loves Disney

I promise I will read the report, it's just that the picture are to amazing to pass up drooling over. Thanks for sharing the pictures, you guys are really having me considering getting into photography.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

Thank you for posting this. I live in Henderson NV and have been visiting Disneyland 4 times a year for more than a decade, but your trip report felt like I was seeing the park for the first time, as you were. I looked at some of those beautiful photos and realized that I need to stop and take a longer look around at some of the wonderful sights that I have started to take for granted. I'm going back in a couple of weeks and will definitely be taking it all in with more appreciation.

P.S. Sarah is gorgeous.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by DisguyZ View Post
    once we have Carsland, RSR, BVS, and everything else.
    What's rsr and bvs?[/QUOTE]

Radiator Spring Racers and Buena Vista Street respectively.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

That was an amazing, well thought out and well written report. The pictures are outstanding.

I have grown up with Disneyland (literally having first gone at age 7 in 1955). I've been to WDW twice, once in 1991 and then more recently the Spring of 2009. I have to say I agree with almost everything you have to say in comparing the two places. But it is like comparing apples and oranges. I do like our little castle and the smallness of our Park. Then to see the greatness of Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom takes your breath away. So for me there is a place for both.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the difference in the guests at the parks. I don't like saying this because it bashes us out here, but I found the guests in WDW is be kinder and more polite overall. I chalked that up to the fact that more tourists visit WDW whereas more locals come to the Disneyland Resort. Being around kids like you describe while waiting for World of Color just irritates me no end. Being around families where the parents do absolutely nothing to discipline their children, etc. is a real pet peeve of mine.

Regarding Magical fireworks vs. Remember Dreams Come True - I love them both. Yes, Magical is shorter and maybe not as flamboyant as Remember but when Dumbo flies I choke up every time. The "parade" - that show stop thing can not leave soon enough for me!

Well, I could go on and on over each of your points but then my reply would be as long as your report

Thank you again for a very enjoyable report and thank you for all the effort that you put into it.

Reports don't get any better.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Amazing photos and great report.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast