Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• wishing upon a star :)

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

This is probably one of my top 3 trip reports I have ever read. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into making this. I enjoyed all of your commentary, and liked hearing from a first timer (especially one whose home park is WDW). Not to mention, the photos...they were stunning!! I also liked hearing your opinions. They weren't too bold, IMO. I thought that they were well delivered. I'm definitely going to check out your previous trip reports and can't wait for future ones! (also, you two are absolutely adorable!)

• WDW CP Spring 2013

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

Lovely trip report and GREAT writing voice. Enjoyable to read.

• Former Epcot CM

What an incredible trip report. I've been going to WDW for the past eleven years, and for the first time next July will be visiting DL. I expect many of my own sentiments will echo your own.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Ah the great Castle debate...

Growing up in Michigan I spent a lot of family vacations at WDW, California was a far more expensive flight. I remember the first time seeing the Castle. I was of course in awe partly because my parents tricked me. We woke up had breakfast and I asked if we were in the Magic Kingdom yet and my dad said we still had to take the Monorail over. Well after eating I walked around the corner down on Main Street and seen the Castle for the first time.

When I moved to SoCal is was a long time before I visited DL. I took advantage of the free bday ticket. When I arrived and seen the Castle my first thought was, "that's it! really? that little thing?" After finding out that the Castle had a walk through it made a little more unique.

Great report! Your pictures are some of the best and i look forward to any you take.

wow amazing photos.
    i just got my fisheye can't wait to bring it to the park!

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by 006TOE View Post
    Awesome report dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Awesome trip report!

Awesome pics!

Read every word haha
    Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Wow, wonderful report! It's long, but worth reading.

The pictures are well done and it feels like you are there.
    Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    ok i tried reading every word, but then i couldn't and looking through the pics was hard enough for me to keep my attention to (i mean that in the best way possible)

but you took some really really really really great pictures!!!
    Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky B View Post
    I loved your trip report! I know we all have our favorites, but it is really hard to compare WDW with DL. My son and I like DL because it is closer to get to, and because we can do more in a short trip. We loved our trip to WDW, but you really need to spend a lot more days to enjoy it and the cost can add up. To us DL is quaint and comfortable and WDW is sometimes a little overwhelming with all the time to get from place to place. Again, I loved your report and your commentary (and your photos )!
    Totally understandable in your preference. Honestly, I think a lot comes down to what you experience first (or most). I’m sure almost everyone has their home resort (complex); the one they visit most frequently. Although I wrote that I loved both, WDW will always be “home” to me, just because I have so many memories there. I’m used to it, so rather than it seeming too large, DLR seems a little small (I hope that makes sense). I could see how the converse would be true if you’re used to DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1 View Post
    Probably one of the most essential trip reports I've ever read. Incredible photos to boot. Very interesting perspectives on the parks, and I do hope you get to return again someday so we get another report like this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    great report! thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Thanks, glad you both enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLizzy View Post
    WOW! This was probably the most extensive and thoughtful trip report I have ever read. Great job, think I'll take a look at your previous TRs as well, and your flickr!
    For some reason, I forgot to include our “Disney-moon” (honeymoon) report in the list. It’s, in my opinion, easily the best one.

The Brickers' Disneymoon Report - WDWMAGIC.COM Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CassieMouse View Post
    I don't usually comment since anything I would say has usually already been said but I just have to say how much I love this trip report. Once you started talking about comparing DL and WDW I immediately though, "oh god, here we go...". But you brought up very good points and you compared without getting snarky. As someone who has never been to WDW its helpful to hear relatively objective comparisons so thank you =)

Also those pictures are gorgeous. I laughed when you posted the links to the online stores and saying how people always comment on your wife's clothes because going through the pictures I kept thinking about how cute her dresses were.
    I avoid crossing that fine line into complaining, but it was difficult. I’m sure some people will think that I was overly critical of one park or another, or that I wasn’t objective. I tried to stay objective (or as objective as humanly possible), though. It doesn’t help that I have opinions on virtually everything, either.

Whenever I write these, I always get a number of replies/private messages inquiring about her dresses. Oddly, never anything about my clothes. I like to tell myself that men just wouldn’t ask such questions, but I suppose there’s the very real possibility that I dress poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    One of the best trip report I have seen so far. There were too much reading to go through. So, I essentially look at all the wonderful pictures you took with your professional camera. If I have time, I will come back and read through it.

THOSE ARE EXCELLENT PICTURES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by M3wThr33 View Post
    Took a while to read.

Things to consider:
    Mr. Toad's at WDW was wildly different and actually had two different tracks so it was like two rides.
    Snow White is short because it was done from HER perspective, like a lot of the original Fantasyland rides. Yeah, you can tell that doesn't make sense.
    Matterhorn has no elves, but the snowman's name is Harold.

And sadly, you got the crappy fireworks show. Remember...Dreams Come True is the better one.
    I’ve heard that about Mr. Toad at WDW. I guess I can see it having charm and maybe being cool in that it features an obscure character, but I still don’t see the appeal. I guess one man’s ‘cut-out crap’ can be another man’s classic Fantasyland dark ride. I know a lot of people love it, so like I said previously, perhaps I’m just missing it.

I’ve heard that many times about Remember...Dreams Come True. If I thought Magical was far superior to Wishes!, I can only imagine what I’d think of Remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Very awesome! You two are adorable!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by M3wThr33 View Post
    I half figured it was a joke, but part of me just imagined you on Matterhorn, looking out, despondent, not seeing any tiny elven animatronics.
    Animatronics?! I “thought” these were some bona-fide elves of the living variety!

What you stated is funny to picture, though!

Quote Originally Posted by PiratePrnsess View Post
    I was skeptical to read this being your "home park" is WDW and there is always some sort of "my horse is bigger than your horse" rivalry. I literally read every word and looked at every picture and I am glad I did so. I was pleasantly surprised to see what you loved about DLR are some of this things I love most. I'll admit at some parts I felt my blood boil (especially in regards to Sleeping Beauty Castle), but I can also see your side. At one point you said you like ___ ride and couldn't explain why. Perhaps its Walt's magic left behind since his passing. Seeing as how he never stepped foot in a completed WDW it would only make sense to me

Bottom line: Pics are spectacular and I am glad you enjoyed yourself.
    I know the Castle thing probably upset some people. Hopefully I presented my points in a tactful manner. In retrospect, I have begun to see the charm to Sleeping Beauty Castle. It still can’t hold a candle to Cinderella Castle for me, but I no longer dislike it. The scale with the Matterhorn argument is somewhat persuasive, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by squeemu View Post
    I read the whole thing too. Very fascinating. Of course, I just spent the last hour at work getting nothing done!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    great report!!

I do wanna say that reading some of the comments, it's almost as if you took many of the online chatter about disneyland and multiplied them by 10. And by that I mean, you thought Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was terrible and couldn't fathom how so many purists love it. A lot of the things in Disneyland have been since 1955 and I think that holds a lot of weight with people. I'm not saying things should never be updated, but certain things are just how they are. You found Toad to be embarrassingly bad and I think for disneylanders... that's just how it is and always was.

Same with the castle. It is puny compared to Florida but you know, that's just how it is. Would it be better if it was bigger? Sure but.. it wouldn't serve any purpose than to silence the WDW veterans. It would STILL be smaller than florida's so there really is no point in taking away the most iconic castle of the Disney company. It was the first and there's importance in remembering it that way. Bash on Hong Kong all you want though; that was a dumb move.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves overall!
    I understand that a lot of what I said is probably just rehashing a lot of discussion that’s already out there. I figure people can gloss over that if they don’t like it. Is there debate over Mr. Toad? I thought that, among the fan community at least, was pretty much universally loved? I only really follow WDW chatter (and least, up until recently), and I’ve never heard anything but love for Toad.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Great read and a-mazing pictures! One of the best trip reports I've read. I was at too skeptical but you seem to love and appreciate the DLR and don't lean at all towards a biased hater. You're probably one of the most objective voices I've ever heard comparing the two resorts and on your perspective of both DL and DCA. Of course a lot of us here including myself will always defend our little castle and nostalgic, simple rides of FL but everything you said is true. Toad's has always been IMO one of the WORSE executed rides in the resort(it honestly is mostly cardboard cut outs) but I still love it, nostalgia. You're more outside perspective of the DLR is so refreshing. Great to hear how good the good we have is, how some things many here and elsewhere love to hate(Nemo, Monsters ride, etc...) are actually pretty great, and where the resorts faults are. I would love to see another trip report from you in 2012 once we have Carsland, RSR, BVS, and everything else.
    Thanks for reading! We’re really looking forward to 2012, too. However, I’m thinking we’ll be back in Spring 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Fabulous trip report. I know that took a lot of time to do, so thank you for sharing it with us.

I go to Disneyland at least once a month and have probably 10,000 photos but it still amazes me how someone with your photographic ability can capture images that I haven't even imagined yet, on your first try. Damn you! Totally wonderful photos.
    Ha, thanks. I see your Flickr posts on pretty much a daily basis, and you’re definitely no slouch yourself. I am very envious of how frequently you’re able to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Great Great trip report! Agreed on some things but not on others. Totally agreed on that alot of purists hold nostalgia to things! For example they'll hate something new because it will get rid of an attraction they grew up with even though its in bad condition!

And about the Castle, yes it is small.. but I think it fits. If it were any taller it would make the matterhorn look small. And hey to my little sister she still thinks its huge and thinks WDW and DL are "both big n pretty!" (her words shes 5) :]

But last! Awesome pics! You need to do trip reports in the WDW forums when you go and you need to visit disneyland during christmas once in your life!
    Disneyland during Christmas is probably on the agenda for 2012. Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by rage View Post
    I promise I will read the report, it's just that the picture are to amazing to pass up drooling over. Thanks for sharing the pictures, you guys are really having me considering getting into photography.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mercury View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I live in Henderson NV and have been visiting Disneyland 4 times a year for more than a decade, but your trip report felt like I was seeing the park for the first time, as you were. I looked at some of those beautiful photos and realized that I need to stop and take a longer look around at some of the wonderful sights that I have started to take for granted. I'm going back in a couple of weeks and will definitely be taking it all in with more appreciation.

P.S. Sarah is gorgeous.
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    That was an amazing, well thought out and well written report. The pictures are outstanding.

I have grown up with Disneyland (literally having first gone at age 7 in 1955). I've been to WDW twice, once in 1991 and then more recently the Spring of 2009. I have to say I agree with almost everything you have to say in comparing the two places. But it is like comparing apples and oranges. I do like our little castle and the smallness of our Park. Then to see the greatness of Cinderella's Castle in the Magic Kingdom takes your breath away. So for me there is a place for both.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the difference in the guests at the parks. I don't like saying this because it bashes us out here, but I found the guests in WDW is be kinder and more polite overall. I chalked that up to the fact that more tourists visit WDW whereas more locals come to the Disneyland Resort. Being around kids like you describe while waiting for World of Color just irritates me no end. Being around families where the parents do absolutely nothing to discipline their children, etc. is a real pet peeve of mine.

Regarding Magical fireworks vs. Remember Dreams Come True - I love them both. Yes, Magical is shorter and maybe not as flamboyant as Remember but when Dumbo flies I choke up every time. The "parade" - that show stop thing can not leave soon enough for me!

Well, I could go on and on over each of your points but then my reply would be as long as your report

Thank you again for a very enjoyable report and thank you for all the effort that you put into it.
    I’m sure there are unruly guests at both parks. Having visited WDW during the height of the summer season for the past few years, I can tell you there are plenty of out-of-control kids, parents who don’t believe in any form of discipline, and generally a sense of entitlement that perplexes me. Seeing some of these people is indicative to me of a general decrease in accountability and personal responsibility in society as a whole, but we’re really getting beyond the scope of a trip report with comments of this nature. Overall, most guests do seem to be well mannered and respectful of others.

I also agree that there is a place for both WDW and DLR. Each offer something quite different. I think if I were to be local to one of the parks, it would be DLR (although it’d be nice if the local park had more nice table service restaurants) whereas I would rather vacation to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by dupton View Post
    Reports don't get any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Amazing photos and great report.
    Thanks!

Phew - I can’t say I expected this kind of a response. I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read, view, and/or comment! I will respond to the third and fourth pages of comments tonight or tomorrow!

Thumbs up Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

WoW great trip report!,,

your photos give me the sense that im re visiting the park as a child. the angels and lighting/effects are great!

your intelectual evaluations of the attractions were very stimulating and interesting.

not to mention the great time you two had.

Thanks!

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    OK now I'm really getting jealous of people taking pictures which are works of art. Very good pics, some too incredible.
    But...Mr. Toad is an opening day attraction. No fair criticizing it.
    And so true about the sorry parade you saw. I would not stop to see it even when I could.
    And...sorry for your wife's grief. My wife had a similiar experience, losing her sister then the next day, after we had promised our daughter that we would go to Disneyland, we did so. My wife had a good enough time but there was certainly difficult moments which memories opened up. So glad you had the courage to do the trip.
    The difficulty my wife (Sarah) had is one of the reasons we’ll likely head back soon. She thought it was a great place, but wants to experience it through “fresh eyes”.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktalesfan5555 View Post
    WOW it took me about 45 mins to go through your whole TR. with the combo of awesome commentary and AMAZING photos. it was that great took me forever just looking at the pics. No doubt that this is one of the best trip reports i have ever seen.

I'm suprised you guys actually liked DCA!!! in my opinion it's the worst DISNEY park i've been in. hopefully it gets better after the billion dollar makeover.

It sucks to know WOC diddn't live up to your expectations. At first i diddn't like it as much, but at the second time i was assigned in the BLUE section (closer to show) i was blown away on how awesome it is! that's why each time i try to get a BLUE ticket.

It also sucks to know that you guys encountered rude and vulgar people! From my experience people are more polite in WDW and TDR than in DLR. I have seen many atrocious things done by rude guest (most are probably locals) in DLR, some of which are just too graphic to mension here.

I agree with you. people shouldn't compare WDW with DLR. both are totally different experiences.
    I, too, wondered how our World of Color impressions would’ve been different had we been closer. It truly was a technically impressive show, but I think a lot of it was style over substance. I know it’s a pretty divisive topic, though. In any case, Disney is having no problems ‘selling out’ the shows, so it has definitely been a commercial success!

I think part of the reason I was so impressed with DCA is that my expectations were incredibly low based on the tidbits I had heard. Plus, I’m sure it’s already improved quite a bit since 2001. Almost every new park not based on Tokyo has opened with issues (most being only “half day” parks)–I think that’s just the Disney MO now, but for some reason, DCA seems to receive more criticism than the others. EPCOT was probably the last non-Tokyo park that opened with a full-day worth of attractions on day 1, and even it wasn’t complete.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Very nice TR ~ FWIW, I felt the exact same way about the Monte Cristo (yuck).
    Thanks - good to know I’m not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    First off ... AMAZING pictures.

Secondly, I don't have time to read everything right now, but will come back and do so later.

The Castle: I grew up in SoCal, so Disneyland is the park I've visited most. I totally agree with you about the DL castle. After going to WDW the Disneyland one just doesn't have the same feeling.
    I think you’re the first long-time SoCal person I’ve heard say that (not liking Sleeping Beauty Castle)!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I took about 40 minutes but I read it! What a wonderful report!
    Thanks - glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Great trip report. I have only been to WDW once way back in the '80's, but want to go again. I've heard they added a few things since then... lol

It was quite interesting to hear your comments as a First-Timer. I agree with you on sitting at the Hungry Bear for a long time just enjoying the River and the boats going by. One of my favorite things.

I have been going to DL regularly since 1962 and am still charmed by it. As I have gotten older, I can see some of your points are valid - size of Castle, hecticness or randomness of some of the dark rides, etc - but, to us, that is part of what we know and love.

Your photography is incredible, especially your shots of the fireworks. I just have a point-n-shoot, so will never be able to capture images like those. As I was getting to your DCA part of the report, I was disappointed that none of the pictures were coming through. So, I refreshed, and there they were!

We are heading back to DL next Sunday for our anniversay (#17) and will be seeing World of Color for our first time.

And, congratulations on your marriage! Best wishes for your future!

Come back and see us again, you hear?
    Thanks for the kind words–I completely understand why the loyalists love some of the older attarctions (I have the same feelings for some WDW ones), but it seems some DLR fans try to spin or rationalize those attractions into being something high quality or superior to something that comes in and replaces the older attractions.

For example, I’d be disappointed if WDW’s Space Mountain were replaced by DLR’s, but I wouldn’t shout until I was blue in the face that the original was better. I’d, somewhat disappointedly, move on. It’s not just DLR fans who do this–WDW fans did the same complaining when Mr. Toad was replaced. I have an extremely time seeing how, objectively, Pooh isn’t better than Mr. Toad.

Congrats on the 17 years of marriage–hopefully on our 17th wedding anniversary, Sarah and I are heading to Disney, too!

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    My word, these are incredible pics! Hope you enjoyed your trip across the country to DL!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cadjoe321 View Post
    great trip report! I read through all of it Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful wife. I do want to say my husband and I are premium AP because we LUV LUV D-Land. And I do consider myself hardcore fans we go about average 10 times a month. Someday we would like to go to WDW and experiance a diffrent D-land.
    Ten times a month!? That’s awesome! You should make the trip out to WDW sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by esquivel View Post
    awesome trip!
    I really liked your pics, hope you don't mind if I keep one as my wallpaper. haha
    i knew the castle thing was gonna pop up, I like our castle it's the one I grew up with the one Walt saw the first castle before DIsney was even about theme parks it was there and if it where any bigger I think it would ruin the forced perspective of it all. btw Cinderella castle is beautiful but Tokyo and Paris kick it's booty. haha.
    Paris’ Castle does look pretty cool; possibly the best of them all. Someday we hope to see it in person!

Quote Originally Posted by ryosh808 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting such an awesome TR. I enjoyed reading your commentary as much as looking at your fantastic photos! I found many of your comments to be valid, especially the one about Tomorrowland being a disappointment. It really needs a makeover!

Being a frequent visitor to DL I would highly recommend that you plan your next trip to coincide with the Holiday season. You can then experience the Haunted Mansion and Small World Holiday overlays, which IMO are even better than the original...and don't forget that Cars Land opens in 2012!

I hope you stopped by Disneyland's City Hall to get a "My 1st Visit" button.
    Everytime we thought about the “1st Visit” buttons, we were near the back of the parks, and never got around to it. I’m not that disappointed that we didn’t, because even though we were first timers, it was nice ‘playing it cool’ and not letting anyone know we were newbies!

A Christmas trip is definitely on the agenda for sometime in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by ojeilatan View Post
    Your photography is astonishingly beautiful.

Thank you for a very insightful TR - especially for me, who grew up with DL and just recently went to WDW for the first time.

I am very sad you couldn't see the "Remember" fireworks. They don't have a Dumbo, but they make "Magical" seem kind of lame. And "Magical" is certainly not a lame fireworks show.
    Glad you enjoyed the TR! We really like Magical, but we still can’t wait to see Remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    I enjoyed your photos. You can definitely do more than I can with a camera (mine is a Fuji Fine Pix or something like that plus I use a Kodak video camera that has the spring out USB). I'd say your typing out of your report is also more thorough than most. You must have put a lot of time into it. My photo trip reports are always a little lazy since I'm posting as I return from the parks every night, but the video version (Youtube user KOUTESU) is usually worked on for a couple months and gets posted kind of late much like your trip report came out a few months later than your actual trip.

Hopefully this trip allowed you to feel you were someplace familiar yet felt you had new things to see and do.

You definitely need to see Disneyland at Christmas time. I'm glad you like it's a small world, especially after the refurbishment. You need to see it's a small world holiday as the entire attraction, music included, gets a full overlay. Main St sees snow during the fireworks finale and Sleeping Beauty Castle has a winter snow overlay with nightly snow shows.
    Glad you liked the photos–I will have to check out your video TR!

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Great, thoughtful trip report, Tom. Pictures were gorgeous as always! I wish I could address some points in your post, but there were so many of them I forgot, hehe.

Looking forward to your next trip report!
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by adoborocks View Post
    Spectacular photos! If you wouldn't mind, please share with us the equipment you are using.
    I used a Nikon D90 and a variety of lenses (you can find these on my Flickr profile).

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    great TR! was interesting hearing about Disneyland from the perspective from someone who's never been before. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous, especially the night time ones =D

Though to be honest, I felt a bit offended reading your comments on the park guests who fit the stereotypical SoCal appearance or who had tattoo sleeves not being "hardcore disney fans". Is it really fair to judge someone's appearance and assume because they look like that they musn't be a "hardcore fan"? I'm not a SoCal native, but I am from the SF/Oakland Bay Area and if one were to see me on the street I'd fit the typical "alternative/punk kid with multiplie piercings in the ears and dyed hair" look. But I absolutely love all things Disney! Unless somebody actually asked me about it, no one would ever really know judging by how I look how much of a Disney geek I really am. I've seen plenty of more "decent" (for the lack of a better word) looking people at the park who've acted less than stellar guests at the park. Granted I'm sure there were some who you saw who aren't "hardcore" but to say that a majority of them probably weren't isn't really fair /=

not trying to start an argument or anything - just giving another perspective from someone who sort of fits the look =)
    I knew this might come up; I tried to present my comments in such a way so it didn’t seem like I was just closeminded. My apologies if they still came across that way.

I don’t have a problem with the SoCal “look” (for lack of a better term), I do have a problem when that look contains vulgar tattoos that are exposed (naked women held by devils, etc.) or other things that aren’t family friendly. That bothers me.

In general, the look doesn’t bother me, although I do think that as a general matter, people with that look are less likely to be Disney fans than someone decked out with Mickey Crocs, a 55th Anniversary shirt, and some vintage MMC ears. That doesn’t mean there aren’t hardcore fans who look both ways, but I would bet a fair amount that, on average, the latter is more likely to be a hardcore Disneyland fan than the former. However, I saw a lot more individuals who looked like the former than the latter. My basic point was that, given that, I didn’t think there were nearly as many “hardcore” fans as I expected. Granted, as you point out, I’m going entirely off of stereotypes based on how people looked and behaved, but that was my general opinion. I really didn’t mean any offense by it! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
    This is probably one of my top 3 trip reports I have ever read. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into making this. I enjoyed all of your commentary, and liked hearing from a first timer (especially one whose home park is WDW). Not to mention, the photos...they were stunning!! I also liked hearing your opinions. They weren't too bold, IMO. I thought that they were well delivered. I'm definitely going to check out your previous trip reports and can't wait for future ones! (also, you two are absolutely adorable!)
    Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_James View Post
    Lovely trip report and GREAT writing voice. Enjoyable to read.
    Sounds like you either like Indiana Jones, or are from my neck of the woods. I hope for your sake it’s the former!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    What an incredible trip report. I've been going to WDW for the past eleven years, and for the first time next July will be visiting DL. I expect many of my own sentiments will echo your own.
    Hope you have a great time out West!

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    Ah the great Castle debate...

Growing up in Michigan I spent a lot of family vacations at WDW, California was a far more expensive flight. I remember the first time seeing the Castle. I was of course in awe partly because my parents tricked me. We woke up had breakfast and I asked if we were in the Magic Kingdom yet and my dad said we still had to take the Monorail over. Well after eating I walked around the corner down on Main Street and seen the Castle for the first time.

When I moved to SoCal is was a long time before I visited DL. I took advantage of the free bday ticket. When I arrived and seen the Castle my first thought was, "that's it! really? that little thing?" After finding out that the Castle had a walk through it made a little more unique.
    That’s really an awesome story! Likewise, I grew up in Michigan (Plainwell–near Kalamazoo), and the distance to Cali was too great (we always drove down to WDW), so my first time experiencing it was as an adult. I wonder how it would’ve been different for me had I experienced it as a child? Certainly probably more of a nostalgic connection for some rides.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Great report! Your pictures are some of the best and i look forward to any you take.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seanlawler View Post
    wow amazing photos.
    i just got my fisheye can't wait to bring it to the park!
    Have fun with that fish!

Quote Originally Posted by natedoggdeluxe View Post
    WoW great trip report!,,

your photos give me the sense that im re visiting the park as a child. the angels and lighting/effects are great!

your intelectual evaluations of the attractions were very stimulating and interesting.

not to mention the great time you two had.

Thanks!
    Glad you enjoyed reading it; thanks!

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

Excellent trip report and amazing photos! You make me want to take my camera and throw it into the rubbish bin.

Like some of the others that have responded, I am Disneyland frequent visitor. Usually going once, maybe twice a month (going today with my wife and son after work actually!). Your report made me feel like I was seeing everything for the first time. It was excellent. I always love hearing from new visitors.

Yes, the castle is small, but as someone else said, it would make the Matterhorn look small if they made the castle bigger. Also, can you imagine what it would be like going to Disneyland without a castle for the year or two it would take to redo it? That would be horrible, I can't even think about it.

As for the comments on your wife's clothing, I think one thing draws attention to her is that she is stunningly beautiful. You dress very similar to the way I dress on warm days at the park, a nice polo and shorts. Not much guys can do on warm days, but ladies in dresses and skirts have the advantage. I love cold days at Disneyland when I can wear a nice long sleeve shirt, my nice jeans and my peacoat. Love it.

Oh, and don't be offended, you're a good looking guy too. But I'm a hetero guy so I'm not sure how much that is worth.

Glad you enjoyed Disneyland. I have yet to visit WDW, but we're hoping for a trip around 2015 once the kid(s) is a bit older.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    I think you’re the first long-time SoCal person I’ve heard say that (not liking Sleeping Beauty Castle)!
    There are more of us than you'd think. Everybody in my family feels the same way. We just don't vocalize it.

My wife actually had tears in her eyes the first time she saw the MK castle. I'm not even kidding that during our first trip to WDW she took over 200 pictures of just the castle, from every possible angle and every possible light. Daytime, Nighttime, front, back, sides ... it was funny.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Castle envy?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I guess size really does matter....

Excellent trip report as always - I've enjoyed all of them immensly.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

Certainly the longest TR I've ever read and quite possibly the best. Thanks for all the time and work you obviously put into it. It was very enjoyable to read.
    Matthew

• wanderlust

EXCELLENT Trip Report! I enjoyed every minute of it. Fantastic pictures. I always love hearing the perspective of someone whos main park is WDW.
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast