Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

These pictures are phenomenal!!! Thank you so much for sharing them.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

Re: Disneyland From a Walt Disney World Fan's Perspective: Our First Disneyland Trip

WOW. As usual your trip reports are spectacular. And it is wonderful to see your photographic take on Disneyland. Great job, especially since it's a park you don't really know all the ins and outs of like WDW. Terrific angles and some stuff people don't always take pictures of.

I really thought you were very respectful with your comparisons. Of course the castle is always a debate. I believe it is just the right size for DISNEYLAND. Disneyland is a smaller, more condensed park and a larger castle might overwhelm it. One of the reasons I have heard that it is the size it is is that Walt didn't want the castle to be intimidating to his guests. Many castles were constructed specifically for that purpose and he wanted to avoid that. It's also the reason that the stores on main street are smaller than normal building using tricks to make them seem larger. Supposedly, psychologically it is comforting to the guest. Now, I have to say that, that has never really worked for me. Once I got a look at the huge grandure of WDW's castle, Disneyland's looked even smaller. BUT...I wouldn't change it. It's a lovely structure that I would argue is the ICON of Disney parks in general.

I was so happy to hear someone else say they were not fond of Mr. Toad. I never liked it, always thought it was poorly executed. And whenever I say it, I get blasted.

It was also refreshing to read your take on DCA. I think many people don't actually give the park a fair shake.

I really look forward to your take on DCA after it's makeover. And of course, your take on wdw's Fantasyland forest when it's complete!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    The camera actually came last week. It is absolutely wonderful; I am definitely glad I made the upgrade. From better high ISO to controls and features, it's a real gem. Even the dynamic range is better.

It was quite the ordeal for me to get it. I sold my D90 prior to the D7000 being announced (thank you, Nikon Rumors) to beat the market price-decrease on the D90. Then, I ordered the camera body-only, along with an Epson R1900 printer, from J&R photo as soon as the camera was announced. By purchasing both, I qualified for a $450 mail in rebate. Since the printer only cost $500 and was selling for ~$325 on eBay, this was a no brainer for me. However, the rebate required you mail it to Epson within 30 days of purchase. After numerous delays and BS from J&R, I found out that they were putting cameras out in their NY City store while people on the waiting list who called in orders or placed orders online were just sitting there. Not feeling this was right, and already frustrated after being PROMISED my camera would ship 2 weeks earlier, I canceled my order with J&R. I had nothing but terrible customer service from J&R--I would highly recommend avoiding them and doing business with B&H, which was a great company with which to deal.

That same day, I saw a post (coincidentally, by Nikon Rumors) on Twitter that B&H had the D7000 kit in stock. Worried that I otherwise wouldn't have a camera for our December trip, I placed the order for the kit and printer. The printer was actually cheaper at B&H, which will soften the blow of having to buy the kit lens (which I can't sell for as much as is apportioned to its "value" in the kit) and resell it. The printer looks absolutely awesome, but there's no way I'm keeping it. It's already up to $300 on eBay with 5 days left, and the mail in rebate is in the mail (no bids on the lens yet ), so I'm pretty pleased.

All told, the upgrade will cost me around $150-200 plus a decent amount of leg work. Not too bad, though, I figure.

I also ordered a new fisheye lens--the one I originally wanted, but wouldn't meter with the D90--that will enable me to sell my Tokina fisheye for a couple hundred dollar gain. After that, I suppose I'll break even.

I'm very jealous that you already have yours, although it sounds like you went through quite an ordeal to get one. I think I've had problems with J&R before as well. Beach Camera has also given me a hard time in terms of delivering when promised. Good thinking getting the deal on the printer and then selling it and selling the D90 before the prices came down. I never would have thought of doing either of those. I'll be selling my D80, which has been sitting in a box collecting dust, and a Sigma 70-300 which I haven't used since purchasing the Nikkor. I'm thinking I might go back to Adorama who bought my Canon G9 and my Nikon D60. It wasn't quite what I would have gotten on Ebay or Craigslist, but it was a lot less hassle and it was still decent cash that I could apply toward the D90. They've always been very dependable, so I'll probably stick with them.

In the mean time, I'm looking forward to seeing your shots from your upcoming trip to WDW. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them in the WDW forum.

WOW!! What a trip report!! Some truly amazing photography !!!

• A Weather Eye Open

THANK YOU! this is wonderful. I haven't had time to read it yet but I saw the pics on the weekend update and am loving them. Thanks for putting up the original sizes on flickr as well, because I think I need to print some of these to hang around my room!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Your trip report was amazing! I love the different perspective you brought to the table for those of us that frequent Disneyland.

The story I was told about the Snow White ride being an abrupt ending was that the original ending was too scary. Children ended up being too frightened and their parents complained. This led to the change in the ride and its abrupt ending.

I think your photography is amazing and I will have to start taking my tripod to Disneyland to get some great shots like yours. I also found your commentary well thought out and you had some good points.

I, personally, love the castle the size it is because to me, it fits there. If it was larger, the Matterhorn wouldn't seem as grand a mountain. It would throw off the scale of everything around it, IMO.

Your wife's dresses were awesome and I am totally going to check out those websites you linked at the end. I noticed her dresses while reading the TR and wondered how she could wander around the parks and be comfortable in such pretty dresses. I always end up wearing jeans when I go, but a dress would make for some great pictures!

I am going to go ahead and read your other trip reports. I can't wait!
    Thanks for sharing this with us!

love the report and the pictures are great.

not sure if it has been mentioned but on your next trip the one eyesore at Paradise Bay will be gone. The fountains are suppose to be submerged during the day and they had only been up for so long due to adjustments but lately they have been lowered most of the day until they need them for day shows or need to work on them.

• A Weather Eye Open

I loved reading this! My thoughts, as they come up:

1) The CASTLE! I so understand that you are used to the grandeur of Cinderella's Castle. It must be really awe inspiring. And in the original drawings for Disneyland, what will become Sleeping Beauty's cast is absolutely huge, with a big courtyard behind it containing all of Fantasyland. I think that would've been cool to execute, but the majority of things on those drawings didn't get built as drawn. I think the spirit remains, though, of that first vision. I really love Sleeping Beauty's Castle. I see it, especially when lit up and night, and just can't help sighing with happiness. I think it is perfectly in scale with the rest of the buildings and rides in Fantasyland, and one thing I really appreciate is that it's short enough and the trees are tall enough so that you CAN'T see the castle tops stilling up from most of the park, just from Fantasyland and Main Street, really. I love it's proportions as well, with it's bottom heavy triangular shape that is very pleasing to the eye, and the walls stretched out sideways over the moat. It may be smallish, but it still looks like a fantasy castle, and I think it's a gem of the park. As it's the first one ever built, extremely well known and recognized, and it's silhouette was THE logo for Disney movies for years and years and years, I don't think it could even be rebuilt to be larger or different. Anything larger in our dear little park would look out of place. And we certainly can't let it shrink the Matterhorn by comparison!

2) I am so happy to read about how much you enjoyed Indy and the Tiki Room! One "new", one classic, I think they are the jewels of Adventureland (along with Jungle Cruise, which you're right, is all about the skipper), and so immersive and well executed. I'm a little surprised at how much you loved Finding Nemo; I personally found it "pared down" compared to my wee memories and the photos of the original submarine voyage. I'll bet you would've been nuts for the level of detail and exciting plot back then too!

3) Small World I love, and you'd probably call me hardcore because I dislike the addition of the characters. I am pleased that they blend well into the ride and keep the style, but it's the whole idea about turning what was meant to be an exploration of the cultures of the world and the peaceful message that we are all not so very different into a kind of Where's Waldo game. You enjoy the fact that it's an easter egg hunt for characters, but I'm disappointed by how much that distracts people from the message of the ride! Of course, those of us who already understand the message of piece will be able to enjoy the characters without forgetting about it. My bigger problem with the remake by far was the addition of the USA room, not only because it destroyed the plot of the leaving the USA, cruising the world, and returning again, but because after all that argument about the principle of the thing, it was so POORLY executed. I love to ride the ride over and over and enjoy the remixed soundtrack and even the new characters, but I just ignore that room near the end.

4) Mr. Toad and the classic rides in general... their props and sets and lights are comparable to the old dark rides found all over the country found in some fairs... painted plywood flats and figurines, limited movement. But I think the spirit of Mr. Toad is very fun, and that is why people remember it so fondly. And especially with rides like Dumbo, the Carrousel, etc, they are gentle enough for very young kids to enjoy but still a little exciting for them, and those who are teens and adults appreciate them for not only childhood memories, but the knowledge that they are part of the oldest, iconic heart of the park and you are able to be part of history by riding them.

5) For Space Mountain, I think since the original is at the MK, we DLers can appreciate that ours is simply the repeat. I like it's current incarnation, but I never got to ride it before the very long refurb, and I've never ridden the one at WDW. For Big Thunder, well, the 2 in the US only opened a year apart, so I'm sure they were designed together, much like all our newer rides that we share between parks. Not surprising that they are so similar. It's a shame little things don't make your Buzz Lightyear ride quite as good as ours!

6) MATTERHORN! Elves? There are no elves on Matterhorn that I've ever heard of. The story is that you are a bobsledder. And you see cool things but get chased by a Harold the yeti/abominable snowman. Pretty basic. I like to ride at night when it's cold and pretend I'm really bobsledding. The CMs who seat you are supposed to ask if you'd like to ride together or separate, but if it was a long line, they may have been trying to pack a lot in. If they don't give you the option and put you together, you can just let them know that you prefer to ride separate. The secret to the bumps and not hurting your crotch and tailbone is to lift yourself up a little on the really big bumps by pressing against the floor with your feet. I wish I had someone you ride twosies with though, it's like you're really bobsledding then!

7) Tomorrowland is my least favorite land in the park. Even to your tourists' eyes, it's clear it's needs a LOT of work aesthetically, right? I'd love to see WDW's version so much!!! You'd be right to be complaining about it, and about Innoventions, etc, even if you had gotten stellar photos!

8) Monte Cristo! Well, now you know. I love it, but I love ANYTHING deep fried. I'd never recommend it to someone who doesn't eat much fried foods, though. It's a pretty classic, old fashioned kind of dish, which I think it's some of it's appeal, besides the fact that it's both sweet and savory. But no one will ostracize you for not liking it; it's certainly a seriously fried sandwich!

9) Don't give up on Jungle Cruise! It's true skippers are hit or miss, but there are some GREAT ones. My favorite kinds are the ones who go off-script, so I always write a hilarious one a compliment at City Hall, because if they go too far off they can get in trouble. I think the reason you get some skippers who aren't quite into it is because people who have just been hired by the park get trained on that ride and on Indy first if they are in Adventureland and Frontierland, so you might get some new people are are nervous or not well suited for it.

10) On Splash, did you sit in the first two seats? the 2nd to last seat is the one where you get the least wet, I think. That first drop will always get your pants and your feet if you're near the front. The water just "plops!" over the side of the log.

11) Celebrate! A Street Party got a LOT of negative feedback, from regulars and tourists alike. I regularly saw families or individuals who I knew were from out of state walk away from it in the middle, shaking their heads, asking "what the heck kind of parade was that, is that all it's gonna be, some stupid dance party?" etc. So you are not alone! And you'll be happy to know it's gone FOREVER now. After the Parade of Dreams, which was sooooo good, Celebrate was just cruddy. The dancers kind of grew on me, but I cannot WAIT for Soundsational, which seems to be heading in the same amazing direction as PoD!

12) DCA! I'm glad you liked it. I think there's plenty of fun stuff to do inside. It's not as jam packed as Disneyland, and a few attractions or restaurants are/were duds. It REALLY needed a makeover, as it's our only other park and the 2nd gate to the famous original. I agree that it will be stellar when the makeover is done!

13) Demographics. I think that the guests in the resort are split fairly evenly into 3 categories. Of course, the spread depends of the day, the season, blockouts, etc. But I see it as 1/3 tourists from all over the world, 1/3 APs or regular locals who are very casual visitors and enjoy a fun day in the park but might not be considered the "Disney" type otherwise, and 1/3 APs or regular locals and vacationers (ie lots from Nor Cal who come at least once a year) who LOVE the parks, and Disney in general, and are familiar with a good amount of Disney and park history.

14) World of Color: I'm on the same page as you. My expectations were set really high, from the concept art and all the preview stuff we got to see. I realize that there's a lot of NEW imagery for each scene created especially for the show, but the way it's connected and the lack of a connective thread makes it feel like it's only rearranged clips for a movie trailer. My least favorite part is the poppy cover of the theme song and the length of the Lion King and Villains segment.

Well, that was a long response! It took me hours to read and write this. But I really enjoyed hearing about what you loved and didn't love, with your fresh eyes!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Tom Bricker

Thanks for the kind words, guys (and the long and detailed response!). I don't have time for a point by point response as I'm in the final stages of preparing for a trip tomorrow, but I just wanted to drop in before leaving.

Oh - I didn't think there were elves in the Matterhorn. Feeble attempt at humor.

Anyway, thanks again. See you all in a couple weeks with some Christmas WDW photos!

• Tom Bricker

For those who might be subscribed to this thread (doubt anyone actually is, but who knows) and otherwise don't look at the WDW board but might be interested in our newest trip report (so many qualifiers that my target audience for this post is probably like one person - oh well), it's up here: The Brickers' Holi-Disney Christmas Vacation 2010 Report (D23 Event, Reunion, etc!)

I would be curious as to how many of the "Disneyland Uber Alles" crowd are native Californians for whom DL is their home park. I will not hide my affiliation--I am a born-and-bred Floridian who grew up going to WDW, and moved to SoCal several years ago. At the urging of my girlfriend, a DL homer, I have now visted DL a few times, including a visit just this week on New Year's Eve. On the whole, I was disappointed with the “original.” I’m not saying that one is superior to the other, but there are quite a few points that the seemingly fanatical Pro-DL crowd have left out:

(1) First of all, the comparison on this thread seems artificially restricted--the somewhat defensive-seeming Pro-DL crowd has arbitrarily restricted the discussion to just MK vs. DL. That’s like saying “Compare New York to London, but you can ONLY look at Central Park and Kensington Gardens.” The best part about WDW is that it not only has a park that is 90% identical to DL, but also has infinitely *more* attractions to it. Let’s face it--unless you are a total MouseHead fanboy who rushes out to buy every “limited release” Disney movie when it comes out, and still wears his original mouse ears that his parents bought him twenty years ago, you have to admit that even the “best” rides at the Disney parks are pretty tame as coasters go. Even most state fairs now have four or five rides that beat anything at *any* of the Disney parks for excitement/speed/thrills. Unless you’re (a) chaperoning small children, or (b) spending your whole time at DL trying to relive your own childhood by riding “Snow White’s Scary Adventure” and the Storyland Theme Boats five times each, there’s just not that much to do in the park itself. When you’re finished there, where do you go--California Adventure?? To the best of my knowledge, that’s the only theme park to be unfavorably compared to prison in a “Simpsons” episode. DL is two(-ish) undersized parks with an outdoor mall tacked on, all crammed into downtown Anaheim. WDW is almost literally an entire "world"--four theme parks, two water parks, two malls/entertainment districts, 17 hotels, four golf courses, over *25,000* acres (heck, it even has its own wedding chapel, for cryin’ out loud) far outside of the Orlando city limits. You could spend an entire week there and not exhaust the possibilities.

(2) Size Matters, Part 2 (or, “So that’s it?”). Even when comparing DL to MK, size matters. The first time I went to DL, after we had walked from one end to the other, my first words to my girlfriend were, “So that’s it? That’s the *whole* park?” I had to walk back through “New Orleans Square” because I blinked twice the first time walking through, and missed it. For the fanboy MouseHeads who keep prattling on about the “experience,” how can you even pretend to immerse yourself in “Fantasyland” when you’re only 50 feet away from blaring rocketships and space guns? Even if you are deadset on reliving the whole second-childhood thing, it’s much easier to believe you’re really in “Adventureland” when you can stand in the middle of it and not see the borders of three other clashing “lands” right in front of you.

(3) Size Matters, Part 3 (aka “Intimate and Cozy”). While we're on the topic of size, the Pro-DL crowd try to spin the small size of DL by claiming they prefer its “intimate” and “cozy” nature. Please. Calling DL “intimate” and “cozy” is simply spin-doctorese for “cramped” and “crowded.” The times I have been to DL (granted, one was on New Year’s Eve--an experience which I will *never* repeat), I couldn’t believe the crowds, or the amount of time I spent going around/under/through/behind/between mobs of people. Even if you want to believe that DL is inherently better than MK (and ignore everything outside either park), at DL you’re constantly having to fight your way through masses of humanity; there are too many people cramped into too little space. Because DL is a day trip from most of Southern California’s 28.5 *million* people (and just two hours from the Mexican border) lots of folks have annual passes, and just show up whenever they feel like it--the park is packed all year long! By comparison, other than Orlando itself, the only population centers in the same state as WDW are Tampa (70 miles away), Jacksonville (160 miles), and Miami (240 miles). As such, you don’t get nearly as many mobs of people with annual passes crowding the park every pleasant weekend day. This holiday season, DL was so crowded that they actually *turned people away* at the gate, even if the people had pre-purchased tickets! The last time I was there, Indiana Jones and Space Mountain FastPasses sold out by *noon.* The non-FastPass lines for Space Mountain and Indiana Jones were never less than 90 minutes long, and both rides broke down at least twice (each) during the day. We got to the park about when it opened, and were there for about 15 hours--it would have taken 3 hours (1/5 of our time) just to wait in line for two rides! Call me crazy, but I’d prefer to be a little less “intimate” and “cozy” than that.

(4) Setting/Location. As far as weather goes, Anaheim definitely gets the nod over my native Florida, but I notice that none of the Pro-DL posters discuss the hassles of getting to/from DL. Driving to WDW is easy--no matter what day/time you arrive, you take the appropriate exit off of I-4, and you’re there at the enormous parking lot. DL, however, is a whole different matter--getting there is akin to planning the Normandy invasion. Want to come on a weekend? Too bad--as I said, 20+ million Southern California residents live within an hour of the park, and many of them have annual passes. OK, then, we’ll avoid the rush and go there on a weekday; let’s get there when the park opens. Oh, wait a minute--that’s smack in the middle of the four-hour long Southern California morning rush hour (from roughly 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for you out-of-staters). OK, so we’ll arrive early and beat the rush. Now, after waking up at 4 a.m. or so, you’re in downtown Anaheim at 5:30....with nothing to do for 3 and a half hours until the park opens, and asleep on your feet by the time the fireworks start at night! Well then, maybe we’ll arrive a little later, and try to beat the rush-hour traffic. Whoops! Now you have to deal with the fact that the DL parking lot just isn’t big enough to accommodate visitors, and you’ll get whisked back and forth on the back roads of downtown Anaheim, redirected to an auxiliary parking structure that Disney rents from a hotel, where you’ll join a parade of SUVs winding their way through trying to find a spot. (Ever try to get into/out of a sports stadium parking structure when the game lets out? Same experience.).

(5) “The original.” A recurring theme among the Pro-DL crowd is that DL is “the original,” a “classic” and as such has some unquantifiable “charm” that renders it superior to WDW. Has anyone here ever bought a house? There’s a reason that seeing a house advertised as “charming” or “a classic” raises red flags--those are generally code words for “broken-down,” “antiquated,” and “old.” For lack of a better word, I was struck by how ‘dated’ most of the attractions at DL seemed. In DL’s case, I would not call it the “original” so much as the “prototype.” The folks at Disney saw what was wrong with the “original” DL, and fixed the errors at WDW. It seems to me that the Pro-DL crowd are simply trying to imbue their homer bias with some mystical quality by pointing their noses in the air and saying “original.”

(6) Matterhorn, Schmatterhorn. One of the big Pro-DL points is “Well, DL has the Matterhorn.” I might be tempted to give DL points for this....if I was ever able to ride it. This aging relic has been broken down/not running EVERY time I’ve been there. This past visit, on New Year’s Eve, at least one of the two tracks was up and running, so I got in line. After spending about half an hour in the line winding around the “mountain,” I was within sight of the boarding platform...only to be informed that the ride had broken down, and that it would take 45 MORE minutes to fix it. My girlfriend and I left, came back several hours later...and had the *exact same* experience. After 30 minutes standing in line (again) with other footsore fellow travelers, we were (again) confronted by the mysterious voice over the intercom telling us that the ride had broken down (again) and that it would take another 45 minutes to fix it. End result: We spent an hour waiting in line for a ride that we never rode, and to date, I’ve still never ridden the Matterhorn, despite living in Southern California for 10 years. I refuse to give DL any “points” for this attraction if they can’t actually get the dilapidated fossil up and running on a regular basis. (Curiously enough, there is also no FastPass for the Matterhorn--it’s as if Disney wants you to endure some sacrifice/rite of passage just to prove your worthiness to ride it.)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The Matterhorn is ALWAYS up and running when I go. And 20 minute wait isn't much of a sacrifice. Try going on a day that isn't New Year's Eve.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by robb8888 View Post
    I would be curious as to how many of the "Disneyland Uber Alles" crowd are native Californians for whom DL is their home park. I will not hide my affiliation--I am a born-and-bred Floridian who grew up going to WDW, and moved to SoCal several years ago. At the urging of my girlfriend, a DL homer, I have now visted DL a few times, including a visit just this week on New Year's Eve. On the whole, I was disappointed with the “original.” I’m not saying that one is superior to the other, but there are quite a few points that the seemingly fanatical Pro-DL crowd have left out:

(1) First of all, the comparison on this thread seems artificially restricted--the somewhat defensive-seeming Pro-DL crowd has arbitrarily restricted the discussion to just MK vs. DL. That’s like saying “Compare New York to London, but you can ONLY look at Central Park and Kensington Gardens.” The best part about WDW is that it not only has a park that is 90% identical to DL, but also has infinitely *more* attractions to it. Let’s face it--unless you are a total MouseHead fanboy who rushes out to buy every “limited release” Disney movie when it comes out, and still wears his original mouse ears that his parents bought him twenty years ago, you have to admit that even the “best” rides at the Disney parks are pretty tame as coasters go. Even most state fairs now have four or five rides that beat anything at *any* of the Disney parks for excitement/speed/thrills. Unless you’re (a) chaperoning small children, or (b) spending your whole time at DL trying to relive your own childhood by riding “Snow White’s Scary Adventure” and the Storyland Theme Boats five times each, there’s just not that much to do in the park itself. When you’re finished there, where do you go--California Adventure?? To the best of my knowledge, that’s the only theme park to be unfavorably compared to prison in a “Simpsons” episode. DL is two(-ish) undersized parks with an outdoor mall tacked on, all crammed into downtown Anaheim. WDW is almost literally an entire "world"--four theme parks, two water parks, two malls/entertainment districts, 17 hotels, four golf courses, over *25,000* acres (heck, it even has its own wedding chapel, for cryin’ out loud) far outside of the Orlando city limits. You could spend an entire week there and not exhaust the possibilities.

(2) Size Matters, Part 2 (or, “So that’s it?”). Even when comparing DL to MK, size matters. The first time I went to DL, after we had walked from one end to the other, my first words to my girlfriend were, “So that’s it? That’s the *whole* park?” I had to walk back through “New Orleans Square” because I blinked twice the first time walking through, and missed it. For the fanboy MouseHeads who keep prattling on about the “experience,” how can you even pretend to immerse yourself in “Fantasyland” when you’re only 50 feet away from blaring rocketships and space guns? Even if you are deadset on reliving the whole second-childhood thing, it’s much easier to believe you’re really in “Adventureland” when you can stand in the middle of it and not see the borders of three other clashing “lands” right in front of you.

(3) Size Matters, Part 3 (aka “Intimate and Cozy”). While we're on the topic of size, the Pro-DL crowd try to spin the small size of DL by claiming they prefer its “intimate” and “cozy” nature. Please. Calling DL “intimate” and “cozy” is simply spin-doctorese for “cramped” and “crowded.” The times I have been to DL (granted, one was on New Year’s Eve--an experience which I will *never* repeat), I couldn’t believe the crowds, or the amount of time I spent going around/under/through/behind/between mobs of people. Even if you want to believe that DL is inherently better than MK (and ignore everything outside either park), at DL you’re constantly having to fight your way through masses of humanity; there are too many people cramped into too little space. Because DL is a day trip from most of Southern California’s 28.5 *million* people (and just two hours from the Mexican border) lots of folks have annual passes, and just show up whenever they feel like it--the park is packed all year long! By comparison, other than Orlando itself, the only population centers in the same state as WDW are Tampa (70 miles away), Jacksonville (160 miles), and Miami (240 miles). As such, you don’t get nearly as many mobs of people with annual passes crowding the park every pleasant weekend day. This holiday season, DL was so crowded that they actually *turned people away* at the gate, even if the people had pre-purchased tickets! The last time I was there, Indiana Jones and Space Mountain FastPasses sold out by *noon.* The non-FastPass lines for Space Mountain and Indiana Jones were never less than 90 minutes long, and both rides broke down at least twice (each) during the day. We got to the park about when it opened, and were there for about 15 hours--it would have taken 3 hours (1/5 of our time) just to wait in line for two rides! Call me crazy, but I’d prefer to be a little less “intimate” and “cozy” than that.

(4) Setting/Location. As far as weather goes, Anaheim definitely gets the nod over my native Florida, but I notice that none of the Pro-DL posters discuss the hassles of getting to/from DL. Driving to WDW is easy--no matter what day/time you arrive, you take the appropriate exit off of I-4, and you’re there at the enormous parking lot. DL, however, is a whole different matter--getting there is akin to planning the Normandy invasion. Want to come on a weekend? Too bad--as I said, 20+ million Southern California residents live within an hour of the park, and many of them have annual passes. OK, then, we’ll avoid the rush and go there on a weekday; let’s get there when the park opens. Oh, wait a minute--that’s smack in the middle of the four-hour long Southern California morning rush hour (from roughly 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for you out-of-staters). OK, so we’ll arrive early and beat the rush. Now, after waking up at 4 a.m. or so, you’re in downtown Anaheim at 5:30....with nothing to do for 3 and a half hours until the park opens, and asleep on your feet by the time the fireworks start at night! Well then, maybe we’ll arrive a little later, and try to beat the rush-hour traffic. Whoops! Now you have to deal with the fact that the DL parking lot just isn’t big enough to accommodate visitors, and you’ll get whisked back and forth on the back roads of downtown Anaheim, redirected to an auxiliary parking structure that Disney rents from a hotel, where you’ll join a parade of SUVs winding their way through trying to find a spot. (Ever try to get into/out of a sports stadium parking structure when the game lets out? Same experience.).

(5) “The original.” A recurring theme among the Pro-DL crowd is that DL is “the original,” a “classic” and as such has some unquantifiable “charm” that renders it superior to WDW. Has anyone here ever bought a house? There’s a reason that seeing a house advertised as “charming” or “a classic” raises red flags--those are generally code words for “broken-down,” “antiquated,” and “old.” For lack of a better word, I was struck by how ‘dated’ most of the attractions at DL seemed. In DL’s case, I would not call it the “original” so much as the “prototype.” The folks at Disney saw what was wrong with the “original” DL, and fixed the errors at WDW. It seems to me that the Pro-DL crowd are simply trying to imbue their homer bias with some mystical quality by pointing their noses in the air and saying “original.”

(6) Matterhorn, Schmatterhorn. One of the big Pro-DL points is “Well, DL has the Matterhorn.” I might be tempted to give DL points for this....if I was ever able to ride it. This aging relic has been broken down/not running EVERY time I’ve been there. This past visit, on New Year’s Eve, at least one of the two tracks was up and running, so I got in line. After spending about half an hour in the line winding around the “mountain,” I was within sight of the boarding platform...only to be informed that the ride had broken down, and that it would take 45 MORE minutes to fix it. My girlfriend and I left, came back several hours later...and had the *exact same* experience. After 30 minutes standing in line (again) with other footsore fellow travelers, we were (again) confronted by the mysterious voice over the intercom telling us that the ride had broken down (again) and that it would take another 45 minutes to fix it. End result: We spent an hour waiting in line for a ride that we never rode, and to date, I’ve still never ridden the Matterhorn, despite living in Southern California for 10 years. I refuse to give DL any “points” for this attraction if they can’t actually get the dilapidated fossil up and running on a regular basis. (Curiously enough, there is also no FastPass for the Matterhorn--it’s as if Disney wants you to endure some sacrifice/rite of passage just to prove your worthiness to ride it.)
    i definitely understand all the sayings you are about disneyland, me and you kinda had the same experience but the other way around, i go to disneyland all the time, but ive made two trips too disneyworld recently, ones last dec and one this past june styed one week on both trips.. and what i have to say about disneyworld form a disneylands fan perspective is this.. when you first enter the MK.. you dont feel nothing like you do disneyland you feel instant magic but i didint feel that when i first enter the gates in MK.. so i walked down mainstreet and then i felt that disney magic everything is bigger the castel i loved it mainstreet how wide everthing is there i loved it!. i now i understan why disneyworld fans get disappointment when they see ours. then the day went on, it went form being happy from im not to being so happy, after awhile the heat there really gets to you, yeah you say saze matters yeah maybe in a bad way walking around the heat there is horrible yeah socal gets some heat waves time to time but nothing like this, and right away you wanna go back to the hotel and take a shower.. but the bad thing is ur hotle is like 5 miles away from where ever you are in the resort.. so yeah sizes matters but in a bad way.. i love how in disneyland everthing is close and the other park is just 50 feet away while in disneyworld everthing is so spread out, in one theampark you have maybe 2 great rides ay the most, then you have to go all the way too a other theme park and to see you only have 2 good e ticket rides that is not fun at all when every park is ten miles apart. and dont forget even tho disneyworld has 2 more parks they only have 2 more rides all together, whitch shows you size doesnt matter, i think thats the bad part of disneyworld its to big! and all the shows there are really outdated to me ive seen fantasmic wishes and holiday wishes lliminations, but i was really disappointed by there fireworks in the MK, while disneyland its a tradition.. and there it just a very overrated firework show.. while disneyland is famous for having the best fireworks in the world. very disapponited by both of there firworks display. while im not completely hatein on disneyworld im just telling you what i find disappointing about disneyworld...while there is alot that i love.. to much to tell on here. and yes disneyland does get overcrowded but can disneyland really help it that everone loves it? that is what makes it an original, it has a charm to it, its perfect the way walt made hes park, to me they try to hard to make other MK better by making it bigger. wider mainstreet or bigger castle. to me thats what makes disneyland the best the size of the castle and the charm. i didnt belive people when they said disneyland has more magic then disneyworlds MK, i just thought its just a themepark its the same.. but no not true no offense to disneyworld lovers.. disneyland is more magical you feel it when you are just sitting there you feel it when you are waiting for the fireworks you feel it when you are walking down mainstreet when its about to close, ever been at disneyland at mid night? when there is hardly no one around? if you ever do go look down mainstreet and just stand there look around and trust me you will feel that magic that you dont feel in no other place in the world. and i never felt that real magic leaveing disneyworlds MK at night yeah sure disneyworld is magical but disneyland there is something about that place that cant be beat, what im trying to say the magic seems real.. while disneyworld just trys to hard. disneyworld to me is a one time thing while disneyland you can go over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The Matterhorn is ALWAYS up and running when I go. And 20 minute wait isn't much of a sacrifice. Try going on a day that isn't New Year's Eve.
    We have gone to Disneyland 3 times a year for the last 10 years, and have NEVER found the Matterhorn to be shut down. We also don't seem to have the same problem with getting to the park. Everything you wrote about didn't exactly ring true for any experience I have ever had there.

So yeah, don't exactly get what Robb8888 is even talking about. I have been to both WDW and DL, and they both have their positives and negatives.

It is hard to compare DL to WDW just because they are such different experiences. Some people like both for various reasons, and others have a definite preference.

To WDWFigment, I really loved your pictures and trip report. So much so that I found all of your other trip reports and have been reading them over the past few days. It is clear you have a real talent for photography! Thanks so much for sharing your hard work and passion for Disney.

Lisa
    Last edited by LisainCalifornia; 01-06-2011 at 10:52 PM.

• Splash Mountain Lover

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Trip Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567