Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Making Your own Disneyland or Attraction

Like many talented artists here, and Disney lovers. We want to bring the whole place home with us if we could. The very first moment I stepped foot into the magic world of Disneyland, I was around 4ish, and as time passed into my teenage years. The idea of working for Disney was a thought but before that even came to play. I always loved drawing, painting, creating, and model making. I do graphics/web design now but nothing beats creating with your own hands.

My all time favorite attraction was the mighty Matterhorn. I wanted one in my very own backyard when I was a kid but since I had no millions of dollars. With my art skills, millions of photo/video of the attraction at my disposal, I decided to make a scale model of the Matterhorn when I was in Junior high school, dating back to the early 1990s, to satisfy that gap.

I still have the model till this very day, I decided pull the cover off it, dust it off, and take candid photos of it for all to see (share). Made/sculpted from clay, and painted with acrylic paint, it can also hold water (the lakes). I was around 11 or 12 when I made this, it took me 3 or 4 days straight, round the clock during the summer. No detail was over-looked, the mountain is laid out just like the real attraction.

I studied hours of home-video, and Disneyland documentaries that I recorded off the Disney Channel. From the track lay out to where the abominable snowman are. I actually placed mini speakers inside the mountain where the snowman are located, and parts of the caves. Since I had hours of home-video (VHS) of me riding the attraction, capturing the sound effects (an age before Disney released effects of the Matterhorn). I transferred the sound to tape, hooked up the speaker jack, and the illusion of the ride was even more real.

It's my pride & joy.

I also made a 9x12ft (layout) scale model of Disneyland when I was in freshman in high school but when I moved out of my parents house. My Dad made the mistake of placing out in the backyard shack, and it literately weathered away =( I only took a couple of photos of it, which I can't find at the moment but it's defiantly my goal in the future to make another Disneyland model. Just need another art room, lol. Every time I look at that scale model at Disneyland in Main St, I cry, lol
    Last edited by JMora; 10-24-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Re: Making Your own Disneyland or Attraction

That is so cool! Great job!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Color me impressed!

Wow, awesome job
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    That is so cool! Great job!
    Thank you =)

• Banned User

You made that when you were 11 or 12? Wow. That's impressive. That's impressive for anybody really, because that thing looks greaaat! (:

• I'm not really here

That's freakin awesome! Great job! Does the speaker system still work? Could you post some video of the effects? If not cool, but you've got me really curious!

What materials did you use for it?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Light up the HALO!

That is awesome. I too love building models. Right now I am in the process of making iasw. But this thing is so cool. I wish I had talent like that.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Color me impressed!

Wow, awesome job
    Thank you =)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
    You made that when you were 11 or 12? Wow. That's impressive. That's impressive for anybody really, because that thing looks greaaat! (:
    Thank you, and yes, around that age I created it, kept me out of trouble.
    Last edited by JMora; 10-24-2010 at 09:44 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That's freakin awesome! Great job! Does the speaker system still work? Could you post some video of the effects? If not cool, but you've got me really curious!

What materials did you use for it?
    To my surprise, the speakers still worked when I decided to hook up the speaker jack to my ipod and played this very track (LOL)...
    YouTube - Matterhorn Bobsleds - Yeti Growls

As for video, I have to make one but as for the materials I used. Clay that you can buy at any Aaron Brothers or Michael art stores. Particle wood for the base, and some thin wood or hard cardboard for some sections or else the thing would be too heavy. Clay sculpting tools to carve out the shape, structure, and caves. Last but not least, water proof acrylic paint. I started from the base up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    That is awesome. I too love building models. Right now I am in the process of making iasw. But this thing is so cool. I wish I had talent like that.
    Thank you, hope you get to share your project too =)

I also made Splash Mountain & Big Thunder mountain and gave them to my cousins who loved those attractions. I kick my self in the butt, since I didn't take any photos of the process. Things one forgets when doing stuff like that, lol.

• Metal Head loves Disney

Yet another member to motivate me to be crafty, thanks for sharing your amazing project with us!
    Last edited by rage; 10-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

• keh!

wow! that is VERY impressive! before i started reading, i scrolled down a bit and thought the first image was of the actual Matterhorn Bobsleds! lol. i LOVE models, i can stare at them for hours. your model looks very fun, and i bet you had a great time making it, i know i would. awesome job!

• Closed Account

A very impressive model, but I must ask why some portions are stained red? Is this where people have raised their hands?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    A very impressive model, but I must ask why some portions are stained red? Is this where people have raised their hands?
    Thanks, as for the color reddish hues, lol. At the time of the creation, some of the rocks formations had reddish-mahogany tone to them but unlike the real thing, my model doesn't face the elements of the Sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast