Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Rods

Rocket Rods

Yesteray I was on youtube, and just looking at old videos of Disneyland....and I came across this ride called Rocket Rods....I watched it and I thought to myself Wow I have no memorty of this ride. Do you guys remember it??

• Yeah.....

Re: Rocket Rods

Here ya go:
    Rocket Rods at Yesterland

Read up!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

And they have been the subject of numerous topics, too, detailing their demise.

http://micechat.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3742220

If you didn't follow the Tomorowland '98 project, or if you didn't visit DL during '98 or the first part of '99, you probably wouldn't know anything about them. Too much wear and tear on the vehicles, the lack of banked curves, and the policy of run, repair, and build on the cheap of the Pressler/Eisner era made TL'98 one of DL's biggest failures in DL history. And Rocket Rods was just one of the many failed projects within the TL'98 project.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 10-28-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I went on it! It was a long, long wait. It was always broken down. It woould zip up the 35mph, slow way down for turns, then zip back up at the next straight away. If I remember, the cars could also do "wheelies". All three wheels stayed on the ground, but the seats were lifted up at an angle from hydraulics at the back. It was kind of exciting, but awfully short. Maybe a "D" ticket. It was awful sad to go through the 'circlevision' theater where America the Beautiful played, and see it just used as a line for the ride.
    Last edited by sailor310; 10-28-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot something. Go to YouTube. Good RR videos
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

The Rocket Rods were only fun for the first 200' where you accelerated pretty quickly (A little like Screaming, but not as severe). After that it was similar to the People mover as the turns were flat and sharp (SLOW).

They were fun at the time.... But improved attractions like the new Star Tours are what is needed.

I do not miss the People Mover or Rocket Rods and much as others. It would be great if they got rid of the tracks and moved the Astro Orbitor back to the to it's old location. This would greatly improve the access and traffic flow around the hub and into Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 10-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

It was great fun and added a futuristic aspect to a land lacking it. Wish they'd done the work to keep them!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Hooterville, USA

The ride wasn't worth the wait.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• ******** Gold Member

I think many people will have the experience of finding a DCA ride, icon, or restaurant they never saw before, although the turnover isn't quite as fast as Rocket Rods. I'm glad I rode them once, but it wouldn't be a high priority if they were still available. Before you saw the bad rap they're getting, what did you think when you discovered them?

• formerly very helpful

I thought they were excrimient. It was essentially a sped up People Mover, but speeding up the People Mover didn't result in an exciting ride. It just resulted in taking out the charm of a ride that was relaxing, iconic, and added a futuristic kinetic dimension that is now very lacking.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Rocket Rods is like the Britney Spears of Disneyland attractions.

She had her following, but it was a certain type of person who enjoyed it.

I like it, but only got to ride it once. It was doomed to fail.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

The line was always 3 hours long while the actual ride itself was only 3 minutes. It still kept the Circle Vision Theaters when you waited in line and played scenes from the old versions, and the TimeKeeper on them. The ride constantly broke down, hence the long lines. The track was only built for the People Mover, and wasn't meant for high speeds. Since the turns weren't banked this caused the tires to wear out, having to be replaced about once each week. Also because the tracks weren't banked the vehicles had to slow down on them, giving an unpleasent ride and wearing out the tracks and tires as said before. The ride opened in 1998 with the new Tomorrowland and closed in 2000, lasting only 3 years. A sign promised that they would try to fix the ride but nothing ever happened. The attraction sign was taken down from the building and the signs saying a new Rocket Rods did too. The building sat unused until 2005 when BLAB opened. Also, I forgot to mention in the queue there were ride vehicles painted orange and blue with lights on them in the same color. They included People Mover, Rocket Jets, and even a Rocket Rod vehicle. Around the vehicles were blueprints of them. Well, that's all I know about this very hated ride (have you seen the comments on Youtube?).
    Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 10-28-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

I remember that ride me and my husband waited forever for that ride. At least I rode in the front seat for the first and last time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I remember it being semi-cool and new at the same time, but it failed for many various reasons. (Though, I wish I could find the song that was played in it, the title of it was "Magic Highways Of Tomorrow." Tried Youtubing it, but no results were shown. Could any of you guys find it?)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• no flash photography...

yes! I loved it. It was the best ride ever if you were sitting in the front, but the line was long and slow.

• Parking Lot > DCA

This is my favorite:

Oh and this:

'On display at DCA'

*Photo credits to Yesterland.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast