Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• long time listener

Re: No love for the Golden Gate Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I for one, am pleased that DCA is getting a bit of a "do over" with all of the changes coming in. As much as I did like the park from the beginning, I've always felt that there was a LOT of untapped potential. They can still do a lot more with it.
    However, one place that I never really had a problem with was the front gate area. In fact, I'm actually going to be very sorry to see the Golden Gate Bridge get the axe. I think that's a fantastic bit of theming that made for a nice feeling when I saw it. In my opinion, it also enhanced the monorail a bit, which isn't even a DCA ride.
    Be that as it may, am I the only one who liked the bridge, and even the murals? Yes, I admit it, I liked the murals.
    Cosmic thoughts?
    You are not alone. I dont think the Golden Gate and murals needed removal.

The Golden Gate Bridge doesn't bother me, although I can see why people wouldn't like it. Seeing the actual Golden Gate Bridge and how amazing and grand it really is, and then seeing the DCA version, makes me think they could have done more with it. I hope they can still incorporate a Golden Gate Bridge in the new California Adventure though.

• All-American

I think it'd be cool if one day, in Pacific Wharf (or if they ever got around to creating a fully-themed San Francisco land), they had the two towers of the Golden Gate bridge peeking from above the buildings, similar to the ship's mast in New Orleans Square.

But the current one needs to go. It doesn't add to the theme of any area, and is so badly proportioned that it looks tacky.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    When people think of the Golden Gate Bridge, they think of a giant, majestic feat of engineering. DCA's version, is not. It's tiny with no charm. The cables are droopy and the proportions are awkward. oh yay, and the monorail crosses through. I am GLAD it's leaving. if you're going to replicate the Golden Gate, do it right, don't make it look flimsy. It could be done right but i think they just chose the wrong location. when Vegas replicated the Eiffel Tower, it was actually done nicely. sure it's half the size, but it looks convincing, and it's still pretty tall once you go up there.

The bridge at DCA NEVER made me excited about entering.
    The guy who designed the Eiffel Tower in Vegas was my senior thesis advisor. He actually worked for WDI too, I think in the late 80's.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    When people think of the Golden Gate Bridge, they think of a giant, majestic feat of engineering. DCA's version, is not. It's tiny with no charm. The cables are droopy and the proportions are awkward. oh yay, and the monorail crosses through. I am GLAD it's leaving. if you're going to replicate the Golden Gate, do it right, don't make it look flimsy. It could be done right but i think they just chose the wrong location. when Vegas replicated the Eiffel Tower, it was actually done nicely. sure it's half the size, but it looks convincing, and it's still pretty tall once you go up there.

The bridge at DCA NEVER made me excited about entering.
    ^This. It's really nothing more than a caricature of the Golden Gate Bridge. I definitely appreciate the attempt to include it in DCA, but that goofy looking bridge totally undermines just how beautiful and magnificent the real thing is.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I personally feel that the Golden Gate Bridge belongs at DCA, but just not where the Monorail goes. I agree it can be moved to somewhere else, just not at the entrance.

• Minion

That' one thing I've yet to do. I've not taken the Monorail going out of Disneyland and go over the GG bridge. But maybe that's not so big of a deal. Still, I'd like to say I did so. But the bridge would definitely be out of place in the new themed area.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    That' one thing I've yet to do. I've not taken the Monorail going out of Disneyland and go over the GG bridge.
    it's nothing special, believe me, lol. you see inside the store more than you see through the "cables" of the bridge. it's over so quickly.

• formerly very helpful

I suppose it is actually a good sign that they are paying that much attention to the theming, and getting rid of something that just doesn't fit.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The Golden Gate definitely needs to go from its current location, but it's a shame it can't be repositioned as a key prop if they actually do a San Francisco area one day - - for example, it would be great as one of the walking bridges across the Paradise Bay (in place of say, the wharf bridge).

What, those couple of buildings that do nothing aren't enough for you? lol

• formerly very helpful

^^^Do nothing? Doesn't one of those buildings flush now?

• Banned User

As others have stated, DCA's Golden Gate Bridge is just plain ugly, and I welcome its removal as part of a much improved DCA.

Attempting to recreate the the Golden Gate Bridge wasn't a bad idea, but they threw out all rules of perspective and scale and used a hideous horizontally squashed design bereft of the architecturally interesting details found on the original.

The only "good" thing about the bridge was that it fit in perfectly with the rest of the uninspired and tacky entrance.

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

Oh, San Francisco.
    YouTube - DCA opening newsreel
    Where you can... uhm...

• ******** Gold Member

I like the bridge, especially that the monorail goes over it. Last week I was @ DCA with someone who had never been there, and he loved the bridge and the CA letters ~ thought they were really cool.

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

Just a small observation here, but wasn't the original theme of the entrance to DCA supposed to be like you're walking into one of those cheesy pop-up postcards? (hence the color scheme and overall "whimsical" feel of the entrance plaza) I think the bridge fit in perfectly with that theme...and I always thought it sweet that the monorail ran "on the bridge".

IMHO...
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast