Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DL drill

• Embrace the kitsch!

The DL drill

Among the many elements in the tourist vs. local/casual visitor vs. AP debate, one has been mentioned in passing, but deserves a closer look. That is what I call the DL drill. The DL drill is the large body of specialized knowledge you've got to have in order to do DL effectively. The DL drill has many elements, all of which must be utilized correctly (and yes, there is a correct and an incorrect way). These elements include:

1. Fastpass
    2. Circular flow
    3. Fireworks policies
    4. Fantasmic policies
    5. Special hours for certain areas (i.e. Toontown)
    6. Bus routes to the various parking lots
    7. Priority seating
    8. Loopholes and exceptions to all of the above (i.e. Fastpasses can be used after they expire)

See what I mean? Going to DL used to be a simple pleasure. The DL drill has elevated it into a commando operation. Now, there have always been those who've taken pleasure in micromanaging every minute of their day, bolting from attraction to attraction on a strict schedule, but what used to be a personal idiosyncrasy has become a necessity. If you don't believe me, just try strolling casually through a crowd in front of somebody w/ a stroller and see how long your Achilles tendon lasts. Just try showing up less than 4 hours before fireworks or Fantasmic and you'll get eaten alive by people who have nothing better to do after work than spend the whole evening camped out for the absolute best seats. These folks know the drill, by G-d. They come here twice a week and they're not about to let you take away their Friday night ritual! Who do you think you are, anyway? Of course, if you ask real nicely and maybe get down on your knees and beg, they'll let you have the Fastpass they shouldn't have, but knew how to get.

It's not that all locals or AP's are entitled prima donnas. It's that since DL decided to crowd the park, it had to create new policies to deal w/ the crowds. Those who come so often quickly learn the policies and the loopholes and are able to deal w/ them. Meanwhile, the poor tourists get chewed up and spat out because there's no way for them to prepare for the horrors of Circular Flow.

I want to go back to the time when people felt fortunate to be able to go to DL and everybody had an equal chance to do everything. One ticket, one parking lot, one line for each ride. A nice level playing field.
    Last edited by Broadway Guru; 11-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Re: The DL drill

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    See what I mean? Going to DL used to be a simple pleasure.
    It's still a simple pleasure for me and my family.

Drill? What drill?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Stop allowing camping and you've already eliminated numbers 3, 4, and 7...

• =)

A visit to the park doesn't feel like a commando operation to me. Actually, when I first started visiting infrequently in the early 90s, my experiences were a lot more intensely planned and strategized. Over time, and as I began more visiting more frequently, I learned to relax. I never plot out my day in advance anymore. I've learned about how the park works over time because I love the place, and I use that knowledge to inform my decisions as I go, and then I just have a go-with-the-flow attitude when that doesn't work.

Any time you create any system or venue or product or service or whatever, there will be some people who have a greater interest in it and thus know more about it. And any time that system/venue/product/service/whatever is being offered by a huge public company, you can bet that they're going to try to increase their profits by whatever means possible.

Right or wrong, these are realities of the world we live in. And the best way to deal with it is to become a student of...whatever you're doing. Everything that matters to you. If you're visiting a new place, invest some time in learning about it. Enjoy the process of soaking up new information about it, and then when you're actually there...just go with the flow. It's more fun.

15 minutes from the park that started it all

99% of the time when i go to the parks, I just bring my camera, and take it slow
    Well after the quick jog to get WoC fastpasses of course (;
    But we usually go once a week in the morning, go for a few hours, walk a little, and take it easy
    No drills here.

• Senior Minion

^ Thus illustrating the OP's point about the difference between the local AP experience and the tourist experience.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Blew By You

We've a drill more so at home preparing for a day at Disneyland. But once there, we tend to flow, as in taking one step at a time to walk to the attractions that are of our daughter's interest or finding a place to eat. Once a while back, I did feel the drill mentality but that's disappeared after the birth of our daughter. But we do notice some in the crowd who seem to be on a mission or moving to a different drummer. So, there is a drill but we chose to ignore the pull.

I usually let the day plan itself out
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

• I'm not really here

I have never followed a drill. When we go to the parks our planning consists of getting off a ride and saying, "so, Buzz Lightyear next?" "Sure!" "Oooo, Nemo has a 10 minute wait, let's ride that!" "Ok!"

In other words, we have no plan. We also don't wait more than 30 minutes for front row to F!, or for front of the hub for Fireworks. We can't deal with the headache of having such a regimented plan. We just take it easy and go with the flow. We are much more relaxed and calm even on the busiest of days. We never don't get on something, it just may be a bit later in the day than we initially tried... but we get on everything.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• At the bottom

Being informed is not something anyone is entitled to. But it is something anyone can do be they local, or tourist. I live out of state and I know all about these elements that you mention.

None of those things you mention do you "have" to do to have a good time at Disneyland. Last time I went to Disneyland I didn't use fastpass for anything but Space Mountain.

Circular flow is a thing of beauty when followed correctly, it just takes one guest with a stroller who insists on going against the grain that backs everything up..

Please explain "circular flow" . Never have heard of that one?!

True, I'm not familiar with circular flow - other than perhaps how Disney likes the crowds to move after Fantasmic?

Otherwise, I'd researched all the other points before going.

"I DIG A.D.D."

• I'm not really here

Circular flow is the way they have traffic flow during high flow times. In a circular direction, like a traffic circle. It is very efficient at moving large volumes of people quickly with minimal disruption. You may walk a little further to get to your destination, but over all, circular flow is better for the group.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If your a Tourist go three days and get there when the park opens and you should be fine and get to see the all the shows and go on all if not most rides you want. Its a resort now not just one park, I saw to all the complainers Knotts is just a few miles away and Universal is about 40 mins away go there if you want less crowds and no FP, also you don't get Woc, fantasmic, fireworks or Aladdin but hey whatcha going to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast