View Poll Results: Which transition needs the most work?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Main Street to Tomorrowland

49 62.82%
  • Tomorrowland to Fantasyland

10 12.82%
  • The Small World Mall area

4 5.13%
  • Start of the Big Thunder Trail near the Village Haus

7 8.97%
  • Adventureland to New Orlean's Square

6 7.69%
  • New Orleans Square to Critter Country

2 2.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Awkward transitions at the DLR.

Although Disneyland is a staple of amazing theme and inversive-ness, there are a few notable areas where the transition between two of those themes is less than smooth. Currently I am working on a few things and am wondering which ones need improving the most. Also, not just on the thematic level, but also on levels such as crowd flow and aesthetics in general.

I have included a poll and encourage the suggestion of any I've forgotten in the thread.

Thanks

• Merry 2014!

Re: Awkward transitions at the DLR.

Main Street to Tomorrowland. The Astroblasters and those hideous rocks really ruin the aesthetic, the crowd flow, the everything. Once that area gets done there will be a sigh of relief from a lot of people and the park will have a whole different feel.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Oh and I'll take second worst in the post. :P

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

From Fantasyland to Frontierland, it's just feels weird!!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Senior Minion

The gauntlet of frustration that Disney forces you to transition through from the moment you exit your automobile to the moment you reach the Disneyland railroad tunnel entrance.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The gauntlet of frustration that Disney forces you to transition through from the moment you exit your automobile to the moment you reach the Disneyland railroad tunnel entrance.
    Oh gosh yes. The amazing worse than Walmart entrance to the happiest place on earth. I believe I already touched on my solution to that though.

Its amazing how fast the novelty of oversized looks-like-a-cone-but-actually-is-a-cement-pillar wears off.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Park in the Toy Story lot. Problem solved.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

You still have to see the ugly entrance area (aka the bus loops off Harbour) even coming from the TSL.

• I'm not really here

Of those listed, the only truly abrupt transition, aka "jump cut" in film terms, is the MS -> TL one. All the others do have a crossfade, albeit very small in some cases.

TL -> Fantasyland is actually a fairly good transition as you go from Tomorrowland into a sort of themeless area as you walk between Matterhorn and Nemo, then as you approach the front of the Matterhorn the trees change as do the lamps, etc.

Fantasyland to Frontierland is a very short fade, but it is there. The pavement shifts and aspects of the buildings change as well on the left, but on the right you still get aspects of Fantasy. Then the right changes as well.

NoS -> AL is pretty abrupt, but works in the end because the River Belle Terrace is built in a style that you would expect to see in both places during the respective time periods. As you move past the RBT, the buildings on the North side of AL shift into a more traditional style for the jungle.

Around the other side, NoS to Frontierland the RBT transitions slowly across the entire outdoor dining area into the Golden Horseshoe.

NoS -> CC is accomplished on the right side of the path by the "harbor" you would expect in a large city turning into a river far from a city. The harbor out front of the exit to HM is usually a fairly busy area, but by the time you get to the back of the building you are in an area with overgrown grasses, the trees have changed again, and you are clearly in a wooded river area that is much calmer.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

Main Street to Tomorrowland...although I do find it amusing to eat at the Plaza Inn while watching the Astro Orbiter spin right outside the window.

• Boogers are salty

Main Street to Tomorrowland? Is the hub part of Main Street? I thought the hub was the transition point between lands.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

I like the question, but the poll results are not surprising (and the addition of the "Copper Rocks" by the Orbitor does not help).
    I have to agree with Mycroft, I think "Big Thunder Trail" (Fronteirland to Fantasyland) is one of my favorite parts of the park.
    I also enjoy his explenation of the transition between New Orleans Square / Frontierland and Critter Country. You can see the logs from Splash Mountain in the Rivers of America. You can enjoy a good view of the Haunted Mansion on the Mark Twain. Plus, there's the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, which is listed as being in Critter Country, but can arguably be a Frontierland attraction.
    I also like how the Matterhorn, Autopia and the Submarines border both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland; making them attractions in both lands in their own right. (just my two cents!)
    --Dave

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    Main Street to Tomorrowland? Is the hub part of Main Street? I thought the hub was the transition point between lands.
    For intents and purposes, I'm calling the hub MS. Tomorrowland seems to visually intrude more than the other lands (Fantasyland aside of course).

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    [...]

NoS -> AL is pretty abrupt, but works in the end because the River Belle Terrace is built in a style that you would expect to see in both places during the respective time periods. As you move past the RBT, the buildings on the North side of AL shift into a more traditional style for the jungle.

[...]
    This one is still my pet peeve. Its not even so much the theming as it is the crowding, stroller parking, and the fact you walk under the treehouse and bam, all you see ahead of you is the ROA that doesn't feel very adventurous. I am working on a proposal for this (which is one of the reasons behind this post)

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    AH, a fellow challenger to the poll approaches..

+1

• At the bottom

Main Street to Tomorrowland......Tomorrowland is the only land that now intrudes into the hub so obnoxiously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast