Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: DCA Food and Wine Festival Canceled

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    I know it was very popular. So with all respect and just my two bits, I love good food and wine, neither of which I found at the Food and Wine Festival, save for the private winery dinners at Napa Rose, which are incredibly good. And for Sir Didymus, who's turning 21, if you want a truly great food and wine experience, just go to Napa Rose and let them work their magic for you.
    I agree on that last part. You cannot beat Napa Rose. So if you want to treat yourself for your birthday, have a nice dinner there with family/friends and if you really want to go all out, do the Vinters Menu with the paired flight of wines. Delicious!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Common misconception. WDW's F&W makes a killing. California's has LOST money for the last 3 years. The money made off the food and wine doesn't cover the money for the showcases, sets and decor. This doesn't surprise me at all.
    I was thinking the same thing. If they were making that much off of it they would find a place to host it.

Do they also pay the "celebrity chefs" to appear? That would be costly too.

• Banned User

Me too.

Overpriced events. Bad economy. Housing market forecast in California still grim. Simply: construction is an excuse to put the festival on hiatus until the economy improves.

• Banned User

When was the last time that Disney issued a press announcement that I believed was 100% truthful? I can't remember.

•   

If anyone wants to express their complaints/suggestions about F&W, write a letter:

Mr. George Kalogridis, President
    Disneyland Resort
    P.O. Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92802-3232
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

How sad . Well, I guess that saves me some money next spring. Guess I'll just have to go to WDW's Food and Wine Festival in the Fall

I told you so! I told everyone in March of this year that it was going to be cancelled. So they new before this last food and wine that it wasn't coming back while there was construction!

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceProject View Post
    Is there more to the quote because technically it says that they're not hosting it in DCA, not that it is not being hosted at all.
    I thought the same thing, but they went back and clarified themselves on the blog. The festival won't happen in 2011 and 2012 anywhere at the Disneyland Resort.

I am hopeful that it will be back in 2013, but I do know it has been unprofitable and they've been considering canceling it for years. The funny thing is, it might be the one thing Disney undercharges for. They only charge a token $1 fee for wine tastings, and pretty much every hard ticket event sells out nearly immediately. I'm hoping larger crowds combined with higher park capacity will make the event profitable in the future, so it comes back.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

What a bummer. I'm all kinds of sad with this news. I understand that they want an aesthetically pleasing environment for the event and that construction makes that nearly impossible...but I wish they could continue at the Grand Cal or something. Heck, make it a hard-ticketed D23 event so they could make moolah.

Also, anyone else having any trouble with the link in the OP? I tried it twice and got a DL error page. Try this one if you're having trouble too...Important Update on Disney?s California Food & Wine Festival Disney Parks Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    How sad . Well, I guess that saves me some money next spring. Guess I'll just have to go to WDW's Food and Wine Festival in the Fall
    I guess I'll see you there! Haha

Speaking of which, I have gone to Food and Wine for the first time in October.
    Oh my gawd was it amazing!

I'll let the optimist in me come out and present some hope. Perhaps in 2013:

- DCA will no longer simply be the AP lounge and the free part of the 2fer deal. People should actually be paying to get in, and increased paid attendance, especially if the festival includes some AP blockout dates, and hotel bookings should help.

- With greater crowds and capacity, economies of scale improve. I assume the chefs, winemakers, and celebrities are paid for their time and not by the size of the audience, so a larger audience should allow those costs to be spread over larger revenue. Also, the unique food items at the marketplace and merchandise can sell in greater numbers to offset their development costs.

-Sponsors should be easier to attract. Not only will DCA hopefully lose its stigma, but the economy had better improve by then as well.

My hope is that these factors would make F&W profitable without raising prices. I said earlier that Disney doesn't charge as much as they could, but of course I sincerely hope they don't raise prices. The $1 wine seminars/tastings represent one of the very few moments where I feel like I get uncommonly good value for my money at Disney.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

well i guess i should have purchased a few more bottle of the $20/bottle Magicale when it was at the festival!!! :/

also, what my boyfriend and i fell in love with at the 2009 food & wine festival was at the second floor terrace at the golden vine winery. there were multiple flights to choose from that were very tasty and some amazing food. the terrace reopened during this years festival but sadly it now just serves the same menu as the cove bar. they need to bring it back. there doesn't need to be two cove bars. i want unique and different experiences.

flower gleam & glow...

I have been every year since it started. Look forward to it every year, this bummed me out. I hope it returns in 2013.On that note i'm looking to see if any one went to taste the first year, there was a winery there that had a late harvest chardonnay that was yummy, and i was lloking for the name of that winery. Any help would be welcomed.

• no flash photography...

once the spread the food choices all over the park it lost it's charm for me.

I did enjoy seeing a couple demonstrations and the wine tasting, but it's not something that I will miss terribly. It kind of turned into a scavenger hunt...not to fun when I don't live at the park.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Booooooo.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast