Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boogers are salty

Do you think they would ever replace one of the original lands?

There has been all this talk lately about changes being made to either Frontierland or Tomorrowland and it got me wondering, how much could they get away with changing. I don't think they could ever gain public support for taking out one of Walt's original lands but is Frontierland relevant anymore.

Most kids I know don't even play Cowboys and Indians anymore, my guess is cause its not pc. And I doubt most kids even know who Davy Crockett is. Should Frontierland, or any other land for that matter, be replaced. I personally think it makes sense but would find it heart breaking. I think the answer would be a Jerry Bruckheimer reboot of Davy Crockett or a Western.

Does anyone know if they've ever considered replacing one of the original lands or if its been discussed?

• Who are you again?

Re: Do you think they would ever replace one of the original lands?

not sure if anyone considered it

but if this does happen Walt's and all of the imagineers ghosts would haunt them forever
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    There has been all this talk lately about changes being made to either Frontierland or Tomorrowland and it got me wondering, how much could they get away with changing. I don't think they could ever gain public support for taking out one of Walt's original lands but is Frontierland relevant anymore.

Most kids I know don't even play Cowboys and Indians anymore, my guess is cause its not pc. And I doubt most kids even know who Davy Crockett is. Should Frontierland, or any other land for that matter, be replaced. I personally think it makes sense but would find it heart breaking. I think the answer would be a Jerry Bruckheimer reboot of Davy Crockett or a Western.

Does anyone know if they've ever considered replacing one of the original lands or if its been discussed?
    Is Main Street relevant anymore? I don't think Disneyland is about relevance, but instead about the past, the future and fantasy. I can't imagine any of the 5 lands ever being removed or rethemed.

Also, you're contradicting yourself with your suggestion for Frontierland: you don't think Davy Crockett or Frontierland is relevant yet you want Bruckheimer to reboot it as a Davy Crockett land or a Western land?

• Boogers are salty

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Also, you're contradicting yourself with your suggestion for Frontierland: you don't think Davy Crockett or Frontierland is relevant yet you want Bruckheimer to reboot it as a Davy Crockett land or a Western land?
    HAHA no, I meant a movie like PotC, was that not clear. Although that was mostly kidding.

I can see them getting rid of Tomorrowland or just heavily rethemeing the idea of the land since Tomorrowland is becoming increasingly more irrelevant and hard to come up with ideas since alot of "future things" are already here and are present things.
    I <3 Disneyland California
    &
    <3
    California Adventure

December 15, 1966 - Also known as the saddest day in world history.

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

Quote Originally Posted by e4skins View Post
    I can see them getting rid of Tomorrowland or just heavily rethemeing the idea of the land since Tomorrowland is becoming increasingly more irrelevant and hard to come up with ideas since alot of "future things" are already here and are present things.
    yes but SIFI is bigger than ever (avatar, star trek reboot, just to name a few resent big hits), while westerns are all but gone.
    as for frontier-land, i don't know about getting rid of it, but it differently needs some work! it needs a new attraction, big thunder is great, and those goats are adorable (petting zoo), but it some thing else!
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

• See Ya Real Soon!

Of them all I think Tomorrowland would be the most logical land. I think it is too hard to keep it properly themed.

SiFi is not the same as Tomorrow.

• back in Austin

I've wondered this many times myself. Even if one or two blockbuster movies came out with a western theme, that's not enough to replace the role in popular culture that the wild west used to play. As a culture we've moved on, at least for the time being.

When Walt chose the lands which make up Disneyland, it wasn't just because they were pertinent to Disney properties which Walt was promoting (e.g. True Life Adventures and Adventureland). These lands were near and dear to the hearts of children. He was helping to make their dreams come true. So maybe the time has come for a land like FL to be re-cast as something new.

On the other hand, if Frontierland felt really vibrant (in terms of fun ambience and major attractions) we wouldn't even be asking this question. Same thing goes for Tomorrowland. It could be amazingly fun and awesome (and relevant!), but since it's not we ask ourselves heady questions about Disneyland as museum vs. Disneyland as place for innovation.

So, the real question is, why do they let Frontierland get to the state where we ask this question? (I know, it's kind of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" question because these lands wouldn't be stale in the first place if there was broad popular interest in them.)

i have always like the idea of removing the subs and autopia from tomorrow land and transforming it into a glacier peak type area with matterhorn, whilst still retaining some parts of tomorrow land

• Minion

I'd think that Tomorrowland is in order for a transformation. Keeping "tomorrow" relevant is difficult. The current creative minds just don't have the knack to create novel themed ideas (no Kimballs in the office). So, let Tomorrowland fade away.

• Disneyland History Lover

I doubt they would. If anything, they'd could heavily revamp one of those lands to modernize them or bring them up to merchandising par. When it comes to Critter Country or Toontown, though, I can see the lands being replaced at some point if Disney wanted to do it badly enough. Probably not anytime soon, though.

And Tomorrowland can easily be rethemed to the future. All it takes is a little imagination, faith in the idea of tomorrow like America once had, and some work and investment.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Tommorrowland has been gone for years from what the original was like, but the other 4 lands seem to keep the same themes as when the park opens just with improvements.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    And Tomorrowland can easily be rethemed to the future. All it takes is a little imagination, faith in the idea of tomorrow like America once had, and some work and investment.
    I agree with this. Tomorrowland was never about the future. It was all about hope for a better tomorrow using both undiscovered technology combined with the technology of today.

The problem is that no one has this sense of optimism anymore like they did when Disneyland was first built. Quickly after Disneyland was first built, America had to face the Cold War, McCarthyism, the Cuban Missle Crisis, political assassinations, the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War, Watergate. Tomorrowland's promise of a better tomorrow quickly became a tough sell and in many ways an anachronism -- a futuristic land that ultimately felt more nostalgic than hopeful.

However I do think that if done right Disneyland can still remodel Tomorrowland to portray this vision of the future. However because society is so much more cynical these days I doubt that WDI or management can do this properly without appearing overly corporate or cheesy.

Smile Re: Do you think they would ever replace one of the original lands?

While not one of the originals, Hollidayland has been replaced by a parking lot next to Indy.

The original lands and NOS will probably get some updates every few years, but won't be removed. Toontown and Critter Country will probably be removed at some point. Toontown has seemed rather empty and flat since Goofy, Donald, and Chip n Dale's houses were reduced to empty buildings and the Jolley Trolley closed. I can see Disney removing Toontown within the next 5-10 years and expanding Fantasyland. I love Critter Country, but I can see Disney taking out everything except Splash Mountain and turning the small land into a second entrance or backstage area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast