Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Disney Resort trip report 11-17-05

Vic and I just got back from a quick trip to Disneyland and DCA. Both parks are quite pretty in their Christmas mode, but Disneyland is particularly beautiful. The golden tree is quite stunning, though we were a little surprised to see it's artificial. (When did that start?) We got there about 1pm. The park was not at all crowded. First stop: Space Mountain. Not quite a walk-on... but only a 15 minute wait. Then to Buzz. Same thing. Lotsa fun but I can never get higher than level 3! Then over to Splash to get a couple of FPs. HMH is as fun and quirky as ever. After a quick tour through NOS, which is also very pretty, it was over to DCA.

About halfway to GRR, we discovered that we forgot our "ponchos." Ah, well. We're gonna get wet. Oh crap... ride was down. OK... on to Screamin'! Line's too long, get FPs and head over to ToT which also turned out to be a walk-on. On the way, we both had salads in a bread bowl. Somehow, it just doesn't seem right to throw away all that bread. Then back to redeem our Screamin' FPs. We both made silly faces for the camera and cracked ourselves up when we saw them. Great coaster! OK... done with DCA.

Back to Disneyland. Straight to Splash. Dang it! It's down too! Now... this trip, I wanted to do a couple of things I haven't done at Disneyland in a long time and one of them was a ride on the Mark Twain. By now, it was getting dark and as we boarded, they turned on the ship's lights. We also got two chairs at the bow... a first for both of us. Beauty. A trip around the Rivers of America in the dark really feels like being in the wilderness. Back to Splash. YAY! It's not only open, but had just opened and they were letting FPs on first. It's a wetter ride than I remember. More silly faces for the camera. WooHoo! Another tour though NOS to see the pretty lights and over to Autopia. I haven't ridden on Autopia for nearly 20 years. Frankly, I still had a great time and I have my new Disneyland Autopia Official Driver License! On our way to see what kind of line Roger Rabbit had, we were stunned by IASW in its Christmas mode. WOW! The colors are wonderful! It was 6:45 and a door opened at the front of the ride for a small "procession" of dolls. In all my visits to Disneyland, I've never seen this. I didn't even know it occured. While we watched, Vic heard a voice say, "Are you here to see the kitschy thing?" Assuming the question was for someone else, she didn't respond. Again, "Are you here to see the kitschy thing?" Turning around slightly, she discovered that a young man was asking her the question. She replied that she didn't know what "the kitschy thing" was. He said, "Just wait... it's coming up. I call it the kitschy thing. It's awesome."

Then it began. The lights went off and projectors flashed colors and images on the IASW facade. Accompanied by music from The Nutcracker, the show lasted for several minutes. Changing colors, dancing patterns and snippets of cartoons flashed in amazing accuracy and detail on IASW. If you can... get yourself to Disneyland to see this. It's pure Disney magic!

Everything's starting to shut down for the fireworks. We've seen them several times so we dash to the Toon Town Station and catch the last train outta town. We travel to Main Street Station by way of The Grand Canyon then head to Downtown Disney. Vic takes me to Sephora where she buys a couple of Christmas presents for her youngest daughter. Finally, we wind up at the Uva Bar where we get ceviche and a Lemon Drop for Vic... a nice medium rare ribeye and a Manhattan for me. As we eat, the bartender takes freshly washed glasses out of the dishwasher and suddenly we smell POTC. You know the smell... it's unique. Apparently, the Uva Bar dishwasher duplicates it perfectly.

After paying our bill, we head to the tram, walk right on without waiting and get our own row all to ourselves. The Los Angeles freeways were 70mph all the way and we were home in 45 mintes.

What a day!

So now I'm sitting here typing to you while sipping an icy Cazadores. Life doesn't get much better than this!
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 11-18-2005 at 12:18 AM.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Im Mrs Americain Dream

Re: Disney Resort trip report 11-17-05

Thats awsome glad ya had an awsome time
    ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

• Senior Minion

Thanks for sharing you day. It is so pleasant and satisfying to see such a great trip report! It was one of those perfect days it sounds like. What a treasure.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• All you need is LOVE

Wow looks like you made the most of your day Glad you 2 had fun

• Traveler to the south

Actually, I don't think the tree is fake but I have never been close enough to see! Glad you had a great visit, I wish I lived that close! Happy Turkey Day!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Both parks are quite pretty in their Christmas mode, but Disneyland is particularly beautiful. The golden tree is quite stunning, though we were a little surprised to see it's artificial. (When did that start?)
    It's not artificial, it's a White Fir from the Mt Shasta area of Northern California. Perhaps it's the mono chrome (golden) look of the tree that suggests artificial, but no, it's real, just different decorations than years past.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Regarding the tree being real or artificial... I went up and felt the needles. They sure looked and felt like plastic. Perhaps one of us can take a close look at the tree and settle this.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Regarding the tree being real or artificial... I went up and felt the needles. They sure looked and felt like plastic. Perhaps one of us can take a close look at the tree and settle this.
    According to what I read on the disneyland website, it's real:

http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=105

Here are the trunk-to-tip facts regarding this most unique Disneyland holiday icon:
    • The Disneyland 50th Anniversary Gold Christmas Tree stands in Town Square on Main Street, U.S.A. in Disneyland from November 11, 2005 to January 2, 2006.
    • The tree is 60 feet tall and decorated with 5,000 golden ornaments and 5,000 holiday lights.
    • The lights decorating the tree are clear, white and amber accenting and highlighting the tree’s golden luminescence.
    • The tree’s gold topper is a symbolic pair of golden Mickey Mouse ears with the numeral “50” in the center, and is accented with genuine, hand-applied 24-karat gold leafing.
    • At the base of the tree are giant decorative gift boxes and colorful red poinsettias.
    • The tree was harvested from the Mount Shasta region of Northern California, near the city of Redding.
    • The tree is a White Fir, which is also known as a Shasta Fir.
    • For its journey to the Disneyland Resort the tree was secured horizontally on a flatbed tractor-trailer and transported by a trucking company to southern California.
    • The tree arrived at Disneyland on October 17 and soon began an extensive preparation and decorating process that took place in the Resort’s “backstage” area.
    • More than 20 Disneyland Resort Cast Members were involved in the process of preparing, decorating and displaying the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Gold Christmas Tree.
    • The entire process for this year’s tree, from selection to installation on Main Street, U.S.A., took 560 hours.
    • The tree firmly rests in a planter in Town Square and is kept secure from any wind effects by four guy wires that are attached to the tree. Two guy wires are anchored to Main Street buildings and two are anchored into the ground.
    • During the decorating process, the tree was placed in a five-foot-deep well containing 50 gallons of water. While in Town Square for its eight-week display, the tree sits in a similar well that is replenished with water every few days.
    • The Disneyland tradition of a giant Christmas tree towering over Main Street, U.S.A. began in 1956. Disneyland is the last Disney park in the world to still utilize a real live tree as its holiday centerpiece in Town Square.

Tom, when you talk about what you saw at IASW, was that for the holiday lighting moment or what happens there as part of the projections they do during the fireworks?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlaw
    Tom, when you talk about what you saw at IASW, was that for the holiday lighting moment or what happens there as part of the projections they do during the fireworks?
    Since he saw it at 6:45pm, it's not the Small World holiday lighting moment, which happens at 4:45pm, and the fireworks went off at 7:45pm on 11/17. This all according to the DL online calendar.

So it sounds like an on the quarter hour thing, unless he had his times off, and it really was 7:45 or 4:45...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Tom your day sounds similar to mine and my sisters on Monday, except for the problems you encountered with a few down attractions.

I too was excstatic to ride the Twain at dusk, I just love doing that at dusk and nighttime for the same reasons you gave. We too rode up front on the bow, too bad I wasnt with someone of significance aside from my sister, it would have been quite romantical. I mean, you know you're in D-land but a part of you actually thinks you might just be on some small southern river. Gotta love the magic!

• Still wants to be a cat!

The tree is sprayed very heavily with fire retardent with a green tint. Could be why it feels plastic. I touched the other day also, couldn't believe it was real. But it is!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Tree is also enhanced with fake braches. Take a closer look and feel next time - we could figure out the difference, knowing what we were looking for!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I was there 11/18, and saw the Small World projections. I was floored.

Oh. My. Gods.

Amazing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    The tree is sprayed very heavily with fire retardent with a green tint. Could be why it feels plastic. I touched the other day also, couldn't believe it was real. But it is!
    You are totally right. Thats what I was told when I was on the tour of Disneyland for being hired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast