View Poll Results: Which ride type do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Originality - Made from the ground up

41 91.11%
  • Movie Based - Designed after a movie

4 8.89%

• Banned User

Which type of rides would you rather see in Disneyland?

I am very curious, it seems people don’t like originality anymore and I would just like to see how many people like originality or movie based. The reason is because I always get hostility when I am furious at Disney about not making anything original anymore in Disneyland.

Re: Which type of rides would you rather see in Disneyland?

The only reason I would like to see more original attractions at Disneyland is because: (1.) Disneyland is an artistic medium superior to film; (2.) Walt Disney Imagineering is where the last of the truly creative people are at The Walt Disney Company; and, (3.) the Disneyland trademark has more cachet and goodwill than The Walt Disney Studios.

• no flash photography...

I feel it is entirely possible to build an original ride based on a movie. It doesn't have to be slow or a darkride. The darkrides they have now are loud and they do not tell the story well. You have to already know the story orthe rides do not make sense.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

WOW!! I didn't know so many people wanted originality.
    I hope WDI and corporate see this thread!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Senior Minion

I would love to see a ride with Originallity, not movie based. The current Changes to POTC are an example of limited money, Micro-management and also limited imagination. Though we haven't seen it yet, I still think it will not be enough.
    Don't get me wrong I welcome any idea that comes around as I have said in other posts. I just want some positive change.

Will originality ever return to Disneyland? I have my doubts, because of micro-management and CEO'S limiting the final dollar on a project and all the rides going to WDW.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• See you there!

I see nothing wrong with movie tie-ins, but I do believe that many of the ideas that (I think maybe were original) were some of the best.

For example People Mover, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Skyway, Monorail, Autopia, Flying Saucers, etc., etc. All had some degree of original thought, can't think of movie when they were in first.

Soarin' blows me away, Horizons (used to be) in Epcot was an example of a multi-media attraction that I thought was was good. Jungle Cruise was movie based, just not Disney Movie based, yet one of my favorites.

So, movie tie-ins are OK, but origianlity should be the driving force.

CU@DL

Andy

It should be noted that many of the recent additions are not movie-based as much as they are character-based.

The consumer products unit is driving this phenomenon. Disney is only willing to add an attraction if it has the potential to sell more Pooh merchandise or improve the stature of Disney's scarce boy-oriented characters, such as Buzz Lightyear and Stitch.

• Master of Disaster

Originality is good. I voted for that over movie based but I think the issue here isnt really movie based or original as much as it is immersive in the theme of the ride. do you get lost in your imagination or is it just another BLAH ride.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs up Re: Which type of rides would you rather see in Disneyland?

My vote goes to originality but I love movie-based rides. But an entire park that's filled with rides based on movies is called "Universal Studios."

There are plenty of movie tie-ins in the parks right now. The parks are hurting for something that is completely fresh and new.

Excellent post!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah
    My vote goes to originality but I love movie-based rides. But an entire park that's filled with rides based on movies is called "Universal Studios."

There are plenty of movie tie-ins in the parks right now. The parks are hurting for something that is completely fresh and new.

Excellent post!
    Thank you Sallah. I believe you are always the one who sees things as they should be.
    We both know that when we see something being done like what they are doing to POTC is not right. I wouldn't mind it if they upgraded the special effects and whatnot but why the movie I have no idea.

The only movie type attractions I would enjoy are the action movies like Indy, Star Wars, etc.

These movie rides they are making like Finding Nemo are just a spit in originality's face. Just think of what they could of done if they left the theme alone on Submarine Voyage and updated the special effects.

This poll is revealing something very interesting. I am quite shocked that after many people told me that movie tie ins are absolutely acceptable and better in most cases are proving that they actually want originality. Maybe this is a good thread to have for the Disney management to look at. I personally give them credit for the Expedition Everest project at WDW though cause that is original from what I know except for borrowing a concept from Matterhorn.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 11-18-2005 at 01:14 PM.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Walt disney was about originality, so I think rides should be original

• Minion FOREVER!

My two cents.... movie tie-ins are acceptible, *to a point* but if given the choice
    I would always take originality.

And IMHO immersive-ness is a requirement regardless of movie-tie-in or not.

• Animatronic

It's one thing for a ride to take the theme or location or action from well researched, detailed, live-action popular movie such as swiss family tree house, matterhorn, or jungle cruise. It's quite another to have fibre glass or plywood characters from a recent cartoon tossed around singing about the grand plushie store at the exit.

I'll take original rides where the designers go on raids of the movie studio to "borrow" props and set designers.

• Banned User

I personally would like to see the imagineers make more things from scratch that tell its own unique story. It always amazes me how things have gotten this way with so many people wanting original type rides.