Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

I still prefer the idea of putting Skyway somewhere in Paradise Pier, since that was an attraction particularly popular at boardwalk-style parks.

I especially like the idea of using this as the new hotel perk for PPH. Like FastPass, Standby, and Single Rider, you could queue up in three lines, One-way PPH guests (requiring room key), other one-way travelers, and round-trip riders. That kind of queue seems to work for the Sun Wheel. Then you just make the SkyWay buckets come in two colors so guests have a clearer differentiation between the one-way trip and the round trip. And, like Monorail, all passengers must disembark at the PPH station..
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

Okay, so nobody particularly wants to see the wires, towers or buckets going through the air, plus on inclimate weather days this means of transportation would be rendered useless. So, how about the PeopleMover 2.0. We don't really need all that track over the Autopia and Sublagoon. People have been talking about making stop along the existing PM track if it were reinstated.

Why not have it leave the park from behind TL over the Bus drop off over to the Hollywood Backlot and back to DL. Down the escalator at DCA would be people checking tickets and hand stamps, if people don't have the right stuff they get sent back up the escalator for the return trip to DL. Perhaps giving people an inside view of DCA or rather a chance to step some what inside it would taunt their brain to buy tickets. Since I think the Backlot area is probably one of the better areas of the park. Minus SSL.

It would bring back an old ride, give movement back to TL, and provide a transportation means to DCA. Not to mention people coming over from DCA to DL would be dropped off in the park in TL which could bring some more life to a dead area.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• Space Mountain Expert

Hmmm, a good innovative idea to be sure. But, if you really want to do something new like this that transports guests from one park to another, why not just have the Imagineers create an actual, working, space teleporter thing like they used on Star Trek?
    I mean come on, wasn't Star Trek made like 25 years ago??? Hasn't technology advanced enough yet to the point where we can just enter some portal and be beamed somewhere else?
    That's just my thoughts on the matter.
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    It would bring back an old ride, give movement back to TL, and provide a transportation means to DCA. Not to mention people coming over from DCA to DL would be dropped off in the park in TL which could bring some more life to a dead area.
    But are those reasons to open a ride? Shouldn't rides be fun? If they are going to spend money on it, shouldn't the FIRST question be, how can we make a ride that people will really want to go on?

This is my problem with the pier....

It looks so good lit up at night, from a distance.

I don't want lands themed to look good from a distance. I want lands that are awesome fun to be IN!!!!

I don't want rides that make Tomorrowland look better. I don't want rides that help people be fat and lazy. I don't want a ride just becuase it reuses old track.

I want rides that are FUN to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    Okay, so nobody particularly wants to see the wires, towers or buckets going through the air, plus on inclimate weather days this means of transportation would be rendered useless. So, how about the PeopleMover 2.0.
    Liking the PeopleMover 2.0 idea but could zip it up a little and make it Rocket Rods 2.0 - zip through DCA marvelling at the Backlot theming and thus sublininally leaving a strange niggling temptation to go over to DCA

But in all seriousness I agree with the handstamp and elevator idea - surely would be relatively easy to introduce??
    Last edited by emz84; 03-09-2005 at 10:42 AM.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyking
    wasn't Star Trek made like 25 years ago???
    You're kidding, right? Try 40.

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    But are those reasons to open a ride? Shouldn't rides be fun? If they are going to spend money on it, shouldn't the FIRST question be, how can we make a ride that people will really want to go on?
    Well, considering the name of the ride is PeopleMover and it would be moving people, sure why not. It would / could use new technology or the TTA technology. Why couldn't the ride still go through the existing show buildings and introduce those elements before departing to DCA. Just because it happens to have a stop at DCA doesn't mean you have to get off. Just like the Monorail going to the hotel. Many people ride it simply to relax and see everything. I've always thought of the PM as pretty much the same thing but on a smaller scale.

Someone mentioned earlier designated car colors for people wanting to transfer parks, utilizing that method, why not have a cast member observe the track and push a button to have it shift and pull the transfer cart off the main line so those who don't want to stop at DCA don't have to. One better, those who aren't going to DCA stay on the existing PM track and those who want to transfer are switched to the exiting track via cast member say after Innoventions.
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• Space Mountain Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    You're kidding, right? Try 40.
    Daaaaang,
    Then by my calculation, we should have been zippin' round the DL Resort via Teleporters 15 years ago...
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

I'm going to have to agree that the skyway would be a bad idea

it would get too many views of backstage areas and it would look awkword if it goes over Adventureland on it's way from the Pier to Fantasyland, otherwise you'll have to route it the entire length of DCA (wouldn't make since having a skyway next to San Fran the entrance or the backlot) to get through to tomorrowland

all in all the Skyway never worked right, I thought it was dumb when it was fantasyland to tomorrowland and it went throught he Matterhorn

if you want the Skyway check out Seaworld is my advice

anywho on the Subject of monerail routing they can't have a stop directly inside the parks, if you want a DCA stop your going to have to look at the Disneyland stop being moved outside of the park a ways, then they could build a stop for the third gate plus a second entryway like in my LA expansion plans

• Reaver of Souls

I'm staying away from teleporters, ever since I read "The Jaunt" by Stephen King. Yikes.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I'm staying away from teleporters, ever since I read "The Jaunt" by Stephen King. Yikes.
    Yeah... between the first Star Trek motion picture, and that awful Timeline movie (thanks again for killing fantasies, Michael Crichton), I don't think I could ever step into a real teleporter. Oh, and hello, The Fly... I think it's a fun idea for a Tomorrowland attraction, but the real thing? I don't want to end up like the Star Trek parody in Mad Magazine, a charred mess of mis-teleported cells, with Mr. Sulu roasting marshmallows over me.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Subgoon
    Instead of slamming the idea, how about offering constructive criticism?

Many of those issues mentioned could easily be fixed. Obviously, the 'new skyway' would operate in one direction if DL was at capacity, and guests would only be allowed on with park hoppers. Why else would you use the skyway except to get from park to park. That would be the point.

Personally, Id love to see some wort of free park-to-park transport as if you have a park-hopper, it can be a hassel getting from one park to the other on high-capacity days.
    Great idea , I envision something like the Monorail station when you use the lower area to check the guests tickets, but with that and keeping the numbers straight this would have to be an Exit / entrance plaza since the ticket would have to be scanned and all guests accounted for as they come and go. Even as slow as the buckets used to travel it seems unlikely it would have the passenger per hour numbers needed to justify the cost.

However, on the coolness factor the old skyway gave you such a great view of Disneyland and the surrounding area. It is a shame the old attraction went away but when patrons fall off to there deaths - you know what happens next !

I still feel fundamental flaw in the DCA design was a lack of Railroad style transport to get into the park. And further more DLR missed in General the real usefulness of the Monorail by not having it as the link between parks. since the trains come every 5 minutes (or so when not broken down!) you could proces enough people through an Entrance / Exit plaza to keep your numbers straight. Plus you could have a DCA stop or a Grand California stop which would serve as a bonus feature for hotel guests. Plus you could use Grand California's DCA entrance as the entrance / exit area for DCA.

A good idea and thought process on linking the two parks.

WDI

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by emz84
    Liking the PeopleMover 2.0 idea but could zip it up a little and make it Rocket Rods 2.0 - zip through DCA marvelling at the Backlot theming and thus sublininally leaving a strange niggling temptation to go over to DCA

But in all seriousness I agree with the handstamp and elevator idea - surely would be relatively easy to introduce??
    I vote for any replacement of the people mover in general. Even in it's old format.

If they extended the service and made a link between the parks, even better.

How about a people mover tube with neon lights and cosmo music betwenn the parks. the kind of display similiar to the underground tunnel between air terminals at O'Hare Airport.

In younger days I could have got lost in a Daze in that tunnel. Now I go through the tunnel and remember the Happy times Peace

WDI

• Minion

Yeah, I'm not sure why GCH couldn't have had something like the Contemporary. It was something they should have incorporated into the design from day 1. Then again, when I look at most of the "resort" improvements of that period, logical, strong design is not something that comes to mind.

And I think that's also one of the issues that kept DCA from getting much-needed perimeter transportation. It already had other transportation inside its perimeter. It also has that nasty Timon & Pumbaa issue... I want to believe that Disney is looking to the future and hoping to permanently acquire and expand into that corner, so having perimeter transportation right now might just mean more headaches a few years down the road.

Nothing that can't be fixed, and I think it needs to be. DCA needs to be scrutinized and given a ten-year plan for expansion and redevelopment to that they can avoid all these little add-on pieces that don't always add up. Especially with the current mess of walkways, transportation has to be higher on that plan's priority list than it seems to be now.

-- Walt Disney

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by WDI
    but when patrons fall off to there deaths - you know what happens next !
    I feel the need to once again point out that no one ever died from falling out of the Skyway buckets. They closed because they were in bad shape, expensive to upkeep, and the company that made the parts had gone out of business.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast