Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: New skyway from DCA to Disneyland Park

Quote Originally Posted by Walts Nightmare
    First off DCA should not be there, it is Disney at its worst, next to the mess made of Tomorrowland.
    Bring back the skyway just as it was and leave the poor park be.
    The sad state of Disneyland really brings a tear to my eye..
    First off, DCA is here, and it's going to BE here for aa long long time. And, while the park needs a major overhaaul, it's a good thing we have it, because it's much easier to improve something that exists thaan to create something that doesn't.

Second... I'd love to see the Skyway back in some caapacity. And if it went in its old location, at least I could drop things on that awful Nemo junk. But I think putting Skyway, say, in a location where it is authentic to the theme, like Paradise Pier, would be a great way to bypass what is essentiaally too long a walk for what is offered back there now.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

I sadly understand that DCA is here, and it will be here for a long time, and that is a bigger mistake then plowing it under and over with blacktop..
    The whole parking idea was wrong and very costly, money that should have gone to the park..
    Just venting here..Sorry, but it sure helps!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walts Nightmare
    I sadly understand that DCA is here, and it will be here for a long time, and that is a bigger mistake then plowing it under and over with blacktop..
    The whole parking idea was wrong and very costly, money that should have gone to the park..
    Just venting here..Sorry, but it sure helps!!
    It's simply called long-term thinking. I know our society doesn't like that anymore, and seems to prefer instant gratification, but in the long run... what is better? One park and a parking lot, or two parks, an entertainment district, a new hotel, and a parking lot? As the resort continues to improve, the value of the restructured parking will be even more clear.

Yes, it costs money. Development always does. But it was money well spent, as it provides great opportunities for the resort. It's money that really would not have gone to the park anyway, because the park was full to overcrowded with offerings already.

Anyway... back to the topic...

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• insufferable know-it-all

I loved the idea until I tried to imagine where to put it. You can't have it run down Main Street USA. You can't run it from Tomorrowland because that passes over backstage, and the headless Mickey is a very real danger in that particular area. You can't really have it go from Adventureland. You could possibly get away with Frontierland, but that would have to be by way of Adventureland or NOS, neither of which it fits into.

DCA is much easier. Because of Tahoe, it would fit very well in the Grizzly-type area. For that same reason, you could pull it off in Frontierland, but only kinda.

Personally, I think the Skyway is eye candy, but everyone has a right to their opinion.

Given the difficulty, I think peoplemover would work better. You could run that through an interior tunnel most of the way, with show effects. Possibly piggyback it on the grand canyon tunnel (not same view, of course, just structure wise), because that would get it past backstage, and it could drop off in Hollywood.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

The Skyway to DCA would be a cool thing. The Skyway isn't THAT ugly. Seriously. It's kind of eye candy, like Morigoon said.

It also gives the areas it goes over some more life and atmosphere. I

• Banned User

The Skyway to DCA would be a cool thing. The Skyway isn't THAT ugly. Seriously. It's kind of eye candy, like Morigoon said.

It also gives the areas it goes over some more life and atmosphere.

It fits into Paradise Pier, Tomorrowland and Fantasyland just fine. No, it's not really futuristic, but it compliments Tomorrowland well. Fantasyland is an obvious fit (you're "flying"; that's fantasy, in a way, plus the buckets are colorful); Paradise Pier is a good locale for that type of ride as well.

Just my opinion...

It's simply called long-term thinking...
    If thats the case and its not, more long term thinking would have gone into the type of park that was built in the first place. Much better to expand the exsisting park slowly and with exstensive research..DCA has been a dissapointment from the get go, and yes it would be much better the way it was. Just hope this abuse does not continue in the near future..
    Last edited by Walts Nightmare; 07-21-2005 at 11:45 AM.

• Minion

I love the idea of the PeopleMover tunnel. Whaat I would really like to see is something akin to the Monorail... Replace the Mickey & Friends tram with the PeopleMover, letting people off outside the security check area. Then have a second PM track that makes a triangle loop, with a stop just inside the security check, one in Tomorrowland, and one... I dunno, maybe near Hollywood & Dine. Default trip takes you on a round-trip through the entire loop. Parkhoppers and APs can have their tickets scanned and the boarding operator will flip a switch allowing them to exit into the other park. The same could be done at the entrance plaza stop, or it could just be an exit-only stop... just a few options.

Also, back to the Skyway... Imagine this as a corrollary to Soarin' Over California! Maybe even repeat the gangling feet-style vehicles and allow people to go over Grizzly Peak and into the Pier.

-- Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

It would be doable, practical and aesthetically pleasant to have a Skyway that travels from a loading/unloading terminal at DCA's Paradise Pier to a loading/unloading terminal in DL's Tomorrowland. Then, it would be great for guests to have the option of traveling from Tomorrowland, thru the Natterhorn and across Fantasyland to it's loading/unloading station.

However, I think most folks would rather see DCA and Disneyland connected by a form of the People Mover, and see an optional Monorail station at DCA.
    In any event, a skyway (or a People Mover type of ride) from Paradise Pier to the scheduled new development area at the Timon parking lot would be cool. I would also like to see some sort of a ride travel the traditional Skyway course at Disneyland.

There are lots of options out there. In the meantime, DCA remains a park with very little motion. Someday, there really might be a subway and/or monorail system that connects cities such as Anaheim and Orlando to one another.

• out & about

would it be a bad thing to have two skyways? One in its original form in DL and another one for DCA? I just like the idea of having a skyway. As a kid i thought it was so cool, seeing DL from the sky and going throught the matterhorn. It really was thrilling and something exclusive and unique (for me anyway) and something i only got to do at Disneyland!

Now then, about this peoplemover idea... im sure lots of people have a lot of great ideas for a reimagineering of this attraction. I like the idea of having the PM (or another alternate track) make a stop in DCA. It might even incourage people to attend more often.

Think about this... They could use a new peoplemover or skyway or monorail to get people to DCA then shut the rides down "for safety" during the fireworks, essentially trapping people inside DCA forcing them to spend more time there!!!!
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Someday, there really might be a subway and/or monorail system that connects cities such as Anaheim and Orlando to one another.
    True... with rising gas prices, falling air quality, more and more scientific evidence of global warming, and (let's face it) a much larger profit for building homes and business on land that is currently being used for more and more traffic... high-speed, high-efficiency mass transit is the way to go. And Disneyland's "World on the Move" was a great showcase for all the potential solutions to a growing problem.

DCA would be a great place to create a renewed, modern World of Motion. Even a Skyway, which doesn't immediately seem modern, could be reImagineered to fit so many themes. And the symbolism of linking California and Tomorrowland would really be inspiring.

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    But are those reasons to open a ride? Shouldn't rides be fun? If they are going to spend money on it, shouldn't the FIRST question be, how can we make a ride that people will really want to go on?

This is my problem with the pier....

It looks so good lit up at night, from a distance.

I don't want lands themed to look good from a distance. I want lands that are awesome fun to be IN!!!!

I don't want rides that make Tomorrowland look better. I don't want rides that help people be fat and lazy. I don't want a ride just becuase it reuses old track.

I want rides that are FUN to ride!

Mr. Walt Disney himself always pushed transportation! In fact, one of disneylands main themes and reasons it exsists has to do with a railroad that circles the entire park!!! do your research!!

The ride not being fun is just your OPINION!

Improving the landscape of tomorrowland to make it LOOK BETTER is a GREAT idea. Disney relies HEAVILY on its visual theming!!!!!

and about people being fat and lazy? What do inovative transportation rides have to do with people being fat or lazy? It could help with congestion, the elderly, expectant mothers, people with medical conditions that are low on energy. I don't mean to come off as rude or defensive, I just don't understand your opinions or logic dshimel....

• Hooterville, USA

Skyway buckets would need to be redesigned to keep kids from dropping things on the people below. I do like both ideas about PM going to DCA and Skyway heading there too! If the monorail can be re-routed, anything is possible.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Wouldn't another Peoplemover in addition to the Monorail and existing Peoplemover (which coud come back) be a bit too redundant? You'd have two Peoplemover tracks that would look similar and a Monorail. Too much. That's why a Skyway is better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    Wouldn't another Peoplemover in addition to the Monorail and existing Peoplemover (which coud come back) be a bit too redundant? You'd have two Peoplemover tracks that would look similar and a Monorail. Too much. That's why a Skyway is better.
    I think that's a little like saying, Aren't five Fantasyland dark rides redundant?

I think a PeopleMover would use the existing Tomorrowland track to create one PeopleMover, not exist separately.

Ideally. the EPCOT design used monorail for long distances like city-to-city traffic, while PeopleMovers would handle shorter distances like traffic within each city. I think a similar plan on a smaller scale would be good for the park. For instance, something that will get guests across or around the snaking parade route faster than the train would be a great addition to a full PeopleMover route system. Of course, that's a feature that made Skyway so popular in my family...

-- Walt Disney

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast