Cool taking a friend to disney for her first time [halp!]

firstly, i'm new to the forums, so hello to all

also, this is going to be kind of long for a first post, so i apologize :/

a little backstory: i am a new resident to orange county (from sacramento). i just got my disneyland annual pass last month and in about a month, i've managed to go 6 times, which destroys my previous life-long record of 3 times in 26 years. lol. i love it. cliches aside, the place really is magical.

sooo, a friend of mine, who i haven't seen in a few years (she moved to texas, i moved to socal), is coming to visit me later on this month, and wants to go to disney for the first time. now, i've gone enough times to know which rides are the most thrilling, but the problem is; that's all i know. the people i've been with and the type of settings i've been there under have pretty much revolved around riding the biggest rides. i'm looking for a bit of a different mood this time. not necessarily a romantic mood, buuuut.. being that we haven't seen each other in years, and that it's going to be her first time at disney, i would rather it not be a day spent scouting out short lines and killing time in long ones. i'd like it to beee.. special

so i come to you guys! how can i squeeze every drop of magic out of a first time trip to disneyland? what are some neat tricks/secrets i can show her (along the lines of the loose pole in the queue for indiana jones)? shows? places to eat? cool areas of the park that i may not know about? rides that maybe rely on setting more than adrenaline? my time in the park has pretty much consisted of the big attractions (tower of terror, splash/space mountain, pirates, etc.), so i don't really know much about the other stuff. anything you guys can offer up would be really awesome! thanks!

and thank you for reeaading!

• I'm not really here

Re: taking a friend to disney for her first time [halp!]

Don't plan it out... just enjoy your time together as you wander from ride to ride. If something looks fun... ride it. If it doesn't... go somewhere else. What will make this trip special isn't what you ride, but that fact that your friend is there with you.

There are always the typical tricks to getting on things. Peter Pan, Alice, Mr. Toad should be hit very early or very late. Use FastPass wisely.

I would highly recommend a showing of Fantasmic! if possible. It is an amazing show and one not to be missed. If they are doing 2 shows, good seats are easier to get at the 2nd showing with only a 40 minute wait or so. Make your way over by the entrance to Pirates after the 1st show ends and ask the CMs there, politely, when you will be allowed to enter for the 2nd show and follow their directions.

Little secrets:
    The bamboo pole in the Indy queue
    The rope dangling into the well in the Indy queue
    The golden apple at the Snow White entrance
    The Evil Queen peeking out of her window over Fantasyland
    Walt's light over the Firehouse
    A ride on the Lily Belle if possible (get the Lily Belle tickets afterwards)
    Point out the Club 33 door

Some classic rides to go on:
    Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise (enjoy the cheesiness). Buzz is a fun one to do as well.

Good places to eat:
    River Belle Terrace is a great place for breakfast. Eat outdoors if it's nice and watch the activity on the Rivers of America
    Blue Bayou is a great place for lunch. It can be pricey but is really cool to do at least once. Especially for a first visitor. Other good lunch spots are Cafe Orleans, Golden Horseshoe (time it so that you are there and getting your food about 20 minutes BEFORE Billy Hill and the Hillbillies perform. They are a MUST see)
    Our favorite for dinner is Rancho del Zocalo at sunset. The food is tasty and the lighting at dusk/night is incredible. Plus the flowers and setting are amazing as well.

Enjoy some time at the end of the day sitting on the curb of Main Street with a hot cocoa just people watching. Grab a chair or bench on the porch if you can. If not, the curb will do just fine.

I'll say it again though... don't plan it all out. Have some ideas of what you'd like to do, and just go with what comes along naturally. Get an idea of some of the things your friend would be interested in seeing/doing too.

And welcome to MiceChat!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

awesome post! thank you!

fantasmic is probably a really good idea, considering i haven't seen it in nearly 15 years lol. also, i hear that during the holidays, it snows on main street? does this only happen at certain times/days? the snow is the one thing i really wanted to see, since it would be a pretty awesome surprise for her. the overall idea was to pretty much hand her the reins, but be able to show her some cool, lesser known stuff along the way. neither of us are very big on itineraries lol.

i've never been on the snow white ride. what does the golden apple do?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFresh View Post
    awesome post! thank you!

fantasmic is probably a really good idea, considering i haven't seen it in nearly 15 years lol. also, i hear that during the holidays, it snows on main street? does this only happen at certain times/days? the snow is the one thing i really wanted to see, since it would be a pretty awesome surprise for her. the overall idea was to pretty much hand her the reins, but be able to show her some cool, lesser known stuff along the way. neither of us are very big on itineraries lol.

i've never been on the snow white ride. what does the golden apple do?
    They do the snow at the end of the fireworks.

I'm not sure of the time, maybe someone else will have it better but they do a really cool show for lighting of the Christmas Tree on Main Street.

The apple on Snow White when you touch it (may have to give it a slight smack with your hand) makes the Old Hag cackle evilly with some thunder sounds.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Talking Re: taking a friend to disney for her first time [halp!]

Here are the showtime for the "Winter Enchantment Holiday Lighting" with snow! this is such a TOUCHING/EMOTIONAL show people do really TEAR UP during this show.

Weekend show time are:
    5:00-5:05pm
    6:30-6:35pm
    7:30-7:35pm

and of course right after the firework.
    it all start this weekend and continue all the way to New Year.

Spoiler

Here's my video of the mini show I recorded last year make sure not to miss it.
    YouTube - Disneyland - Christmas Castle Lighting 2009 - in Xtreme HD - 11.13.09
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

it sounds a great idea
    I am traveling now.

• Banned User

Hey there welcome to Miceage message me on facebook under search type in takealance it will bring me up I am a Cast Member and I can give u some tips and things.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I agree with Mycroft. Just do what you usually do when you visit. There are some wonderful suggestions above to enhance the day, but don't sweat it. Your friend will have a great time no matter what.

We had the same experience with 2 friends who hadn't been to Disneyland since around 1970. We just did what we usually did and they had a blast. A year later and they are still talking about it!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• ohai

What mycroft16 said was probably the best information you can have for Disneyland! Those were all the things I was thinking when I read your post.

• Minion of Chernabog

If you want some peace there's this beautiful place near Splash Mountain next to where they dock the Columbia. You can watch the people come down Splash Mountain from there, and it's a really peaceful spot. I do some pretty good thinking there. If you see the place where the Columbia is docked (assuming it is) you can find it. It's back behind a little restaurant. Really nice place.

• formerly very helpful

Belive it, or not, but meeting characters can be a great deal of fun- and yes, magical - even for adults. Don't be shy, play right along with them. These can also give you the best photos for memories of the place.

• Johnny and Me!

If you're going to DCA:
    - Draw a Disney character at the Animation Academy in the Animation building.
    - Watch people get soaked by the GRR geyser from the bridge.
    - Have a seat on a bench in Paradise Park and people-watch.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Believe it, or not, but meeting characters can be a great deal of fun- and yes, magical - even for adults. Don't be shy, play right along with them. These can also give you the best photos for memories of the place.
    How could I have forgotten this!? Thank you for posting this. I heartily second this. It can be a lot of fun to take an apple along and try to get Snow White to take it... or presenting Cruella de Vil with a dalmatian plush is always hilarious. You can get some great conversations going with any of them. Burt is another great one to riff with.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    How could I have forgotten this!? Thank you for posting this. I heartily second this. It can be a lot of fun to take an apple along and try to get Snow White to take it... or presenting Cruella de Vil with a dalmatian plush is always hilarious. You can get some great conversations going with any of them. Burt is another great one to riff with.
    haha! oh wow.. i don't think this stuff ever would've crossed my mind. i will definitely be trying both of these at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    Here are the showtime for the "Winter Enchantment Holiday Lighting" with snow! this is such a TOUCHING/EMOTIONAL show people do really TEAR UP during this show.

Weekend show time are:
    5:00-5:05pm
    6:30-6:35pm
    7:30-7:35pm
    THANK YOU! i caught the end of the holiday fireworks while stuck at the top of GRR last weekend. they were pretty epic. i can't imagine seeing them with the music and snow and everything. this should be awesome.

thank you for all the responses, everybody! this has been perfect.

• Minion

Just for a Disneyland break, walk over to the Grand Californian and take a seat by the fireplace in the lobby. Maybe order a couple of drinks (if you're of age that is). Sometimes, there is a piano player, and sometimes during the holidays there are Christmas Carolers.