Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• DisneyFreak100

Line Pass Question

So I recently was diagnosed with tendinitous in my knee for indefinite time. It has affected me to the point where i can not stand in a single spot for more than about 20 minutes without my knee locking up on me. Well this means I am entitled to get a pass for the wheelchair line.

My friends have told me about stories where you can tell city hall you have anxiety and cant wait in long lines or you get chlostrophobic around people and they can give you a pass. Now we always just joked about it, but yesterday was the first time I had gone to get the pass because I hadn't been to disneyland yet, well the people in front of me got one for being chlostrophobic.

At first disney almost wouldnt give it to me because I am only a teenager and they thought I was lying about it. Well I explained to them the problem and they realized they were wrong.

What are the crazy stories you have heard about the pass and have you ever gotten one for something.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Line Pass Question

They were actually more accomodating in WDW, than DL, but my son has a heart condition, and it could be agrivated by waiting in line in the heat, and not moving. So we got one.
    When in WDW, my wife's rhumatoid arthritis started acting up after about a week. We had to rent a wheelchair.
    The worst part is just the bad looks from the people who think you're faking. Unfortunately, there are those who will fake the need for a wheelchair, or other accomodation.
    You just have to know that you're being honest, and it's not your Karma you're messing up.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreak101 View Post
    S
    My friends have told me about stories where you can tell city hall you have anxiety and cant wait in long lines or you get chlostrophobic around people and they can give you a pass. Now we always just joked about it, but yesterday was the first time I had gone to get the pass because I hadn't been to disneyland yet, well the people in front of me got one for being chlostrophobic.
    Wow, they're extending passes for phobias now?

Wonder how they would address agoraphobia?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

One of my coworkers regularly gets a disability pass because he is a diagnosed hypochondriac that gets panic attacks in crowds. He tells me that yes you can get a disability pass for mental illness, but that it doesn't necessarily mean that you can go right to the front of the line. Supposedly, they are meant to wait in an area away from the crowds, assuming that they have such an area available on the particular ride.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^That's very interesting information.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• no flash photography...

I have a bad knee and get a stairs pass. My daughter also has a bad knee and when she tried to get one they gave her a really hard time. It was kind of funny, because they had just given me one without batting an eye and then my daughter steps up and it was a different story.

They did not realize we were together so I just observed until I got the "please help mom" look from my daughter. As soon as I asked for one for her they did it without issue. We were not going to be together all day which was why we needed two. I guess they figure young adults are trying to pull something. I can't blame them. I'm sure they do get a lot of that.

• At the bottom

If someone can't wait in a line because of crowds. Then how do they get through the crowds to get to the attraction?

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    If someone can't wait in a line because of crowds. Then how do they get through the crowds to get to the attraction?
    ummm, imo it has nothing to do with the crowds. It is far more crowded just walking around the park at times. It has more to do with not wanting to wait in a line.

I recall reading about someone who needed a pass because they could not be in the sun. Yeah....and ow will you get around the park all day without being in the sun?...it's all very interesting though.

On my last trip, my girlfriend had to be in a wheelchair temporarily for a severe ankle sprain. While we were in the small "holding area" for wheelchair guests waiting to go on Splash Mountain, there was a family of 4 or 5 with us. The woman in the wheelchair in that group got out of it and told one of the younger group members "You sit in the chair for a while, my *** is tired."

Made me so upset
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

I don't think Disney likes to advertise the information due to abuse. They can't really demand doctor's notes and stuff without running afoul of various government regulations, particularly in California. I recently had to search for the information for a friend who is visiting with an autistic child...could only find the information on advocacy sites and Guest Services gave conflicting info when we called. I understand second hand (from my coworker) that there's been recently a crackdown on disability pass abuse, particular for mental health, but there's only so much Disney can do, since any time they try to tighten standards activists land on them with both feet. They also have a volume problem...counting all mental illnesses, autism and asbergers, movement disability, etc, what portion of the population would need to be accommodated if they all took advantage of it (plus their family members)? Disneyland was built before the ADA and therefore can't accommodate easily, particularly given current crowding conditions.

Any teenager with a visible or invisible disability, will need to learn to be a bit 'pushy' about their ADA rights. Or as I like to say with Rights come Responsibilities. Being willing to ask for a supervisor, will usually ferret out teens who think a Disability Pass will get them into a attraction quicker. Some teens do the pass or rent wheelchairs. Hopefully, it doesn't do them a lot of good.

Now, for those of you with 'invisible' illnesses. According to ADA you do not have to explain why you need assistance only that you need assistance.

In my experience, having a disability does not usually get me on a ride faster. It does keep me off of stairs, which means the damaged hip joint will not swell and cause me pain to the point where I do not enjoy my time at Disneyland/DCA. You can't see the damaged joints in my body that Rheumatoid Disease has caused. At first glance I look as normal as the next person. So I understand not being able to stand in lines, be in crowds (yes, it is possible to avoid crowds and still need to avoid them to get on an attraction,) or sometimes I just need a place to park a scooter/wheelchair and just need to not do the stairs.

On a side note, if you have a scooter or wheelchair, there is only so much space to park them next to the boat, doombuggy, etc. So on a busy day, it can actually take longer to get on the attraction. I am still happy to not to have to climb up and down stairs.

Now, if you have questions, at the turnstiles at the entrance of each park there are yellow phamplets that outline the disability information for each park. You can also get these online as a PDF doc and at City Hall. It lists the different types of disability accomidations. As someone with need accomidations I have found Disneyland/DCA to be very accomidating. Not saying that every employee is up to standards on ADA rules, but on the whole, they really try.

Cynthia

Quote Originally Posted by vikingbead View Post

In my experience, having a disability does not usually get me on a ride faster. It does keep me off of stairs, which means the damaged hip joint will not swell and cause me pain to the point where I do not enjoy my time at Disneyland/DCA.
    exactly, splash I have waited longer, big thunder is usually pretty quick, but usually does not have a line. Indy I can go in the regular line up until the very end and then I take the elevator.

I don't wish to avoid lines. I do wish to avoid stairs.

• formerly very helpful

^^^^I'll put my two cents in to agree, as well. I have a friend with Cerebal Palsy. In some rides, like Pirates of the Carribean, and Space Mountain, it at times took a good deal longer.

As for difficulty that person had about being in the sun, my son's problem had a lot more to do with simply standing in the heat. If he was moving around, he was fine. Remember, you can't always tell just to look at someone. My son got a lot of dirty looks that trip, because nobody could see inside his chest and see his heart problem.

• Banned User

As for the comment about someone not being able to be in the sun, this person could have lupus, my mother has it and she can not be in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. Sheh as to use a heavy sunscreen daily. So just to let you know on that one. As for just handing out passes we will ask what are your concerns about today's visit. We can generally get a feel from the guest what is going on, in some cases we may let them know that we offer wheelchairs as a comfort what is ailing them, other times depending on the situation we may issue a pass. This pass does not guarantee front of the line boarding and in some cases we may have you sit in a area and wait the the time it is in the queue.
    Hope this has cleared up some things.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    As for difficulty that person had about being in the sun, my son's problem had a lot more to do with simply standing in the heat. If he was moving around, he was fine. Remember, you can't always tell just to look at someone. My son got a lot of dirty looks that trip, because nobody could see inside his chest and see his heart problem.
    the sun and I don't get along. I'm very sensitive to it. I get fatigued easy, migraines and dizzy, but I would not try to get a pass for that. It's my issue that I need to deal with. The sun is not going anywhere. Whether I'm standing or walking it's the same for me.

I can avoid stairs, but not the sun.

a lot of the lines are also in the shade. Outside of disney how do you deal with the sun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast