Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion of Chernabog

Idea for a possible Tomorrowland restaurant.

I think most of the eating areas in Tomorrowland are rather boring. I have an idea that would make it at least late 21st century. I don't think it would ever be made due to the cost, but whatever. Please don't put anything about it being impractical, or not cost effective, or whatever.

You enter the building and inside the walls (TV screens or projections or something) show a panoramic view of space and the rest of the "space station" you're in. Imagine you're inside one of those space mountain-esque space station things like they have in the murals on the walls in Tomorrowland. You are in a spire, so if you look you can see the rest of the space station as well as the stars. You notice little claw things are carrying around baskets with food in them and dropping them down at tables.

As you sit down you have in front of you a touch screen table. On it you have a button that says "menu" and it opens a menu when you press it. You click what you want, and you can have "settings" for everything, such as if you want ketchup or mustard, or lettuce and tomato.

After you press order you are asked to place your credit card on the table and it reads the credit card. Or it could have a slot for putting in credit cards and money. It then says "while we prepare your meal, here are some games and videos" and you can watch videos about the Disney parks, watch Disney shows, play some basic games, etc.

When your order is cooked it is placed in a basket and is carried out of the kitchen. Here is a basic outline of the basket and hook mechanism.

Overall restaurant. Red lines are carrier tracks, and there would likely be more tables. It's just a rough plan.

Basic basket design (the hole is where the hooks in the carrier go through to carry it.

Carrier Mechanism.

From there you eat your food (you can still play games while you eat).
    Last edited by Spirit King; 11-11-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding images.

• Raconteur

Re: Idea for a possible Tomorrowland restaurant.

The whole "putting the credit card down on the table" and "ordering on the table" thing remind me of the Microsoft Surface demos they released around the time it was created. I remember fearing for my job when I saw that, but thinking it was very cool.

Found the video in case any one was interested in seeing how this would work.
    YouTube - Microsoft's Surface computer -- restaurant
    Disneyland Resort Photography by Quiksotik
    Disneyland parking attendant: "Have a magical day, yo!"

• Minion of Chernabog

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksotik View Post
    The whole "putting the credit card down on the table" and "ordering on the table" thing remind me of the Microsoft Surface demos they released around the time it was created. I remember fearing for my job when I saw that, but thinking it was very cool.

Found the video in case any one was interested in seeing how this would work.
    YouTube - Microsoft's Surface computer -- restaurant
    I was actually thinking of that thing. They have something like that over at Innoventions I believe.

• formerly very helpful

Funny, I was thinking about a restaurant where you look outside "windows" into space. I was not thinking about the automatic ordering and food delivery, though. Sounds cool. I agree, food time can be a fun time - and an attraction in its own right. For example, a fast food place in WDW's Tomorrowland has guests entertained by an audio animatronic alien lounge singer. I've nver seen that place uncrowded, so it must be a big draw. (The food there isn't much to write home about) - if only TPTB would put the care into it that we fans do.
    I would like to see some more drawings/plans of this. Sounds like a lot of fun.

• Minion of Chernabog

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Funny, I was thinking about a restaurant where you look outside "windows" into space. I was not thinking about the automatic ordering and food delivery, though. Sounds cool. I agree, food time can be a fun time - and an attraction in its own right. For example, a fast food place in WDW's Tomorrowland has guests entertained by an audio animatronic alien lounge singer. I've nver seen that place uncrowded, so it must be a big draw. (The food there isn't much to write home about) - if only TPTB would put the care into it that we fans do.
    I would like to see some more drawings/plans of this. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Starlight Ray's Cosmic Cafe I believe. I've been lucky enough to go to Disney World several times as well as practically living over at Disneyland, so I know what you're talking about. I plan on coming up with a unifying theme for Tomorrowland, more than just "the future".

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I'm going off topic here...but this reminds me of a concept I worked with, in the subterranean New Orleans Main Kitchen, back in the 70's.

The bussmen for the Sara Lee Cafe Orleans, and Blue Bayou and French Market, placed their tubs full of dirty dishes and such on a conveyor belt...which carried the tubs down a labyrinth, through passages in ceilings, emerging at the end in the lower-level dishroom, where workers within about five feet of each other would receive them from two seperate chutes...then proceed to break them down, scrape the dishes and place them on the huge revolving dishwashing machine just behind.

This concept...just reminded me of that.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion of Chernabog

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I'm going off topic here...but this reminds me of a concept I worked with, in the subterranean New Orleans Main Kitchen, back in the 70's.

The bussmen for the Sara Lee Cafe Orleans, and Blue Bayou and French Market, placed their tubs full of dirty dishes and such on a conveyor belt...which carried the tubs down a labyrinth, through passages in ceilings, emerging at the end in the lower-level dishroom, where workers within about five feet of each other would receive them from two seperate chutes...then proceed to break them down, scrape the dishes and place them on the huge revolving dishwashing machine just behind.

This concept...just reminded me of that.
    I can see why it would.

• Minion

When they discontinued the Mission to Mars attraction, they should have kept the rocket ship theaters and Mission Control room, instead of building Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. They could have had it where you ordered your pizza at Mission Control, the animatronic flight director took your order (and your choices of toppings were displayed on the big screen of Mission Control, and the technicians were all given their orders, i.e., "Mushrooms... check. Artichokes, check.") then you went into the round spaceship theater and sat down at tables, and your pizza was delivered to you, and you ate it while the ship "blasted off" and you watched the films projected on the floor and ceiling showing where you were going and where you were leaving, as you ate your pizza. Then when the flight was over and you finished eating, you would return to Earth. That would have been better than what they have now.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I love some of these ideas!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mrs. J. Depp

This is one of the best ideas I've seen in awhile! It sort of reminds me of the old "inside of Space Mountain" where you could see this orbiting orange planet or something from the line. I always thought it would be cool to go inside there. There should be a restaurant where you feel like you're in space.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Banned User

My name is MainStreetJake and I approve of this idea!
    I really dig this idea!

• Metal Head loves Disney

touch screen idea has been used before at a resaturates from the guy who made chuck-e-cheese's, sadly the locations are all but closed now, but the touch screens were awesome to order food on. Tapcode - Home - Award-Winning Self Service and Digital Entertainment Click on "check out our hardware" to see how the screens were being used.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Very cool idea. It brings the Tomorrow back into Tomorrowland. Plus adding more entertaining eateries hopefully would cut back on the congestion of the other ones.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'd like the add that the basket idea reminds me very much of the room in the queue of Star Tours with the robots and that weird music. haha I'll miss that ride.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by rage View Post
    touch screen idea has been used before at a resaturates from the guy who made chuck-e-cheese's, sadly the locations are all but closed now, but the touch screens were awesome to order food on. Tapcode - Home - Award-Winning Self Service and Digital Entertainment Click on "check out our hardware" to see how the screens were being used.
    They used touch screen ordering at Taste Pilot' Grill in DCA and I remember how the average person would walk up to them and go huh? Maybe now with iPhones and Droids with touch screens people will get it but I remember that a CM had to stand out in the lines and help the people do the ordering. So not to contridict my last post, they can use the touch screens, but I have a funny feeling if this was to come to reality they would still need a full staff of CMs to help the (cough cough) idiots order their food.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast