• Minion

Talking Taking Grandma to Disneyland 30+ Years After Her Last Visit

Hello MCers.

This Tuesday my Grandma and I are going to Disneyland to celebrate our only-four-days-apart birthdays. This trip is going to be extra special because it has been more than 30 years since her last trip to Disneyland. She knows a lot has changed over the last three decades and things she might have experienced are now off in Yesterland, so I want this trip to make her feel like she did all those years ago.

We're going to do dinner at the Blue Bayou and get our birthday buttons, but I need some more ideas to truly make her day magical.

What else can I do?

• Minion of Chernabog

Re: Taking Grandma to Disneyland 30+ Years After Her Last Visit

See World of Color if you can. While it may just be a show reel of repackaged Disney films, it's an IMPRESSIVE show reel of repackaged Disney films.

• Minion

We want to do DCA as a separate trip because my Grandma uses a walker/cane/wheelchair and can't handle both parks in one day.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I would definitely recommend renting of of the powered ECV chairs for her to use when she's there. It'd be well worth the expense.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I would definitely recommend renting of of the powered ECV chairs for her to use when she's there. It'd be well worth the expense.
    We definitely will be renting an ECV. The question I have is about the distance between the M&F tram unload in DTD to the ECV rental location. Due to several surgeries over the last decade due to a workplace accident many years ago, my grandma can only stand or walk for short periods of time with the assistance of a cane or walker ie if we were at HM she could walk to the stretching room but would not be able to make it all the way to the Doombuggies without sitting down. That being said, would it be easier to park in the Toy Story Lot since the unload area is closer to the rental location? Or if we had to park in M&F can I rent an ECV and take it to her in DTD even though they cannot go past the bag checks?

Not sure if this would work for you, but here it goes. Does she happen to have one of those newer kind of walkers that has a seat on it? (I wish I could better describe it) My mil sat in hers and we pushed her from the temporary parking to the rental location. There are benches around there that your Grandma could sit on and wait for you. I then ran back to the car (walker in hand) and parked for the day. It wasn't very ideal but it worked. Maybe someone has a better way, but that is what we did.

• Hooterville, USA

I wheeled my mom in a wheelchair and she had the time of her life! Just seeing the park after the lights come on and seeing the parade, fireworks, and Fantasmic is enough to wow anyone! Also, I would recommend Billy Hill at the Golden Horseshoe or any shows where you can sit for a while. I would rather rent a wheelchair then an ECV due largely to the crowds at DL. Seems like I could wheel my mom around easier than the ECVs could.

You won't have to worry about making your trip special. Just going with her will be special enough!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.