splash mountain for little ones?

my sons 41 in and can go on splash mountain but when we got on the log he couldnt hold the rails on the side. they wont let him sit on my lap, so we tryed it their way. the ride broke down, so i dont know what would have happen on the big fall. why dont they let kids sit on laps.

• This is it... COME ON!!

Re: splash mountain for little ones?

If he's forty-one I'm sure he'll be fine!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

he cant hold on to the rail in the log cant he fly out?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall748 View Post
    Well you said he's 41 in the first post. If you meant to say he was four, then ask for the back! You can sit next to him and hold on to him! The back of the log sits two!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

They don't lap-sit because of weight issues and the fact that lap seating increases the size, therefore making EASIER for the kid to fly out!

Proud Premium Passholder

• Minion

Well, it's never happened... so that should give you a pretty good idea.

my sons 41 in
    um - i think the OP meant 41 inches...indicated by the in after 41

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksRichard View Post
    um - i think the OP meant 41 inches...indicated by the in after 41
    Ah, well just do what I said to do! And if you really are still worried even with my idea, then just wait till he is older! And it has never happened before is a very strong point!

Proud Premium Passholder

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

No kid has ever flown out of a log, but I have heard stories of kids who accidently hit there jaw at the end of the drop but got extra-day passes. But try the back. I think Splash Mountain needs logs like WDW's and seatbelts to make sure your safe.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

The OP's post very clearly said "41 in", followed by the obvious text of "so he can ride Splash Mountain". That being said, the OP was stating that he qualifies to ride but is concerned he might fly out.

I am a little confused though on why he can't hold on to the side railings? If he can reach a car door handle from a passenger side, I'm pretty sure he can reach the railings. The only other factor not mentioned here might be a disability, ranging from no arms to a lack of upper body strength. Guests who lack the ability to generally hold on to things or to maintain an upright position should not ride attractions which require this, such as Splash, Star Tours, etc, just because there's a safety issue if they can't maintain an erect posture while on the ride.

Barring this, in all seriousness, no - your son will NOT fall out, fly out, what have you. The centrigual force on the drops will hold him in place, unless of course he chooses to stand up or anything. No kid has ever flown out of the Splash Mountain logs.

The only incident I can recall even remotely like this occurred at Knott's Berry Farm some while back on the flume drop of Perilous Plunge ... a lady fell out and died, but that was due to her wiggling out of the safety restraints that didn't fit properly or something like that. Basically, it's the equivalent of what would happen to your son if he stood up on Splash, or unbuckled his belt on Matterhorn and stood up, or jumped overboard onto the paddle wheeler of the Mark Twain, or so on.

If your kid can sit up by himself, and you're confident he's going to sit down and enjoy the ride like a proper young man, then there's absolutely no safety issue whatsoever, even if he can't reach the side rails.

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    No kid has ever flown out of a log, but I have heard stories of kids who accidently hit there jaw at the end of the drop but got extra-day passes. But try the back. I think Splash Mountain needs logs like WDW's and seatbelts to make sure your safe.
    They hit their jaw because they sarcastically flop down at the drop or otherwise act silly; you don't normally hit your jaw on the log on the drop just like you don't eat the dashboard whenever you slam on your brakes. Seatbelts on the log, at the waist, would not stop this sarcastic flopping either. Only OTSR's or a three-point would, but that's totally unneccessary and overkill for Splash, and it would actually be a safety risk for a log flume.

Seatbelts would NOT make the ride more safe, in any form. They are independently-floating logs on a guide track. Which means yes, they CAN flip over, just like the canoes, if rocked hard enough. If your log suddenly tips over, do you want to be seatbelted in under water and unable to stand up because of the weight of the log your buckled into?

Any seatbelts would HAVE to be able to be manually unbuckled like the current Matterhorn cars ... still no added measure of safety if someone's going to stand up ... they're going to unbuckle and stand up, just like the lady did on Matterhorn. What you're asking for is the illusion of safety that could, actually, cost lives if the logs did tip. The ride is perfectly safe as is, and centrigual force provides all the safety needed.

We went on with a 4year old and her mom sat with her on the last seat. It was wide enough for 2 and she knew she could be with her in case she panicked since it was her first time on SM.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    They hit their jaw because they sarcastically flop down at the drop or otherwise act silly; you don't normally hit your jaw on the log on the drop just like you don't eat the dashboard whenever you slam on your brakes. Seatbelts on the log, at the waist, would not stop this sarcastic flopping either. Only OTSR's or a three-point would, but that's totally unneccessary and overkill for Splash, and it would actually be a safety risk for a log flume.
    Seatbelts would NOT make the ride more safe, in any form. They are independently-floating logs on a guide track. Which means yes, they CAN flip over, just like the canoes, if rocked hard enough. If your log suddenly tips over, do you want to be seatbelted in under water and unable to stand up because of the weight of the log your buckled into?
    Any seatbelts would HAVE to be able to be manually unbuckled like the current Matterhorn cars ... still no added measure of safety if someone's going to stand up ... they're going to unbuckle and stand up, just like the lady did on Matterhorn. What you're asking for is the illusion of safety that could, actually, cost lives if the logs did tip. The ride is perfectly safe as is, and centrigual force provides all the safety needed.
    I wasn't really thinking that the seatbelt would stop them from hitting there jaw but more keep them from flying out but screw that idea anyway from what you said about the logs tipping over. I said logs like WDW's so you could be able to watch your kid or help hold them down during the drop. I never thought though that the logs could tip over with enough force. Thank you for telling me that.

File "logs flipping over" with "kid flies out" in the "never happened" bin.