Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Question No plans for a Tangled show????

So like many Disney animation fans, I'm less than thrilled about Tangled. From the title change, to the animation, to the slap stick style, I have no interest in this movie. That being said however, it's the perfect choice for a Fantasyland Theatre show. Why in the world aren't we getting an old school style stage show out of this? That has always been the tradition for new animated features, and it was rekindled last year with Princess and the Frogs Showboat Jamboree. With all the promotion going into Tron, and with the studio apparently disappointed with Princess and the Frog's earnings, you'd think they'd try to at least reach out to the older film fans too and make this as wide appealing as possible. But, no. Just a meet and greet???? and when are they gonna update those display windows in Main St??? Remember that tradition for each animated film? As much as they say they want to get back to their old style, they sure don't seem to be trying. Thoughts?

Re: No plans for a Tangled show????

I'll paraphrase what a person once posted: When Disney does nothing people complain, when Disney does something people say Disney doesn't do enough.

They took a brand new candy shop and converted it into well themed meet and greet. I think it would be hard pressed for a single character, who hasn't even posted box office numbers yet, to knock out the trifecta of Disney Princesses.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want another great stage show but, its way too early to be saying where is my show?

• Banned User

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, and Hunchback all had shows or parades which lasted several years the season of their release as a part of the promotion. All planned BEFORE they opened.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new stuff. However, Disney probably doesn't have to dump a lot of money into PFF theater and it provides a lot (show, meet and greet and storytelling).

Perhaps research has shown people really like meet and greets over shows. The parks and resorts president even mentioned meeting a princess as a highlight of trips to the Magic Kingdom (I know I know, FL). I think people really enjoy meeting the characters or at least seeing them around. I don't think we should say, oh just a meet and greet.

And yes, some of the main street windows are a bit stale. I did see ones for B&tB diamond edition and tinker bell's new movie.

• Minion

I just want to point out that while Disney marketing failed with this, the movie is an Alan Menken Musical Tangled (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture) by ALAN MENKEN - Download Tangled (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture) on iTunes
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    So like many Disney animation fans, I'm less than thrilled about Tangled. From the title change, to the animation, to the slap stick style, I have no interest in this movie.
    Seriously? Way to keep it positive... I have seen Tangled and can tell you it is nothing but a delight. Maybe you could see it before you write it off? But, wait, you then write:

That being said however, it's the perfect choice for a Fantasyland Theatre show. Why in the world aren't we getting an old school style stage show out of this? That has always been the tradition for new animated features, and it was rekindled last year with Princess and the Frogs Showboat Jamboree. With all the promotion going into Tron, and with the studio apparently disappointed with Princess and the Frog's earnings, you'd think they'd try to at least reach out to the older film fans too and make this as wide appealing as possible. But, no. Just a meet and greet???? and when are they gonna update those display windows in Main St??? Remember that tradition for each animated film? As much as they say they want to get back to their old style, they sure don't seem to be trying. Thoughts?
    Wow. So, you've already written off a movie that hasn't been released yet, but you have no problem beating Disney up for not putting a stage show in the Fantasyland Theatre or updating windows on Main Street....

There is no comparing Tangled and TRON - they are two completely different animals. There is much more riding on the release and success of TRON than Tangled.

I'm not sure where you live or what you view, but there is plenty of promotion for Tangled in print, billboards, radio and television. People know about this film. Bob Iger wants people to know about this film - so, no, just because it isn't receiving a small stage show doesn't mean they're not doing anything. While a meet & greet may not sound like much, it is certainly packing in the hoards of little girls wanting to meet Rapunzel.

Disneyland's Entertainment Department is responsible for the Fantasyland Theatre - did you think maybe they didn't have the appropriate budget requested to put up a stage show for Tangled? If you were being pitched a stage show for Tangled, as well as a nighttime event themed around TRON - which would you go for?

Personally, it is sad there isn't a better representation of the film in the parks. But, from a business stand point it makes sense. In addition - the music of Tangled doesn't exactly lend itself to a midday family-fun theme park show - it's a very different style, very folk-y. There is no real 'Under the Sea' moment. If anything, Enchanted is much more fitting. But, anyway...

• Embrace the kitsch!

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, and Hunchback all had shows or parades which lasted several years the season of their release as a part of the promotion. All planned BEFORE they opened.
    Oh, for the days when DL had to work to get people to visit. But why work when you can give the park away and make up the difference on the backs of the tourists?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Blew By You

I don't believe we'll be seeing Tangled. Probably not even taking our daughter to the Meet/Greet area. I do give Disney thumbs up for being creative with the story. By giving the characters a meeting area allows them to gradually build a presence in the park, instead of saturating the park with their presence (Duffy?). Good thinking.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

All the performers would trip on Rapunzel's hair.

This has been posted by someone else, but this is what Disneyland Paris did to introduce Tangled.

If only Disneyland could come close....

YouTube - Rapunzel and Flynn from Disney's Tangled arrive at Disneyland Paris!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Live entertainment is expensive to produce, and most guests don't come to Disneyland to see shows. They come for the rides, and to take their picture with Mickey Mouse. The guests that do see the live entertainment only do so as an afterthought. Besides, it's all about revenue and the bottom line. Shows cost money; using that same space to sell princess makeovers brings in money. It's all about the upsell. The current strategy is to get guests into the park, and give them as many opportunities as possible to spend money. The original "show" concept that was the driving force at Disneyland is gone. Now the mantra is "sell". That's why every inch of the Resort is crammed with hoodies, plush toys, and glow-in-the-dark robots.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

I agree I'm not seeing Tangled. Everyone in my family thinks it looks stupid from the commercials. I think this movie is gonna add to the bad year Disney has been having, but they do have me on Tron and I'm not even that much of a Tron fan. I think a show would get my attention better than a meet n greet. Meet n greet: You meet the characters, take pictures, and leave. Promotional show: Tells you the story before the movie comes out and helps you decide if you think it's good.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Having just gotten back from seeing Tangled, I think people should give it a chance. It's a wonderful film with a lot of heart and it saddens me people simply aren't going to see it. It is misrepresented in the commercials and should be seen to be appreciated.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    I agree I'm not seeing Tangled. Everyone in my family thinks it looks stupid from the commercials. I think this movie is gonna add to the bad year Disney has been having, but they do have me on Tron and I'm not even that much of a Tron fan. I think a show would get my attention better than a meet n greet. Meet n greet: You meet the characters, take pictures, and leave. Promotional show: Tells you the story before the movie comes out and helps you decide if you think it's good.
    Again I would like to reiterate that Disney Marketing blew it with this. It isn't anything like what they make it out to be. it's a musical, The villains song is really good, and so are the rest (they're already in iTunes)

this one was to point out the magic aspect
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Having just gotten back from seeing Tangled, I think people should give it a chance. It's a wonderful film with a lot of heart and it saddens me people simply aren't going to see it. It is misrepresented in the commercials and should be seen to be appreciated.
    Unfortunately, this means people are going to see it expecting the next "Shrek" and be highly disappointed. Myself, I've tried to keep an open mind, but the more I see, the more it looks like a Dreamworks ripoff. I'll wait for DVD on this one.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast