Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what is your favorite things to see/do that aren't in the guidebooks

In getting ready for my first trip out west in a couple weeks, I have learned of many things that I am excited to see that I never read about in any of the guidebooks, things like mickey climbing the matterhorn, or the new quarter hour IASW holiday display, so I was wondering if everyone would help start a thread of other things they love to see or do at the parks that the guidebooks might not have mentioned.

thanks for the help!

• Gay Man

Re: what is your favorite things to see/do that aren't in the guidebooks

One of my favorite things to do is to sit on one of the little hanf-circle benches on the castle drawbridge and watch the swans and the people. Heing what some of the kids (or parentd) call the swans is hilarious. Goose, Poopy duck, and Ostrich are all given names that made me laugh.

Visit the Disney Gallery - Above Pirates of the Carribean. View all of the art and then, If you see something you like, Buy it with print on demand - only about $25 for a nice sized print. Have fun!!!!!

The Art of the Craft Tour at the Grand Californian is one of the best attractions at Disneyland, but you need to make reservations at the concierge desk first thing in the morning.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

*) If with new people, pointing out the lamp over the firehouse is fun.

*) Sitting on main street's small porch with the wooden chairs and people watching.

*) Watching people exit rides. They are usually smiling and regaling. It's actually kinda neat.

*) Go to ToonTown at night, when most kids (if on a weeknight) are in bed and play with the all the props.

*) Find where the characters come and go (near the Plaza Inn restaurant or off Times Square) and you can hit them up when they come onto the scene or exit. Sometimes their 'handlers' are just as humorous. We had comments about spanking the 'bad dog' with Pluto and "Duck, it's what's for dinner" with Donald exiting.

Shoot, I had imagined more. Oh well, if I think of any, I'll let you know.

Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    One of my favorite things to do is to sit on one of the little hanf-circle benches on the castle drawbridge and watch the swans and the people. Heing what some of the kids (or parentd) call the swans is hilarious. Goose, Poopy duck, and Ostrich are all given names that made me laugh.
    I always try to convince my 7yr old the swans are animtronic.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

If you have extra time, just sitting and enjoying the magic is always fun...

• Disney Nazi

Try on all the funny hats at the Mad Hatters and take photos.

Drink a hot chocolate whilst watching the fireworks.

Ask the Monorail attendant if you can sit with the driver ..... way cool especially if you have little boys in your party.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

thanks everyone for all the great ideas so far - anyone else got some more?!>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Dole whip.

'Nuff said.

Another cool thing to do is try to hang out a bit in the elevator in HM. Being one of the last people through makes it extra creepy.

It's also fun to stand by and watch a few logs drop from Splash Mountain.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

I am told that if you ask (although I've never done it), you can pilot the Mark Twain and ride with the engineer on the Train.

I like to chat with people in line, especially if they don't look like someone I would normally chat with. Some times they don't respond, but we've made some good friends and found out great info this way.

• Junior Senior

Cooperative cast members will let you ride the elevator back up in the HM. Seeing the expanding pictures collapse back onto themselves was quite a trip for me. I don't know if it's in accordance with DL policy to let guests do it (I'd imagine it must be if only to allow a wheelchair-bound guest to chicken out after the elevator), but I've ridden the elevator up at least twice.

• Down Pluto!

I like the little things:

Watching the Cheshire Cat appear and disappear in the mirror in the Mad Hatter.

Going on the backside of Fowler's harbor and watching the Splash logs exit the briar patch and listen to the wet riders.

Getting coffee and sticky bun at the Bakery on Main Street just before the rope drop, then sitting somewhere on the outside ring of the hub and people watch.

In the cavern on BTMRR, stick my hand out where the water is falling and splash the person next to me.

Ride the Train around the park 3 or 4 times and see what is different at each station.

I like to not run everywhere, but stand still and look at the layers of detail most everyone else misses.

OK - I'm a DL Geek.

Quote Originally Posted by crinklebat
    Cooperative cast members will let you ride the elevator back up in the HM. Seeing the expanding pictures collapse back onto themselves was quite a trip for me. I don't know if it's in accordance with DL policy to let guests do it (I'd imagine it must be if only to allow a wheelchair-bound guest to chicken out after the elevator), but I've ridden the elevator up at least twice.
    When our oldest child (he's now 15) was only about 3 years old, we took him into the Haunted Mansion for the first time. By the time we got to the doom buggies he didn't want to go any further, so we asked the cast member for the nearest exit. They had us wait until the elevator was empty, then get back on it and ride it back to the surface.

I am told that if you ask (although I've never done it), you can pilot the Mark Twain and
    True. Kids get to "steer", ring the bell and blow the steam whistle. At the end, you can get a certificate of piloting. Just did it 3 weeks ago. The Captain did limit the group to 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast