Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Dreams do come true

Is tangled a new disney princess?

I know they are adding her doll to the pack with the princess box set, but it's unclean if they are making her a new princess. I know they made it known with princess and the frog. anybody know?

• Banned User

Re: Is tangled a new disney princess?

Yes, Rapunzel is a new Disney Princess. She is, according to an LA Times article, the last princess for a while due to a shift in film making and targeting their audiences accordingly. I can post the link if you wish to read the article.

• Dreams do come true

This upsets me, I know little girls will have something to love but I grew up loving the original princess movies. When they added Tiana after so many years it seemed needed to add an african american princess to the bunch, now it seems like they will be adding a new princess every year. I hope they don't.

• Banned User

Well, after Rapunzel, they aren't doing any more Princess films for a while. They are going after different stories and characters to reach a broader audience because what is the general audience for princess films? Little girls. Movies like Ratatouille attract everyone as a whole, and not just a select group. And the Princess concept is kind of dwindling, unfortunately. Little girls today want to be cute, and "hot" and popular. That's why shows like Wizards of Waverly Place, and (I hate the show, but it works) Hannah Montana work so well. Even iCarly is a major hit with little girls and tweens.

So what kind of films are they going to do? Well, to target the girls...something like the new Prom film that comes out in the spring time. It's like another version of High School Musical.

I personally am not a fan of this move, because I think that Princesses and their films are a major staple with the Disney brand, but I do understand their move, and I hope it works for them.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm surprised that sleeping Beauty Castle is not decorated with long hair.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Because it's Sleeping Beauties Castle? And not Rapunzel's, haha.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by kaylas View Post
    This upsets me, I know little girls will have something to love but I grew up loving the original princess movies. When they added Tiana after so many years it seemed needed to add an african american princess to the bunch, now it seems like they will be adding a new princess every year. I hope they don't.
    You can't expect Disney to cater to a single generation and their wants. Whether we like it or not, there are new little girls in the world who watch new Disney movies.

If Disney had that mindset, then they would have not added Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, and Jasmine in the 90s. Those princesses are imposing on the original Disney princesses... but think of how upset you would have been as a little girl if Disney just ignored them because they were too worried about upsetting a certain generation of people who grew up with Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen the movie yet. Before you pass judgment on whether Rapunzel should be a Disney princess or not, go see the movie. It's an amazing film and I think she has every right to be included in the Disney Princess line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Like.

I read the article in which Dafna Lemish provided that quote that little girls today are not interested in princesses; instead they desire to be "hot", etc. As much as that quote put my hair standing on end, I understood what she was trying to say. Girls today aren't growing up as often with traditional 'fantasies' that little girls once had...or if they do, they grow out of them much quicker. With the abundance of media that idolizes the attractive and modern young woman, fairy tales can come across as very dated and old-fashioned. However, I think there might have been a better way to discuss the story (i.e. Disney wants to focus on characters of all kinds, not just those that fit into traditional male/female fairy tale caricatures). I would have bristled much less had the focus been bringing a new cast of characters to Disney's feature film collection. The emphasis on young girls' desire to be "hot" (I think) was the reporter's provocative slant that didn't do the real story any favors. The real story, instead, is the seemingly calculated decision to go in a different direction on feature films for the foreseeable future.

I agree that fairy tales primarily serve a niche audience. As a little girl who would have been considered the 'sweet spot' audience when The Little Mermaid came out, I can remember all the little girls would be playing Ariel in the pool while all the boys did cannonballs. As a company, I understand that Disney is hoping to introduce stories that appeal to the broadest audience possible (eyeballs are money, afterall).

Overall, I hope the whims of young girls were not the impetus for this press release. I like to think that Disney is a brand that is robust to trends. (Sure their television programming is quite trendy, but I revere their feature films as an entirely different product all together.) To me, the best Disney movies are relatively timeless. Other than the animation techniques, you'd never know what decade they were made in. I hope that, regardless of the type of stories they choose to focus on, they maintain that "timeless classic" edge.

I thought it was bizarre that Disney brass felt the need to come out and say "no more fairy tales for now", particularly so close to the release of their newest fairy tale feature. I wish they would make it the goal to tell the best and most compelling stories imaginable. I hope they don't green light ideas based on categories (e.g. "Ok... we need a really good movie for boys ages 6-12" or "let's do another princess story"). Instead, my hope is that the best ideas always rise to the top.

The reason why I say all of this in this thread is because, when I first saw the teasers for Tangled a year ago, I thought to myself "what a great idea" and hoped that it would compare to Peter Pan, Pinocchio, and Cinderella. I thought it was yet another classic Disney tale, not "just another princess movie".

To me, Ariel, Jasmine, Tiana, and Rapunzel are all way more than princesses.... I just wish they were marketed that way!

Sorry.... way too much analysis. I'll go put the dunce cap on.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'm surprised that sleeping Beauty Castle is not decorated with long hair.
    Don't feed Disney marketing and management!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    At WDW they never said it was Stitch's castle but when the horrid Stitch's Great Escape came they decorated it in toilet paper along with "Stitch Rules".

And yes. According to Wikipedia she is going to be a Disney princess.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Wilderness Explorer

Tiki Room- I don't think you're overanalyzing it at all . You make very good points, and I agree.
    I don't think Disney should make limitations on what movies it makes simply because they've made X amount of movies or they need to satisfy a certain quota or appeal to a specific audience.
    As a boy I loved Aladdin, Hercules, and Lion King growing up... but those we mixed amongst all sorts of other great films.
    And hearing that they canceled Jack and the Beanstalk and Snow Queen kind of bums me out .
    I'm hoping we'll see more musical animated movies soon, Tangled was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    At WDW they never said it was Stitch's castle but when the horrid Stitch's Great Escape came they decorated it in toilet paper along with "Stitch Rules".
    Except Stitch didn't take up residency in the castle. He was just playing a prank on it.
    Not saying I agree with that marketing, but you can't really compare the two.
    The only way it would make sense to see Rapunzel's hair on the castle is if she lived there, therefore changing it from Sleeping Beauty's castle to Rapunzel's Castle. Whereas at WDW, Cinderella's Castle was still her castle... Stitch just messed with it.

Repunzel is a Princess, but is different than the others.

She is not demure, leads the action, and is the strong character in the movie, not Eugene.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Yes, Rapunzel is a new Disney Princess. She is, according to an LA Times article, the last princess for a while due to a shift in film making and targeting their audiences accordingly. I can post the link if you wish to read the article.
    While I'm certainly not up on all fairy tales, I'm pretty sure that they have used up most, if not all, of the fairy tales with princesses. If that is indeed the fact, then unless they make up their own princess tales and create brand new princesses, they have no choice but to start going in other directions.

• Future Skipper

Very good points, TikiRoom. I hope they decide soon to just do whatever movies would be the highest quality, not which ones would be most marketable to their tween girl audience. I mean, let's take a look at the summary of Prom:
    A group of teenagers get ready for their high school prom.

...I'm enthralled already.

• Future Disney Imagineer

She's most definitely a Disney Princess, but most likely will not be together with the other princesses on t-shirts and other Disney Princess merchandising. Because of her computer-animated-ness, her merchandise will most likely stand on her own. Therefore to my personal definition, she is not a Disney princess in the classic fashion.

• Dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    You can't expect Disney to cater to a single generation and their wants. Whether we like it or not, there are new little girls in the world who watch new Disney movies.

If Disney had that mindset, then they would have not added Ariel, Belle, Pocahontas, and Jasmine in the 90s. Those princesses are imposing on the original Disney princesses... but think of how upset you would have been as a little girl if Disney just ignored them because they were too worried about upsetting a certain generation of people who grew up with Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen the movie yet. Before you pass judgment on whether Rapunzel should be a Disney princess or not, go see the movie. It's an amazing film and I think she has every right to be included in the Disney Princess line-up.

Like.
    I never was passing judgment on the movie or saying I wasn't going to like the movie. I do plan on seeing it because it looks entertaining. I was just wondering if she was being added on the princess list. No matter if I think the movie is amazing or not I'm still going to be somewhat upset because it seems like they are adding the princesses rather quickly all over again. I do understand that this is their 50th animation movie but it seems like with the last movie Princess and the Frog they really took the time to let it be known that a new princess was coming out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast