Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

Here's my video of the show's opening. Main focus on the fountains.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

^
    Thanks, Ice101

for an Awesome HD shot of the fountains. So far so good.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I can see Anne Sweeney, underboss of the Disney Channels Worldwide, sitting in her office, and getting an email from Godfather Iger:

Anne:

We need higher ratings on the Disney Channel shows. More viewers equals more ad revenue.

Find a way to promote the new shows. Try some kind of synergy with the Parks and Resorts.

BOB IGER

THIS INFORMATION PRIORITY ONE. END OF LINE .

So Ms. Sweeney puzzled and puzzed, till her puzzler was sore. Then she thought of something she hadn't before! What's the easiest way to promote Disney shows and its merchandise? Parading it in front of guests at a Disney park! So she opens a new email and addresses it to Thomas Skaggs, capo of the Disney Parks and Resorts crews:

Tom:

Godfather Iger has ordered me to create more promotion of Disney Channel shows. Is there some way I can use the Parks to promote my shows?

Anne

And Thomas Skaggs writes back:

Anne:

No problem. I'll get the monkey horde in Burbank to knock out a quickie parade to showcase your shows. The guests at the Parks are used to cheap entertainment options nowadays. We just have to make it loud and flashy, and they won't realize they've paid hundreds of dollars just to watch a commercial. We can't lose! =P

Tom

So, a week later, a new "parade" is trotted out at Disney California Adventure. It's loud and flashy, and most guests are pleased. Non-AP guests are a captive cash cow. When they come to Disney, they want the most they can get out of their ticket. And that's why the Resorts are crammed to overflowing with merchandise. Every inch that can be used has some sort of something for sale. That's the key word here: SALE. It's all about the upsell and the bottom line. The old "SHOW" concept that was the primary focus at Disneyland is dead. Now, the mantra is "SELL". Disneyland has always sold souvenirs, yes, but not at the expense of the quality of the show that sells it. The monkeys in the Disney marketing team knows that if you play music from Disney shows and artists, a guest will have that song stuck in his/her head. They also know that if you put CD's and DVDs of those same songs in high traffic areas, odds are a good number of said guests will buy them.

KA-CHING!!!!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

^ I feel the same exact way. Disney Management doesn't care about quality anymore. They've never heard of it. Instead they have heard of money. Money, money, money. If they really want to give guest's their moneys worth they would give them quality attractions instead of commercials for crappy shows.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Remember when the Disney Channel was a pay premium channel, that you had to pay extra to get? Like Showtime, HBO, and Cinemax? Remember when people would save up all year, and drive all the way across the country just to spend a few days at Disneyland? Remember when the weekly Disney TV show on Sundays was the high point of the week?

Those times are gone forever.

While it is important to develop new technologies and move forward, it is a sad and dangerous thing to discard the Disney legacy simply to make more money. In the past, the creative process utilized by The Walt Disney Company was used primarily to create the best product possible. To make something at Disney was to make something that would last nearly forever. In our modern era, life is more fast-paced, and the things we use to make our daily lives easier are becoming more and more disposable. Clothing, food, appliances, even our cars are made to be used and then thrown away. It wasnít always that way. In the past, and for many years, appliance repair shops were a common sight in most American towns. A television set, refrigerator, or automobile were large investments for people, and when they broke down, they were taken to said repair shops. Today, however, things have become so inexpensive and readily available that itís cheaper to discard something when it breaks, rather than have it repaired. Itís the same way at Disney. In the past, it took many years to create an animated Disney film. Each frame of a film was done by hand; the end result was a masterpiece that can withstand the test of time. It was a very expensive and time consuming process. But, today, we have cheap computers to do all the work for us. At the Walt Disney Studios, films and television shows are cranked out almost daily. But, unlike their counterparts of years ago, todayís Disney films and television shows are disposable. They arenít meant to last. They are meant to have a limited shelf life, and then when consumers get tired of them, the films and tv shows are tossed into the garbage and forgotten. As Godfather Iger is so aware, consumer tastes are fickle and fleeting. Hence the avalanche of Disney television channels, movie, and merchandise that are available everywhere you look. Itís sad to think that once upon a dream, the Disney name meant quality and excellence. Nowadays, itís just another brand on the shelf at the grocery store.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Hey, Iger,

It appears that this ad for the Disney Channel is just another withdrawl from the Disney legacy:

-
    Iger quoting Steve Jobs ~ Steve Jobs is fond of talking about brand deposits and brand withdrawals. Any time you do something mediocre with your brand, that's a withdrawal. California Adventure was a brand withdrawal.
    What's is called when you do something LESS than mediocre?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    I can see Anne Sweeney, underboss of the Disney Channels Worldwide, sitting in her office, and getting an email from Godfather Iger:

Anne:

We need higher ratings on the Disney Channel shows. More viewers equals more ad revenue.

Find a way to promote the new shows. Try some kind of synergy with the Parks and Resorts.

BOB IGER

THIS INFORMATION PRIORITY ONE. END OF LINE .

So Ms. Sweeney puzzled and puzzed, till her puzzler was sore. Then she thought of something she hadn't before! What's the easiest way to promote Disney shows and its merchandise? Parading it in front of guests at a Disney park! So she opens a new email and addresses it to Thomas Skaggs, capo of the Disney Parks and Resorts crews:

Tom:

Godfather Iger has ordered me to create more promotion of Disney Channel shows. Is there some way I can use the Parks to promote my shows?

Anne

And Thomas Skaggs writes back:

Anne:

No problem. I'll get the monkey horde in Burbank to knock out a quickie parade to showcase your shows. The guests at the Parks are used to cheap entertainment options nowadays. We just have to make it loud and flashy, and they won't realize they've paid hundreds of dollars just to watch a commercial. We can't lose! =P

Tom

So, a week later, a new "parade" is trotted out at Disney California Adventure. It's loud and flashy, and most guests are pleased. Non-AP guests are a captive cash cow. When they come to Disney, they want the most they can get out of their ticket. And that's why the Resorts are crammed to overflowing with merchandise. Every inch that can be used has some sort of something for sale. That's the key word here: SALE. It's all about the upsell and the bottom line. The old "SHOW" concept that was the primary focus at Disneyland is dead. Now, the mantra is "SELL". Disneyland has always sold souvenirs, yes, but not at the expense of the quality of the show that sells it. The monkeys in the Disney marketing team knows that if you play music from Disney shows and artists, a guest will have that song stuck in his/her head. They also know that if you put CD's and DVDs of those same songs in high traffic areas, odds are a good number of said guests will buy them.

KA-CHING!!!!

Disneyland was much better before they brought in any ties to movies. Its a good thing that none of those shows like Sleeping Beauty, the True Life Adventures or the Mickey Mouse Club were in the parks back then.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

sarcasm noted.

Sure, original attractions at Disneyland were based on Disney films. But they were complimentary to their source. Nowadays Disneyland is used as a never-ending commercial.

It is difficult to get a good video or picture because of the location. During the middle of the day you are looking directly into the sun (Heavy Backlighting). It would look better filmed from the side.

I do not think this is the best ever production, but is a great improvement from "Dance Crew" that replaced the very good Drawn to the Majic. HSM-3 was overdue fpr a replacement (I preferred HSM-2). Compaired to HSM-3 it has more production value than the float, and can be seen by more people. It is not the best ever, no more than Playhouse Disney is a great show. As Playhouse is enjoyed by small children, this is aimed at the Tween crowd and does the job well and is much more watchable than "Dance Crew" or C!ASP. I was mostly releived that they did not make this an expansion in the direction of the NON_Disney Gangsta Mickey.

Here is a short video I shot from up front. I am sure others will post better soon.

YouTube - Disney Channel rocks Nov 26 10
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 11-27-2010 at 07:39 AM.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

It seems like Disney has created quite the conundrum for themselves. In retheming DCA, they created (for the most part) lands that are related to certain time periods, none of which are modern day. It is obvious that they have a real urge to incorporate "relevant" shows to entertain the younger audiences. But these shows completely contradict the rest of the time period. In the end it results in mixed messages and confusion. These shows need to go. As has been seen at Disneyland, there are other ways to entertain the younger audiences (Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, etc.) without completely contradicting the land that the show is in. Honestly, these shows would fit better in Downtown Disney.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.21.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

...is that monstrosity of a lack of theming they call a stage just sitting there all day in Paradise Park now? I was really hoping to be able to experience a nice, relaxing Paradise Park during the day
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Established 2005

There are ways to stay "relevant" and still be true to the theme and the atmosphere. Apparently, someone in the Entertainment Department needs a heavy dose of creativity. The ideas are not limitless, but there are themes that are possible. This is lazy and soulless.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post

KA-CHING!!!!

This

It's already a given that the DCA expansion will follow these same principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Disneyland was much better before they brought in any ties to movies. Its a good thing that none of those shows like Sleeping Beauty, the True Life Adventures or the Mickey Mouse Club were in the parks back then.
    Difference being that these movies and concepts were works of art, complemented Disneyland, and were done sparingly in their appropriate lands.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I hope this stays forever.

Do you all want to know WHY Disney is using movie and show references in the park and rarely do original ideas?

Go look at Duffy.
    Last edited by Kritter; 11-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.

• Still lost in Neverland

Very disappointing to see so many people actually saying they love this show. It's that type of attitude that just shows the stupid Entertainment Managers that they are doing the right thing. It's totally the wrong type of show for an area of the Park they are spending millions of dollars to re-theme to the Victorian era.

Does Entertainment even know what's being done to DCA? They have ruined the Hollywood Back Lot with that Horrible ElecTRONica garbage, then Mickey's Dance Crew shows up with a show that caused to much backlash they had to censor the words and now this right out in the open ruining the entire pier area???? Who is the idiot that keeps OKing this crud. I was only able to watch about one minute of that video. That show is just horrible.

The idea of a Swing Band or something from that era would also attract all the younger crowd that in now finding out how great the old time music is. Don't believe that? Go to Disneyland on a Saturday night and go watch the young and old dance at Carnation Gardens, having a great time with the Swing Band era. That type of show should be over at DCA in Paradise Pier now and they wouldn't need some horrific piece of junk as a backdrop that has to be set up and torn down daily. I don't care if it only takes 10 minutes to set up or tear down. It sits there all day long destroying the view of the Lagoon. Just the fountains at certain points in the show would be background enough. And the music would totally fit the new design of the area.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast