Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 132
  1. #61

    • Future Indy Castmember
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Torrance, California, United States
    Posts
    5,547

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    They moved the show to Paradise Park because of construction at the park entrance. Remember HSM3 was forced to use the elecTRONica stage during the end of its run.. Disney Dance Crew had already taken up the stage in Hollywood, why not make use of the empty venue at the other side of the park? Besides, I think the fountain integration is pretty cool.
    Although the empty Millionaire building could've been converted to house the show. I think the fountain intergration is cool as well. I'll save my review until I see the show myself.



    Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011



    The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

  2. #62

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,729

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Throw around all the snobbish labels you want, doesn't change the fact that the Disney tween portfolio is rubbish. A hit and run tactic by the Disney company to target immature children of age who will do anything to act more adult like. Ironically these children end up disliking the very same shows that they were fans of.
    Your opinion - but one that is far outweighed by over a decade of success. People end up disliking? You mean the teen phase where it's not cool to like 'kid' stuff? Really that's what you base your argument on? I guess Mickey Mouse is rubbish too - because a good portion of older teens try to distance themselves from their childhood attraction to him as well.

    Just because something doesn't appeal to you - don't make it rubbish. Shows like iCarly, Good Luck Charlie, Drake and Josh, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Wavery Place, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, That's So Raven, and many others from the various networks all represent a genre of age targeted sitcom that spans the gap from childrens morning and afternoon cartoons till they migrate to more Prime Time entertainment. Rubbish to you means billions to others, with multiple generations of success. So I think your opinion on the matter is weak at best in the face of repeated success of the formula over multiple iterations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    This is not quality family entertainment designed to withstand the test of time, it is a short term marketing gimmick that panders to a small segment of young teens who are entering adult hood. To me this genre is no better than gangsta Mickey.
    Nor was Mickey Mouse Club (how much do you see that in reruns anymore?) or 99% of most television shows. Dallas, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, Bonanza, Happy Days, Brady Bunch - they all 'expire' and fall out of favor. It's not a medium that is timeless - it's material specifically aimed at specific time period and snapshot of society at that time.

    Even the most stoic types, like the Andy Griffith show can't keep a presence today.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  3. #63

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,274

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    All the 'how is this victorian' or 'it doesn't fit!' talk is pretty hypocritical. How does any of your favorite parades such as Parade of Dreams fit into Main Street?

    Temporary shows and parades have never really fit into the lands. These shows are overall Disney entertainment offerings - not adjunts to the land themselves (like the actors on main street, or NoS are).

    My only beef would be is them taking over the soundtrack of the area too early - that would be an issue - and one that is easily fixed. They don't need to hype the show too much, too early.

    And some of you will never like the live-action tween material of Disney - ever. Just accept that Disney added new genres they target. Be it lizzy mcguire, or hannah montana today - its done, its EXTREMELY successful, and it doesn't resonate with you. Live with it - you'll be much happier at the end of the day.

    I'm sure some people felt the same way about Walt and his thirst for the True Action Adventures direction he took the studios instead of just pumping out more and more shorts and feature length animated films. Or how about that Mickey Mouse Club??

    The fact there isn't more 7 minute Fab 5 shorts has nothing to do with a focus on Hannah Montana - it's because that business model died with the local cinema as your primary entertainment feed in the 50s with the boom of television. People need to stop acting like this material somehow is responsible for the lack of other content from Disney.

    The hate on the Disney tween portfolio really just comes across as snobbish.
    This. I 100% agree!

  4. #64

    • Love HD videos!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water
    Posts
    1,717

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    I'm very happy that they place the show there.

    Trust me, Paradise Park is always Deserted! all day long except during the evening hour for WOC.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360


  5. #65

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,729

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
    Parades are just that. . .parades. Passing entertainments. Except for Celebrate! That doesn't qualify as entertainment to me.

    This is a show, smack dab in the middle of a Victorian Pier. It doesn't move, it stagnates.
    A show that only runs certain times of the day - and who's very appearance is temporary. It doesn't really make any attempt at making itself at home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Calling people on this board "Snobbish" isn't doing your argument any good. And you would do well to apologize.
    I called the behavior snobbish - you are free to disagree or not. But why not prove it wrong rather then try to bury it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    And your argument (especially the portion underlined by me) is just completely wrong. First of all, this show is NOT a parade. It's a stage show performed in only one location
    I didn't call it a parade - I said (check what you outlined) TEMPORARY SHOWS and parades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    As for shows never fitting into their venue, that is just an utter lie. The Fantasyland Theaters shows were perfectly themed to the land they were located in. Tiana's ShowBoat Jubilee was AMAZINGLY well done in incorporating the theme and all of the infastructure into it's land. The Hunchback Show utilized the area behind Big Thunder Ranch in a great way too. The use of the Tomorrowland Terrace stage for the Jedi Training also works well with Star Tours being one of TL's attractions and the "space theme", which TL uses.
    And TLT Dance Club? HSM? Fantasmic? WoC? elecTRONica? NYE parties? Donald and Mickey in Princess Stage shows?Just to name a few... This isn't Disney trying to build East High School in the middle of the pier. Keep some perspective - this is just a dance show that runs several times a day. Disney never routes their parades based on the lands either and goes 'OOOO, better turn here, don't want a theme conflict!!'. It's a performance in a amphitheater setup FOR performances.

    Would everyone be up in arms over U2 performing here if they weren't playing rag time tunes? No - the Disney fickle will turn a blind eye when it's convenient for their arguement because they actually like the material in the question... and when they don't, they'll try to find any sticks and stones they can come up with to throw at it to try to justify their dislike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    If they are going to advertise for ther Disney Channel, then place the show where it fits best - Hollywood picture backlot. Place it in that backlot stage where there is seating and shade for guests.
    That's a valid point and good suggestion of a better location - yet most of the complaints are over how 'rubbish' the material is... more then it's a poor location.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  6. #66

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,729

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    1. There's a huge difference between a show that can hide itself during the day and one that constantly shows ugly infrastructure.
    2. World of Color is in a whole different league and was actually made with integrity and creativity, the positives greatly outweigh any negatives.
    3. The whole land shuts down during the showing of World of Color. The theme of the land is not interrupted because it's not open to begin with.
    4. World of Color could not be implemented in any other part of the park, Disney Channel Rocks can.
    1. This show set is temporary - and setup in an amphitheatre setup for performances. It's a heck of a lot better then a sci-fi stage in the middle of a plaza.
    2. Translated - I like WoC, I don't like Tween Media.. so WoC gets a free pass
    3. Translated - I like WoC - theme doesn't matter if the outcome is liked. (same works for Fantasmic too)
    4. WoC was built to be a water show - it didn't have to be. So again - WoC gets a free pass because its 'good'.. tween = bad.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  7. #67

    • X-S TECH Demonstrator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    6,315

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    Trust me, Paradise Park is always Deserted! all day long except during the evening hour for WOC.
    With TSMM still pulling in crowds I find this hard to believe.



    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

  8. #68

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,729

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    With TSMM still pulling in crowds I find this hard to believe.
    Why? TSMM is on the other side of the lake/lagoon. He said Paradise PARK.

    And yes, remember all those complaints before the WoC work?? About this amphitheatre that did nothing and was just a waste?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  9. #69

    • Love HD videos!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water
    Posts
    1,717

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    With TSMM still pulling in crowds I find this hard to believe.
    Paradise Park is a completed ghost town every single day.

    I agree with you flynnibus 1000%

    This show only performs Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only up until 2:00 PM. After that everyone can all have your so called Victorian Theme back. I don't know what is up with all the negatively.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360


  10. #70

    • Armchair Imagineer-er.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Nuevo, California
    Posts
    3,228

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    I feel that it would be so much better to have a jazz/ragtime band/swing show during the day.

    Get the dancers in theme-appropriate clothing, and let some people from the crowd join in for some fun dances.
    @Monorailorange

  11. #71

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,786

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    1. This show set is temporary - and setup in an amphitheatre setup for performances. It's a heck of a lot better then a sci-fi stage in the middle of a plaza.
    Temporary for the whole day until WOC starts playing....

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    2. Translated - I like WoC, I don't like Tween Media.. so WoC gets a free pass
    3. Translated - I like WoC - theme doesn't matter if the outcome is liked. (same works for Fantasmic too)
    The problem with your argument is that your treating WOC and Disney Channel Rocks as equals, they are not by a long shot. The fact your even comparing the two is an insult to the imagineers and all their hard work.

    By definition something that costs 100 million dollars, blows audiences away, gets a huge turnout, and can't be staged anywhere else should get a free pass in regards to theme, the positives far outweigh any negatives. What would you have them do, rip out WOC because it's unfair DCR isn't being treated the same way?

    You are also making this about what I like, it's not. The number of spectators for each of these shows speak for themselves.

    4. WoC was built to be a water show - it didn't have to be.
    If Disney felt a water show was the best way to execute this concept then so be it. They shouldn't limit themselves from going all out just because the theme is temporarily interrupted for a couple hours when the land is shut down anyway. They had no choice to put this show in the lagoon, the same cannot be said about DCR. Why add to the thematic problem when there is a realistic alternative?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #72

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    862

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    It looks like a good effort, and a whole lot of good potential ideas... but why Disney Channel? The problem is the concept. It may be a well executed show, but it doesn't belong in paradise pier. You can have the nicest outdoor waterpark... but if it's in a cold climate it's useless. It has potential, but isn't in the right place.

    If we could just get a show that fits, and still uses the fountains, as well as an appropriate subject for the pier, it could be a true hit. Think about tokyo disneysea's daytime shows. They are great because they pull good ideas and resources and FIT where they are... If DCA could do that, we'd have an fiirst class theme park show.

    As for World of Color not fitting in either... Do any of the nighttime shows fit where they are? Fireworks? Fantasmic? Why are fireworks being shot above a castle? I think that from the start, Disney's Nighttime shows kind of get a pass because they are just how they are. The come from the Magic that is found in the Disney parks, embracing the mystery and dreams that can only come to life at nighttime. As long as the nighttime show has Something to do with the overall message of the park, I think they are acceptable, no matter the location. (i.e. Epcot's Illuminations brings together the overall message of humanity displayed in the park, Walt Disney World's Wishes brings the fantasy of the park to life. In the same way, DCA's World of Color summarizes the entire experience of Walt Disney's journey and the magic of California... illustrated by the amazing characters that have come from them.)
    Last edited by Epcot2000; 11-27-2010 at 08:08 PM.

  13. #73

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,786

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Your opinion - but one that is far outweighed by over a decade of success. People end up disliking? You mean the teen phase where it's not cool to like 'kid' stuff? Really that's what you base your argument on? I guess Mickey Mouse is rubbish too - because a good portion of older teens try to distance themselves from their childhood attraction to him as well.
    Thanks for proving my point, Mickey continues to be special even after adulthood has been reached. No matter what your age, Mickey Mouse continues to be an icon that everyone appreciates regardless if your 2 or 100 years old, can't say the same about Hannah Montana. I would love to hear you argue that one.

    Just because something doesn't appeal to you - don't make it rubbish. Shows like iCarly, Good Luck Charlie, Drake and Josh, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Wavery Place, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, That's So Raven, and many others from the various networks all represent a genre of age targeted sitcom that spans the gap from childrens morning and afternoon cartoons till they migrate to more Prime Time entertainment. Rubbish to you means billions to others, with multiple generations of success. So I think your opinion on the matter is weak at best in the face of repeated success of the formula over multiple iterations.
    Just because something makes money doesn't make it good. Again, Disney is targeting an immature audience that will do anything to be more adult. That same audience turns their back on the show a few years later, something Mickey never experienced.


    Nor was Mickey Mouse Club (how much do you see that in reruns anymore?) or 99% of most television shows. Dallas, Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, Bonanza, Happy Days, Brady Bunch - they all 'expire' and fall out of favor. It's not a medium that is timeless - it's material specifically aimed at specific time period and snapshot of society at that time.

    Even the most stoic types, like the Andy Griffith show can't keep a presence today.
    Is that why we see shows like I love Lucy and Andy Griffith constantly on television? Maybe in your world those shows don't have an audience but reality says different...

    Was I born when I love Lucy or Andy Griffith was made? No, not by a long shot but I still love watching them. They are quality productions made with real talent, creativity, and skill, something DCR truly lacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    As for World of Color not fitting in either... Do any of the nighttime shows fit where they are? Fireworks? Fantasmic? Why are fireworks being shot above a castle? I think that from the start, Disney's Nighttime shows kind of get a pass because they are just how they are. The come from the Magic that is found in the Disney parks, embracing the mystery and dreams that can only come to life at nighttime. As long as the nighttime show has Something to do with the overall message of the park, I think they are acceptable, no matter the location. (i.e. Epcot's Illuminations brings together the overall message of humanity displayed in the park, Walt Disney World's Wishes brings the fantasy of the park to life. In the same way, DCA's World of Color summarizes the entire experience of Walt Disney's journey and the magic of California... illustrated by the amazing characters that have come from them.)
    That's another great point.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-27-2010 at 09:18 PM.

  14. #74

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: "Disney Channel Rocks" Much better Show

    did anyone get any new video of the show and taking it down i wanna see how it all goes down.


    It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

  15. #75

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Removing Disney Channel Rocks

    I don't mean to de-rail your heated debates of the show but here are some more updates about the show:


    There is no real changes about the show itself but one thing to note that after the first show, and the exit music of "This is Our Song" from Camp Rock 2, the speakers then blast the area's standard jazz.

    For everyone wondering how the show is removed, here is an hour and a half of my trip poured into one post:


    The dancers exit under the bridge by the Grotto


    The control room for WoC is used during the show, I would assume specifically for the fountains.


    Onto the real stuff. For the first 15-20 minutes or so, really detailed work was done. The panels on the bottom of the stage were dismantled, the speakers, lowered, no major work. As you can see, the panels reveal the infrastructure underneath the stage.


    Another view of the stage from behind the viewing area.


    The grey panels are then loaded onto thing-a-ma-jig #1. But they then sit there for a while and do not move.


    The stair well is then dismantled


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1scream/5213739614/
    The stage is then lowered but not completely, just to meet the level of the first tier. Short video fo the stage lowering, click here.


    At this point, the three stage pieces have been seperated. The first piece on the right, looking at the stage, is then wheeled off onto the first tier with the fences opening up.


    Set pieces from the show are loaded onto the stage platform and then a special towing machine that could be considered similar to the ones used on airplanes carries away the set piece.


    The stage railings are dismantled.


    The other end piece is then rolled off the stage.


    Up close shot at the wheels


    The craziest thing is the side pillars. They consist of two seperate pieces, the top portion, and a base attached directly to the small stages. A rope is tied to the top, main section and is slowly lowered with the CM's catching it below.


    The process is repeated for the other pillar and they are placed on this rolling platform.


    It's a tight fit but the structure barely fits through the paradise park covers.


    It is then paraded to the back stage area.


    The rest of the set pieces are placed on the stage platforms. The towing machine proceeds to parade these out of Paradise Park and down the parade route.


    Out the make shift parade gate.


    The rest of the set pieces are moved out towards the Wine area and pushed by man power.

    The entire process took right around an hour. Saying that there were some rookie mistakes too, like lowering the stage before realizing that there was still a set piece that needed to be moved onto the tier, and not position the stages correctly so they would fit through the gate. I can easily see this process being cut dramatically in time as the CM's do it more often.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Channel Renews "Charlie and Lola"
    By tjcjr in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •