• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Finding Disney magic outside of the parks?

Its quickly coming up one year since I proposed at Disneyland. Seeing as our wedding, and Disney honeymoon is still the better part of 11 months off, I thought I'd turn to MiceChat for some ideas on how to bring a bit of Disney Magic down under this New Year. I want to mark the anniversary of our last Disneyland holiday and hopefully make this new year comparable to the last one.

Anyone have any suggestions on how they get their Disney fix when they're unable to visit in person?

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Halloween 2011

Re: Finding Disney magic outside of the parks?

I've got a number of items collected over the years, but what most people notice is that I've got Disneyland set up on my dining table. I used the Sears Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Main Street playset (often available on Ebay) and combined it with the WDW Monorail playsets (Haunted Mansion, Cinderella Castle, Space Mountain, Main Street Train Station). In addition, I've made several of Trader Sam's paper models and added them to the scene (Tower of Terror, Tomorrowland Rocket Ship to the Moon).

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Disney On Ice is fun (if they're not doing that stupid High School Musical thing this year) and it's the closest thing to Disney we get around here (in Iowa).
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

While nothing can match the magic and feeling of actually being at Disneyland... The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe having a night in, watching some favorite Disney films? or maybe going to see Tangled if it's out at the time?

Just doing your best to try to recreate the moment and atmosphere of Disney, not sure how, but that's what I got...

And congratulations! :-)
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion of Chernabog

Be one of those nerds who recreates a Disney attraction in a spare room? I am designing a ride for fun, so I can't really insult such people, but yeah.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• VFX Artist & Dark Lord

I used to get a mini-fix by going to my local Disney Store. I just found out, however, that they have closed my local Disney Store. Fortunately there are others still within a hour of my home.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Quote Originally Posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
    I used to get a mini-fix by going to my local Disney Store. I just found out, however, that they have closed my local Disney Store. Fortunately there are others still within a hour of my home.
    I am personally in the process of convincing Disney to reopen the Disney Stores in Australia! (Dear Disney, please contact me!)
    Flying to Hong Kong airport might be the closest Disney Store at the moment.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• my favorite sociopath

Video Podcasts on my Ipod. I have almost all the major rides and shows. Great for breaks at work.

• Blew By You

My daughter and I look at past movies I took while at Disneyland
    We also go onto YouTube and find some videos of Disneyland, and we recently found a trove of Christmas vids for our enjoyment.
    We sometimes visit the Disney Store at the local Santa Clarita Mall, but that's only if we go to the mall.
    My daughter wears her Mouse Ears hat.
    We also make up stories about Disneyland, like who will we see next time we go, or which attraction we like the best because...and that helps with her kindergarten lessons too.

• My turn

Movie marathons!
    Also listening to the park soundtracks.

Sometimes (when I have time) I watch YouTube videos of the attractions/shows, especially ones of the parks I've never been to.