• Disneyland fan since 1967

Deadline for Initial Use of Annual Pass After Purchase?

Hi there. The Annual Pass website (for "prospective" passholders, not those who already hold them) does not answer this question, so I'm hoping you all can help.

I am going to be buying Annual Passes for my spouse and myself, but our trip isn't until May 2011 -- in other words, the first time we would use the Annual Pass is the middle of May. I understand that you can purchase the Annual Pass online, and the 12-month period in which it is valid would commence on the date we first use it; but how far in advance can one purchase the AP prior to first using it?

When I called the Disneyland Guest Relations phone number this morning, the CM put me on hold for a bit and came back with an answer of "30 days." He said, "They just changed it; you can't buy it that far in advance before using it." This sounded to me like a policy-waiting-to-happen and not an actual policy that DLR has formally implemented. Can anyone confirm that this is true, and provide a source?

Obviously, if I purchased the APs in the next few weeks, and AP prices went up in, say, February (OK, I know it's not likely to rise in February, but just for the sake of argument...), then we would have gotten a good deal by purchasing very early - almost six months' ahead. So I can see the rationale for imposing a 30-day deadline between purchase and initial use. Just looking for confirmation from the experts, as I trust you more than the very green-sounding CM with whom I spoke.
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Deadline for Initial Use of Annual Pass After Purchase?

There really isn't a limit set in the system. If you order the Annual Pass Certificates online and have the physical ones shipped to you, they'll usually have a date of like 1/3/12 on them. And all that date really works out to being is a price guarantee date. After that day, you MAY be responsible for any differences in the pricing of your annual passes.

TL;DR - Order them when you want. They will still be valid when you get to the parks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

The only thing I can add is that I know that when you buy just regular park passes from the Disney Store or online, they will have an expiration date which usually corresponds to when they are planning on raising their prices. I'm pretty sure that there is a certain month each year (I think just prior to the Summer rush) that is when they raise the prices. They put the expiration date on them so that you don't go out and buy like 20 of them and use them over the next 10 years with your spouse to get a great deal later when the entry price is now $10-$20 dollar more than it was when you originally bought your ticket.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

I JUST bought my girlfriend's Deluxe AP on November 22nd for our trip in two weeks. Right on the ticket it states - Redeem By: 12/31/2011

So if they changed it, they did it within the last week... which I doubt. 30 days doesn't sound right either. It's not uncommon at all to purchase tickets well in advance. If it was 30 days, it would have to be made very clear when purchasing the tickets. That just doesn't seem logical to me.

Thank you for the replies so far. It's interesting (alarming?) that the Guest Relations folks are saying something different from what the usual practice has been. Because I'd like to give these as a gift, it would be a bit harsh to impose a 30-day deadline for initial use, so I'm hoping this was just a wayward CM and not a new policy just hitting the wire.

UPDATE: I took a leap of faith and purchased two AP gift vouchers just now on the website, and the responses here look 100% accurate. The "Redeem By" date is December 31, 2011, so I have all of next year to get our fannies into the Park to initiate our APs. Thanks all!

NEVER call Guest Relations about tickets or passes. Please call Guest Services at 714-781-4400; trust me as someone who seriously know what they are talking about on this matter. Guest relations knows the basics of tickets and passes but Guest Services deals with only tickets and passes. Usually when you call Guest Relations and get put on hold with ticket or pass questions it is because they are asking each other (in which case, like your example they give misinformation) or asking the Guest Services department. So call Guest Services for ticket questions.

Anyways, when you buy the pass online or at a grocery store it will have an exp date on the tickets. Right now the ones bought online have a use by date of I want to say 12/31/10 but it might have changed since I last saw it. That might be where the Guest Relations guy went wrong was in looking at the website and seeing the use by date on others and assuming it applies. Nifty bit of information even if the ticket has expired (so long as it is unused) they will apply the value towards current priced ticket media. So if you buy an annual pass at the current price, the ticket expires but the prices dont change it is still honored as that pass. If the prices do change then you just pay a little difference in price.