Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Talking A Monorail Man Review: New Disney Potato Chips (rebranded Jimmy Chips)

A Monorail Man Review: New Disney Potato Chips

A couple of weeks ago, Disneyland introduced new Disney Parks branded bags of Potato Chips, replacing the Lay’s chips previously available. The relationship that Lays had with Disneyland goes all the way back to the year the park opened, 1955 with the Frito Kid. Plus, who can forget Casa de Fritos? As late as 2007, Disneyland announced a multi-year partnership with Frito Lay. Is that relationship over? It would seem so with these new Disney branded potato chips.

A quick UPC search of the 044885411049 tells me that the 44885 prefix comes from a brand called Crispy Snack. Specifically, they make a snack called Jimmy Chips – these new Disney chips look the same and have some of the same quality as Jimmy Chips. It’s clear these are the nearly the same product.

This review will be broken up into three parts:
    - Flavor and Quality of New Chips
    - Advantages and Disadvantages of Disney Branded Potato Chips
    - Would Walt approve?

IMPORTANT! This review was done outside of the parks to ensure that the full flavor of the chips could be experienced, and no possible sense distractions (such as smells) would affect the review. This may bias the chips for being experienced outside Disney Parks. Also, the full chip experience may be different between Disneyland and Walt Disney World due to shipping times, environment, etc.

Flavor and Quality of Disney Potato Chips
    First, let’s start with some photos. Here’s the bag and the average serving of 1oz of Disney Potato Chips:

They have a nice golden hue to them, and appear visually thicker than the previous Lay’s offerings.

As you can see, the portion size is just about the same as the previous Lay’s offerings. The chips were delicately transported from the park to the testing site, so the broken chips are just about the same as when the bag was handed to me by the Cast Member at the Stage Door café.

Here’s a close-up of a single full chip. Notice the golden edges and slight bubbly appearance.

When I bit into my first chip, I got a real crunch, much better than Lay’s. The bag claims that these we’re “Kettle cooked” and I could almost agree. They are a little thin compared to other brands of Kettle chips I have had.
    As for the flavor, it’s solid. Again, I found the overall flavor to be better than Lay’s. However, with this better flavor comes a price. The chips are quite greasier than Lay’s. Be sure to grab a couple of extra napkins.

Back of package, with nutritional facts.

As for the nutrition, the new Disney Potato Chips are slightly healthier than the previous Lay’s potato chips. Here’s a full breakdown of Disney vs. Lay’s (based off information from the Lay’s website):
    Code:
    Nutrition Element:	Disney	Lay’s
    Calories		150	150
    Calories from Fat	80	90
    Total Fat		9g	10g
    Saturated Fat		1g	1g
    Sodium			120mg	150mg
    Carbohydrate		15g	15g
    Dietary Fiber		< 1g	1g
    Protein			2g	2g
    Vitamin C		15%	10%
    Iron			2%	2%
    Vitamin E		Unknown	6%
    Thiamin (B1)		Unknown	2%
    Niacin (B3)		Unknown	6%
    Vitamin B6		Unknown	4%
    Phosphorus		Unknown	4%
    Magnesium		Unknown	4%
    Zinc			Unknown	2%
    Disney’s packaging failed to mention any of the other fortified vitamins and minerals. However, the calories from fat, sodium, and total fat surprised me that the Disney chips are lower. The Disney chips taste better and are slightly healthier for the same amount. You’ll also notice that the chips are Gluten Free, and Vegan – just like Lay’s.

Taste/Quality: 4/5 – Would have been a full 5/5 if given the other nutritional facts that Lay’s offers.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Disney Branded Potato Chips

Let’s take a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages of Disney Potato Chips:

Advantages:
    • Package is a clear souvenir. The Disney Parks label tells me that these chips are “Authentic and Original”. They use this same branding on their merchandise. Clearly this indicates the bag is a souvenir.
    • Disney Parks house brand is cheaper for Disney. Just like Market Pantry with Target, having house-branded chips allows Disney to save some money by using their own brand.

Disadvantages:
    • Guests don’t know quality of Disney brand chips. I didn’t trust the idea of Disney chips until I was given a bag with a Corn Dog. I wouldn’t have bought these on their own. Could this be affecting overall resort chip sales?
    • Loss of long time park sponsor. Another long-term park sponsor bites the dust. Coke seems like the only one left.

Advantages and Disadvantages: Split. Can’t really rate this one with two in each column.

Would Walt Approve?

Now comes the best part. I tear apart famous quotes from Walt Disney to apply to the specific modern not-really-applicable Disney situation:

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." – Approve - Based on this quote, both Parents and Children could have fun with a bag of Disney Potato Chips together, so this gets a pass.

“I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things.” – Approve – Based on this quote, Disney has never tried Potato Chips before, or been successful for them. Clearly this is now “other things”.

“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” – Disapprove - Clearly creating Disney Potato Chips is a possible thing, and therefore is not fun for Walt.

“…and Daddy had to sit on the park bench eating peanuts and popcorn while the kids rode alone” – Disapprove – Clearly Walt was a peanuts and popcorn man. Potato Chips were not an enjoyed snack by Walt according to the extensive knowledge of him through razor-thin quotations.

Would Walt Approve? Undecided.

Summary:
    Disney has new chips at their theme parks. Based on UPC code, they may be rebranded Jimmy Chips. They are better than the previous Lay’s chips, and are slightly healthier. It’s sad we lost the long-term Lay’s sponsorship, and it’s unknown if Walt would have ever wanted to see Disney branded chips.

Overall score: 4/5
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 12-04-2010 at 04:25 AM.
    -Monorail Man

• Shablagoo!

Re: A Monorail Man Review: New Disney Potato Chips (rebranded Jimmy Chips)

Best review ever. I especially like the use of the Walt quotes.

• Found my prince!

I had them when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I actually like them better than the Lays chips.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

“…and Daddy had to sit on the park bench eating peanuts and popcorn while the kids rode alone” – Disapprove – Clearly Walt was a peanuts and popcorn man. Potato Chips were not an enjoyed snack by Walt according to the extensive knowledge of him through razor-thin quotations.

But you did say Frito-Lay has been with Disney since park opening. Wouldn't it then be approved since Walt was there when Frito-Lay was in the park and got their own restaurant?

I was afraid they wouldn't be that good but was pleasantly surprised. To me, they seem less greasy than Lay's.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peabody View Post
    I was afraid they wouldn't be that good but was pleasantly surprised. To me, they seem less greasy than Lay's.
    we need another test. Somebody get a bag of disney chips and a bag of lays, dump them on a brown paper bag or napkin, leave them and see how much grease is in both chips...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    But you did say Frito-Lay has been with Disney since park opening. Wouldn't it then be approved since Walt was there when Frito-Lay was in the park and got their own restaurant?
    Clearly a lack of a true defined Walt quote on Potato Chips has me to believe that this may have been a comprise he made in the early days to get Disneyland off the ground. The world may never know Walt's true opinion on potato chips...
    -Monorail Man

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Kettle Style chips good - dumping Frito-Lay bad, if only for breaking a precedent. Lay's does make a full assortment of Kettle Cooked style products that could easily be House-Label packaged for Disney.

Remember, once upon a time Walt diplomatically had BOTH Coca-Cola (Refreshment Corner) and Pepsi-Cola (Golden Horseshoe) in the park as both sponsors and vendors. I wouldn't go around treating those relationships casually, they can be a huge asset in trying times.

Oh, and Frito-Lay North America is owned by PepsiCo. That might have some bearing on the decision, if Coke was pressuring them to buy elsewhere.

I can't find that company - Is there a "USDA Plant Number" or other code on the package that would give a clue as to the makers? Disney might not want to put it on there ("It's a Trade Secret!") but there are certain USDA guidelines that require products to be easily and quickly traceable back to the source.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great review, seriously the best of a new Disneyland Resort product I've read yet. Concise, detailed, and has the important "using old Walt quotes to back up opinion" used to wonderful satiric effect. Love it. More please.

• Minion of Chernabog

Gotta love the Walt quotes.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    I can't find that company - Is there a "USDA Plant Number" or other code on the package that would give a clue as to the makers? Disney might not want to put it on there ("It's a Trade Secret!") but there are certain USDA guidelines that require products to be easily and quickly traceable back to the source.
    There is - US41104. Nothing came up in my searches though.
    -Monorail Man

• Some imagination, huh?

A very swaying argument to say the least and thanks for the Walt quotes, I would never enjoy anything that he wouldn't approve of. However, I still will not eat this kettle chips for one reason--I don't like kettle chips.

But you almost got me MM!

• We Want The Redhead

Nicely done Monorail Man. Musta been hard doing that taste test with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Seasick

This thread is pure awesomeness!
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

So.

Now I'm going to have to find a place to store all those empty collectable potato chip bags? I guess I have room for a few next to the empty tins of Disney mints, but if they start doing seasonal limited edition bags, I'm in trouble.

Do you know if they will be giving free refills?
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast